Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 115432 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #480 on: April 22, 2013, 07:49:06 PM »
This past week we were at our local Savers and he caught sight of a pair of 70s-era, wooden vintage floor speakers in really good condition...for $10.00!  We figured it was worth a chance.
Another Savers shopper! Yeah!

DH is a music fiend, too.  He acquires at least one new CD each day.  Some are sent to him by promoters &/or musicians and some he buys.

Are you in Hawaii, too?  I don't know if Savers has stores in other states.  If you are in Honolulu, Hawaii Public Radio has an annual music sale where they sell CDs, vinyl albums, and equipment such as speakers and turntables at reasonable prices.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

jmarvellous

« Reply #481 on: April 22, 2013, 11:39:56 PM »
This past week we were at our local Savers and he caught sight of a pair of 70s-era, wooden vintage floor speakers in really good condition...for $10.00!  We figured it was worth a chance.

DH is a music fiend, too.  He acquires at least one new CD each day.  Some are sent to him by promoters &/or musicians and some he buys.

Are you in Hawaii, too?  I don't know if Savers has stores in other states.  If you are in Honolulu, Hawaii Public Radio has an annual music sale where they sell CDs, vinyl albums, and equipment such as speakers and turntables at reasonable prices.

I think Savers is all over the country. Not necessarily in all big cities or even states, but all around.

norrina

« Reply #482 on: April 23, 2013, 10:26:35 AM »

I think Savers is all over the country. Not necessarily in all big cities or even states, but all around.

They are, except for this apparent Savers wasteland in NC/SC/GA/FL/AL/MI. I lived in NC from 2001-2009, so wasn't introduced to Savers until I moved to Northern Virginia. After two years there, now I'm in South Carolina, and I want a Savers here! (Or at least closer than a full day's drive away.)

CakeBeret

« Reply #483 on: April 23, 2013, 11:21:13 AM »
My DH has finally been bitten by the thrift store bug! ;) It started with him losing weight and needing new clothes. I got him a pair of Abercrombie jeans for $6 and he says they're one of the most comfortable pairs he's ever worn. He's been more into dressing nicely since he's lost the weight, so Sunday he went out and found a nice pair of black slacks and a gray pullover sweater by DKNY for a grand total of $4. He looked pretty sharp too.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #484 on: April 23, 2013, 05:17:18 PM »
I love my "ladies' briefcase" that could double as a laptop case if I just had a padded sleeve for the laptop (I've seen them NEW ranging from $20 at Wal*Mart to $40 or $50 discounted at Ross Dress For Less - original price supposed to be about $80 to $100).

It holds my wallet, checkbook, tablet/ereader, cell phone, papers without folding them into quarters, and the like quite handily.  The $7 one came with a matching wallet (that I donated to a fund raiser) because it just didn't have enough card slots or a checkbook holder.....

I like it so much that I am looking for another one in something other than BLACK to use this summer.

I found a black one this morning at the same Goodwill where I found the first one, but it reeks of cigarette smoke to the point that I was smelling it three feet away before I picked it up to look at it......too bad, I liked the way that it was organized even better.....

But once I opened it up to look at it (outer compartment, three full sized inner compartments, cell phone pocket + two larger ones in the next compartment, and credit card & ID slots), I realized that the thing reeked inside and was the source of the odor.....and I don't smoke.  The smell would have made it unusable in short order......  But it was so "perfectly" organized, that I just couldn't take the brown leather one next to it instead......

If it can't be washed - the odor of cigarette smoke can't easily be removed.....and this felt like real leather.....

I plan to go back next week, I'm looking for some odds & ends to finish putting together a Renn Faire outfit......
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #485 on: April 23, 2013, 05:18:52 PM »
I love my "ladies' briefcase" that could double as a laptop case if I just had a padded sleeve for the laptop (I've seen them NEW ranging from $20 at Wal*Mart to $40 or $50 discounted at Ross Dress For Less - original price supposed to be about $80 to $100).

It holds my wallet, checkbook, tablet/ereader, cell phone, papers without folding them into quarters, and the like quite handily.  The $7 one came with a matching wallet (that I donated to a fund raiser) because it just didn't have enough card slots or a checkbook holder.....

I like it so much that I am looking for another one in something other than BLACK to use this summer.

I found a black one this morning at the same Goodwill where I found the first one, but it reeks of cigarette smoke to the point that I was smelling it three feet away before I picked it up to look at it......too bad, I liked the way that it was organized even better.....

But once I opened it up to look at it (outer compartment, three full sized inner compartments, cell phone pocket + two larger ones in the next compartment, and credit card & ID slots), I realized that the thing reeked inside and was the source of the odor.....and I don't smoke.  The smell would have made it unusable in short order......  But it was so "perfectly" organized, that I just couldn't take the brown leather one next to it instead......

If it can't be washed - the odor of cigarette smoke can't easily be removed.....and this felt like real leather.....

I plan to go back next week, I'm looking for some odds & ends to finish putting together a Renn Faire outfit......
http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-cigarette-smell-from-leather/
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #486 on: April 23, 2013, 07:11:13 PM »

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-cigarette-smell-from-leather/

Cool - if I didn't already have TWO black "purses" similar to the one I saw today, I'd go back & get it.

But it would be #3 black feminine briefcase - I'm looking for something NOT black as #3. 

Or something to use at Renn Faire as a leather bag or a chatelaine (may have to figure out hidden pockets and open seams to get to them - which might have some basis in period or it might be something that an author set up in a time travel story, I don't know).  I do know that the raised waist overdress is not going to look right belted at the waist so that I can carry things, with an anachronistic modern purse, nor do I want to hang myself about with shoulder straps.......still thinking about what to do with the 90" (a little over 2 meters) of silver-toned chain that I got today at Wal*Mart.  It might become a chatelaine chain with my cell phone in a little decorative tapestry purse.....and a couple of sewing items on it to make it pass for a more period correct chatelaine.......

But I'm not going to take my embroidery with me when a 2 1/2 year old is going to be in the group.....needles, scissors, and embroidery floss do not mix well with toddlers.......been there, done that, niece chopped MIL's ribbon/strap to tiny pieces to see if the stork scissors were sharp......the pocket and scissors were fine - the ribbon that kept them together was in about forty very small pieces.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

norrina

« Reply #487 on: April 27, 2013, 12:56:49 PM »
My brother, SIL, and 4 1/2 y.o. and (going to be) 7 month old nieces are coming for a week later this summer, and I wanted to have some provisions so that they wouldn't have to haul ALL of the preschooler and baby paraphernalia over 1000 miles. After checking that my SIL would be okay with used equipment, my girlfriend and I today scored from the yard sales and thrift stores:
(1) Chicco Prolly high chair for $25 ($150 new)
(2) Kolcraft Travelin' Tot 3-in-1 play yard for $10 (this I need to look at the model number and see if it's part of the recall; but if it is it's supposed to be fine after they send you the repair kit)
(3) BabySmart Cooshee booster seat for $4 (it's a hard foam booster, so more comfortable than the plastic seats)
(4) Discovery Toys Playful Patterns activity for $1 (my brothers had this, it's fun and educational, retails $30 new, and is in like-new condition)

I think my girlfriend might actually keep the pack-n-play and high chair herself and give me hers, because she says these are nicer. And I don't care, since I only needed them for a week.

MissRose

« Reply #488 on: April 27, 2013, 01:43:16 PM »
I went to some community wide yard sales yesterday, and did very well, among my finds:

Coach wallet $1
6 Dvds: total of $10 paid
4 cd: total of $10 paid
12 books - various types/topics both hard and soft cover: $10
Several mall brand type hoodies for my 11 yr niece (1 by BCBG and 1 by Aeropostale) - total paid for both - $6

snowfire

« Reply #489 on: April 27, 2013, 02:06:32 PM »
Not huge, but a Lenox china bowl about 7" across with a gold rim and a raised rose pattern. Retail for ~50.00 or so.  I found it in a Goodwill for 79 cents!

Amara

« Reply #490 on: April 28, 2013, 03:57:26 PM »
CraigsList score!

Late last night I was on the computer so I cruised CL one last time. In the Furniture-by-Owner section, I saw a pair of gorgeous table lamps, slender candlesticks made of lovely glass and unique shades. I looked down to the description and saw that the owner wanted only $50 for both. I sent that email off to her immediately, and a little while ago I went to see them.

They were beautiful! They had been her grandmother's purchased from a very high end furniture store here, and while she loved them she already had enough lamps. Of course I bought them, then she mentioned she had another lamp she hadn's yet put up on CL. It is different but equally fantastic. The shade on this one is extremely unusual. I didn't know where I would put it so I hesitated but decided I would find a place anyway as she was asking only $25 for it.

And I did. It is in a perfect place where I hadn't realized a lamp would be good. They all look spectacular, and I am happy, happy, happy!

KimberlyM

« Reply #491 on: April 29, 2013, 05:20:18 PM »
I got 2 pairs of Levis at goodwill yesterday for $5!

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #492 on: April 29, 2013, 09:11:49 PM »
I found a very cute iron plant stand on the curb this morning!

otterwoman

« Reply #493 on: May 09, 2013, 11:11:15 AM »
Woot! I picked up a 1952 Singer 201-2 sewing machine, in a cabinet with the storage bench for $25! In the storage bench was the original box of attachments, plus the original owners manual. The machine needs some wiring replaced, I'm surprised I didn't get shocked when I tested it at the sellers house, but it works. It does need a thorough cleaning; years of bleech are on it. But, it will run forever!

I also found a set of military stripes in the bench. I emailed the seller to ask if she wanted those back; yes. So, I mailed them back to her.

Redwing

« Reply #494 on: May 09, 2013, 11:29:59 AM »
On Saturday, my husband and I went to rummage sale for a local university.  They were doing $3 a bag and we got four planters, two lovely blue glass candlesticks, three movies for the granddaughter, a lovely throw pillow with a handstitched slip, and a charming little bowl marked Claire Ware.  Very happy about that!