Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 109003 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #435 on: February 13, 2013, 08:55:04 PM »
Salvation Army today - "Italian leather purse" with the tags, in very good shape.  Striped heavy lining in perfect condition.  Messenger bag styling and LONG shoulder strap.  A little saddle soap to remove something (dust or water spots?) and I'll think about using shoe polish later.....

$4.99

25% off because it is Wednesday and they are doing a "clearance" of overstock (seriously - racks of clothes, tables of dishes, and all the bookshelves were full) - even the furniture area was jam packed.  Usually clothes are half off on Wednesday (and it is too crowded to shop) - today there was more stuff, less people (maybe I just timed it right - elementary schools were letting out so shoppers were picking up the kids after shopping?), and empty parking spaces.  I also got a turquoise "gym bag" that will zip into a smaller "purse size" to use as overnight luggage or to add to my usual luggage to bring home purchases on vacation (or hold laundry).....also 25% off of $1.99.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #436 on: February 13, 2013, 09:17:51 PM »
Just today, a beautiful high quality stainless paella pan.  It's a beaut and looks like it has been well cared for.  It's not like the one we had in the past, which would have fed 400 people and all their relatives, but is 9 or 10 inches across.  If we never use it, my son who is a wonderful cook, will. 
Also today we got about 7 CD's of music from the thirties through ww2.  We love that old music. 
Last week we got a pair of ankle weights for exercising.  They look fairly new and are very versatile in the weight levels you can use.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Jones

« Reply #437 on: March 15, 2013, 08:31:12 PM »
Today I purchased motivation for $25.

Let me explain. My sister is getting married in late-May. She told me I could wear "anything I want". I decided to see if my local thrift store had any skirt suits, something I can re-wear to work or church after the blessed event.

Said thrift store had two nice suits, one a burgundy color with both slacks and skirt ($15), the other a fetching grey-green that came with a white blouse ($10. Both suits are one dress size smaller than my current size. Voila, instant weight loss motivation: lose one dress size in two months and a couple days.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #438 on: March 15, 2013, 09:22:05 PM »
The city's charity "garage sale" of the year was this weekend. We went on Saturday and I bought nothing, but BF and my sister got some good, small things, spending $14 total for an art book, a statuette, some bowls and a case for an iTouch.

Then we went back today. For $3 and a fight with hordes of anxious shoppers, you got a huge cardboard box to fill with anything you wanted. We got two boxes, so for $6: 40 or so books (about 15 fiction, 15 beautiful art books, some with loads of full-color plates, and 10 ordinary nonfiction), plus 2 vintage scarves, a robe and a nice pillowcase.

Some of the used books go for $70+ in the shape we got them in, most for $30+, so I'd estimate the value of the stuff we got at $400+ at non-specialty store prices.
That wouldn't happen to have been the Settlement Home sale, would it?
I go every year on Sunday (half-price day) to stock up on linens.  I only did the box sale one time, though...too much shoving.

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #439 on: March 15, 2013, 09:34:20 PM »
$1 for a pink and brown seatbelt purse. This one. I've wanted one for forever.
Utah

Bethczar

« Reply #440 on: March 16, 2013, 12:01:52 AM »
$1 for a pink and brown seatbelt purse. This one. I've wanted one for forever.
I love those purses! You're so lucky  :)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #441 on: March 16, 2013, 01:15:37 AM »
I got a D&G pashmina scarf worth about $50 for about $9 at a consignment shop. :)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #442 on: March 16, 2013, 03:55:40 AM »

jmarvellous

« Reply #443 on: March 16, 2013, 09:59:33 AM »
The city's charity "garage sale" of the year was this weekend. We went on Saturday and I bought nothing, but BF and my sister got some good, small things, spending $14 total for an art book, a statuette, some bowls and a case for an iTouch.

Then we went back today. For $3 and a fight with hordes of anxious shoppers, you got a huge cardboard box to fill with anything you wanted. We got two boxes, so for $6: 40 or so books (about 15 fiction, 15 beautiful art books, some with loads of full-color plates, and 10 ordinary nonfiction), plus 2 vintage scarves, a robe and a nice pillowcase.

Some of the used books go for $70+ in the shape we got them in, most for $30+, so I'd estimate the value of the stuff we got at $400+ at non-specialty store prices.
That wouldn't happen to have been the Settlement Home sale, would it?
I go every year on Sunday (half-price day) to stock up on linens.  I only did the box sale one time, though...too much shoving.

Yes! This was my second near-riot box sale. Fun, with wondrous deals, unless you get hurt!

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #444 on: March 16, 2013, 05:49:30 PM »
My sibling found an old SLR camera at her thrift store earlier this week. :) It came with body and lense, we've already loaded fi;m and batteries, and it seems to be in good working shape.  We'll know when the film develops. :)

TheWeirdOne

« Reply #445 on: March 23, 2013, 12:08:22 AM »
Boyfriend I are attending themed fancy dress party soon. After a trip to the local op shops, $22 later we had all of my costume and a substantial part of his. As an added bonus, I've managed to convert him from 'why do you keep buying all this stuff?' to 'ooh, that's awesome, and only $5! Let's get it!' Finally, he has come over to the dark side  >:D

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #446 on: March 23, 2013, 06:19:51 AM »
Go WeirdOne!

I managed to convert Husband after pointing out that for Wolverine (baby incoming) we could either pay 50c-$2 a piece for singlets, onesies and teeny tiny clothes that will fit for ten minutes and have to *shock!* wash them before the baby wears them, or pay upwards of $5 a piece starting with socks and *still* have to wash them all because I hate wearing clothes without washing them first.

When he realised that Bonds baby socks sell new for $4.95/pair and that I could get them for 20c a pair at the op shops... he converted.

Then of course he found himself a few geeky shirts for $3.50 each and was entirely on board.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Cutenoob

« Reply #447 on: March 23, 2013, 05:30:05 PM »
Star: I got 80% of my baby's infant clothing from Craigslist. I'd go hunting online and find "box of 0-3 mo $20". And get a real good deal. Wash, wear, doesn't matter if they're already stained, shoot, my kid's going to do his own work!
One lady I bought from had top name gourmet children's clothing, unused. She said "I bought too much and he grew too fast". It was put to good use.

molly13

« Reply #448 on: March 23, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
Found a brand new pair of Sketchers at Value Village.  Still had the clearance price tag on them ($80) for $12.

reflection5

« Reply #449 on: March 23, 2013, 08:13:55 PM »
I have a beautiful 10" x 2" decorative box I got at a thrift store for $1.  It looks very expensive, and I frequently get compliments.  The price was written on the bottom in black crayon (which I rubbed off).  :)