Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 115779 times)

dawbs

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #465 on: April 07, 2013, 10:38:24 PM »
Saturday was the 'bag sale' part of a local church's rummage sale.

For $4 I got 2 bags of stuff (some of which ends up being crap because I didn't stop to try on clothes at $2 per bag  :P).
But in that haul, I got 2 complete sets of colorforms for the kiddo,  Ralph Lauren  Izod sweaters for me (both of which fit quite nicely) and a gently used, toddler sized REALLY nice outdoor winter/hiking coat--new it would retail for about $150. 

doodlemor

« Reply #466 on: April 07, 2013, 11:52:15 PM »
I bought a water color at an estate sale for $7.50, and it was in a lovely cherry wood frame.  It was appraised for over $1,000, but we will never sell it. 

rachellenore

« Reply #467 on: April 08, 2013, 03:49:41 PM »
Not a thrift score, but I work discount retail and got this Tommy Hilfiger purse for $4.32 today. MSRP is $60  :)

molly13

« Reply #468 on: April 08, 2013, 04:13:37 PM »
Just found a brand new pair of Sketchers at Value Village with the price tag still attached (Reg Price $109 marked 'down' to clearance price $80) for $12 and a brand new pair of Clark's Leather shoes sell in the $125 range also for $12.

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #469 on: April 08, 2013, 04:55:18 PM »
I went to a consignment shop in very trendy small town and found the perfect little black dress that fit me to a T.  The original sales tag said $150; I paid $35. 
I'll get there.  Eventually.

otterwoman

« Reply #470 on: April 17, 2013, 10:41:02 PM »
My music collection had grown beyond what my iPod mini could hold, so I had been looking at upgrading to a bigger iPod. However, my budget wasn't agreeing with that. However, today I found an iPod classic 60G at the thrift shop for $12! All of my music is now portable again, plus I have plenty of space for more.

Waterlight

« Reply #471 on: April 18, 2013, 04:57:47 AM »
I buy most of my clothes and accessories at thrift or consignment shops, or on eBay.

Most recently, I bought a blazer at Value Village for $10.  The chair of the board of the nonprofit I work for complimented me on it and was surprised to hear I'd bought it at a thrift shop!

I've paid anywhere between $10 and $40 for cashmere sweaters... never any more than that.

I scored a Michael Kors handbag in an eBay auction for $50 last December--and gave it to my mom, who'd been wanting one, for Christmas.

I've bought a couple of Coach bags--one for $10, one for $13.50.  One was at a yard sale, the other was at a thrift shop (marked down from $27).

I found a silk Miss Dior vintage scarf from the 1970's at Value Village for $3.

My all-time best score, though, was a Roberto Cavalli evening dress for $125 (50% off the price on the tag).  The consignment-shop owner told me to add a zero to the end of the sale price if I wanted to know how much it would have cost brand-new  :o
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #472 on: April 18, 2013, 04:46:50 PM »
So I have a Revereware 12 inch copper bottom skillet and wanted another.  The ones on eBay all have no lids, so I figured I'd see if they had any at the thrift store before I bid on one.

$9 later... and now I need two lids.   ;D

nayberry

« Reply #473 on: April 19, 2013, 10:05:50 AM »
woot!  5 balls of blue and 4 of cream 4mm wool, all unused 50p per ball :)

now to learn to crochet....

gingerzing

« Reply #474 on: April 19, 2013, 03:08:15 PM »
Just had a great weekend of finds.  DH likes church sales and we hit one of the best ones at just the right time. Within minutes of getting there, they announced that they were going to start their bag sale.  A 13-gal bag (like for a kitchen garbage can) for $5.  I got a Coldwater Creek blazer, two long sleeve shirts from CC, a sweater dress from Lane Bryant, 5 t-shirts (including a Disney one and a dry weave Under Armor), and two brand new baseball caps.
At a different church sale, I got a $1 dress.  The last church sale we got two men's sweaters and a Liz Claiborne women's golf polo. 

I don't normal buy name brands, but when I find them at garage sales I am always excited.

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #475 on: April 20, 2013, 12:50:50 AM »
Snared a Pierre Cardin black handbag with hot pink lining for $4 and a rather remarkable lightweight grey ankle length, faintly military style handmade coat for $5. I noticed it had no lining so I looked harder at it and realized that some very talented seamstress had made it by hand. I have another coat they same style and size with great lining but the outside is too badly damaged to be salvageable so this was a great coat for me.  It also means I can tweak the fitting without having to go through lining, score! I hate having to take the lining off coats and jackets for tweaking.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #476 on: April 20, 2013, 02:39:32 AM »
Not a thrift score, but I've been attempting to locate a monograph that provides a big part of the fundamentals of my research. I found it on Amazon for $50, but noticed the original publisher was a university. I tracked my way through the university's website and found where I could buy it for $6. Now I have money for more reference books, woohoo!

JaWoof

« Reply #477 on: April 20, 2013, 08:35:28 PM »
DH and I are music fiends and have been dying to upgrade our speakers for our turntable/stereo setup.  We had been looking at some vintage ones online, but even beat up they were selling for over $500/pair.

This past week we were at our local Savers and he caught sight of a pair of 70s-era, wooden vintage floor speakers in really good condition...for $10.00!  We figured it was worth a chance.

Took them home and rigged them up, the MOST AMAZING sound.  We found out that this same pair is selling online in poor condition for over $300, and new speakers of comparable quality and size would cost somewhere around $1200-$1500!  Our vinyl has never sounded so good!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #478 on: April 20, 2013, 08:40:30 PM »
I've been away from doing bead work and wire work for some time but lately I've been starting up again with wire.  I've been looking at the old jewelry in the thrift stores with a new eye, and today I found a lone earring that had a lovely little metal filigree heart dangling from it.  I bought it, took it off of the earring part and now I have a neat little charm to add to something, for $2.50.  If I ordered one I'd pay more plus shipping and it wouldn't have near the character of this little beauty.  It's only about 1/2 inch, if that, and is hollow inside.  I love it! 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #479 on: April 20, 2013, 08:43:14 PM »
There was a garage sale at the mosque in our neighborhood today.  I totally cleaned up on gorgeous, huge scarves for $1 each.