Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 108386 times)

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #495 on: May 09, 2013, 01:52:34 PM »
Woot! I picked up a 1952 Singer 201-2 sewing machine, in a cabinet with the storage bench for $25! In the storage bench was the original box of attachments, plus the original owners manual. The machine needs some wiring replaced, I'm surprised I didn't get shocked when I tested it at the sellers house, but it works. It does need a thorough cleaning; years of bleech are on it. But, it will run forever!

I also found a set of military stripes in the bench. I emailed the seller to ask if she wanted those back; yes. So, I mailed them back to her.

Nice!  I've wanted a bench to go with my old Singer cabinets but never seem to find one. Bonus on the attachments!

MissRose

« Reply #496 on: May 18, 2013, 02:47:41 PM »
On Thursday, me and my sister went to the Salvation Army store in a nearby town that has many well to do residents while waiting for her car to be fixed.  Many of the items tend to be higher quality and often good brand names.

Between the 2 of us, we spent $100 and managed to find some nice stuff.  She got some brand name clothes for herself, myself, her boyfriend, and her 11 year old daughter & 13 year old son plus a pair of shoes for her son who wears a size 13/14 men's size.   I also got some clothes, a few books and miscellaneous items

Bethczar

« Reply #497 on: May 19, 2013, 08:22:49 PM »
I was so frustrated last week because I needed new jeans & couldn't find any talls at the mall. (I used to get them at Pennies, but they don't carry them anymore, I guess.) I found 2 pairs of brand new jeans in my size in TALLS at Savers. I also found a couple pairs of pretty capris I can wear for work at Goodwill.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #498 on: May 22, 2013, 08:09:56 PM »
My husband has long legs.  He prefers Levi jeans and wears 32/34 (32 inch waist, 34 inch length).  It's hard to find his size.  32 inch length & 34 inch waist are more common.  The Sears store near us is closing.  He checked to see if they had any Levis on clearance in his size.  He didn't have much hope because they almost never have his length and he ends up getting 32/32s and showing off his ankles.

He found 3 pairs of Levis in his size! On clearance sale (40% off)!!  I told him they probably have been hiding the long jeans in their secret storage room all along and now that they are closing, the staff put them out.  I was being sarcastic, of course, because when we used to ask the store staff to check "in the back," we would hear, "What do you think we do? Hide stuff in a secret storage room?"
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #499 on: May 24, 2013, 02:01:54 AM »
Last month I was looking to buy a new sewing machine. I was all set to spend about $550, and since that is not an unsubstantial sum for me, I wanted to be sure that it wasn't just the sales lady telling me I was getting a good deal on a good machine. I called MIL, who said go for it, and my mom who said that sounds about right, but check with Auntie. Auntie said "hmm, that sounds like a lot, but I think I saw a machine at local Goodwill the other day. Wanna go check it out?" We did, and I got an older, 60's ish Singer for $15 (it was half off day). It has a cabinet as well that has a place to put the foot so that I can lean my knee into it as opposed to having it on the ground. It's a HUGE plus for me what with the kiddos constantly underfoot, and Baby still crawling.

Auntie also taught me how to fabric shop in Goodwill. They sell fabric, and you can apparently make lots of stuff out of sheets and cute little pillowcase nightgowns for DD. We got an adorable window valence for $0.75 that will make 3-4 little girl skirts and already has a "casing" (where curtain rod goes) just add elastic! My fabric stash grew three sized that day. Also, one of the 5 stores we hit that day was closing for renovation and had things 75% off instead of 50%, so I got brand new patterns for $.15 each.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #500 on: May 24, 2013, 12:20:25 PM »
I plan to make a baby quilt out of linen for my niece who's pregnant. I've been getting lots of bright-colored linen shirts for $1-3, plus neutral linen pants for about $4. Pre-shrunk and colors won't run!
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

DistantStar

« Reply #501 on: May 24, 2013, 01:32:17 PM »
I just got a really nice old full-size iron bed frame for $50.  Needs a little work on a few rust spots and I need to measure it and buy slats for it, but it's awesome!

otterwoman

« Reply #502 on: May 24, 2013, 10:09:27 PM »
I spent the morning hitting yard sales, and I drove by a thrift store I'd never noticed before. Of course I stopped. As I was heading in, the employee hung a "$5 bag sale" sign up. I got over $35 in thrift store priced children's clothes for $5!!! Really nice items. I'm going to have to go there again.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #503 on: May 26, 2013, 02:13:42 AM »
I took Babybartfast to a thrift store earlier this week to get some cheap vases (teacher gifts - cut flowers from our backyard and put them in nice-but-came-from-thrift-stores vases for the end-of-the-year present) and came across three 25 lb boxes of Crayola modeling clay for $8 each.  I, personally, have no use for seventy-five pounds of modeling clay, but I have a friend who might  :P  I sent her an email and she was overjoyed to come in the next day and buy the two boxes which were left!  She does a lot of semi-pro costuming and artsy stuff, so I suspect all that clay will end up being a life-sized weeping angel sculpture or something . . .

Cutenoob

« Reply #504 on: May 26, 2013, 05:06:31 AM »
I got a big container, the one you slide under your bed for extra storage. Lid and all, for $3.99. Brand new they are around $10+. I also got a new pair of jeans for me, a whole size DOWN and for $2.
Go me!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #505 on: May 26, 2013, 08:11:33 AM »
(teacher gifts - cut flowers from our backyard and put them in nice-but-came-from-thrift-stores vases for the end-of-the-year present)

I think this is a great idea!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Amara

« Reply #506 on: May 26, 2013, 11:44:50 AM »
The first thrift store I went to yesterday yielded up two gorgeous pillows with those French reproductions on the front of flowers and stamps and writing and addresses. They weren't donated, but apparently purchased from a shop in Tennessee that makes them. I have seen and loved them elsewhere but the cost has been more than I have been willing to pay. Here they were asking $35 but I found that still too high. I asked and got them for $21 each! Two are now on my sofa, and I love them.

I also found at that store a small tin tub made of green and gold. The inside is a dark forest green; the outside is more of a darkish emerald colored decorated with gold. I am trying to make my bedroom and bathroom green, specifically emerald and mint green, and I needed a trash can for the bathroom so this was perfect! A score at $10.

The second store I hit I found lovely wine glasses and glass coffee mugs plus a pretty vase but I ended up putting it all back. If I have to ask myself repeatedly if I love it I don't so I won't buy it. And that decision is invariably right.

I then hit the third thrift store where I found a waterless cooking skillet (8") that is solid, heavy and has a tight-fitting lid. While I won't use it as intended in all likelihood it will make a lovely addition to my pot-and-pan collection.  It cost more than I prefer--$25--but I think it will more than pay for itself.

I also found three inexpensive pictures in frames of three branches of different ferns. It is all done in creams and several shades of green in painted mint green wood frames. They are perhaps 8"x8"; last night I hung them in the bathroom where they look pretty and I won't worry about the moisture getting to them. Cost: $10.

Finally, I stopped at an antique store not far from home that I had passed numerous times without going in. It's a typical antique store with tiny clutter everywhere it is possible to have something. Since I despise clutter this exhausts me so I moved around the store quickly. One thing did catch my eye, however: two beautifully framed images of fruits. The images appear to be from a book printed in the nineteenth century, and the frames are an antique gold and may well be antiques themselves. Price: $185 but he was offering 20 percent off. Still, that's a breathtaking $150 plus tax. I told him I would think about it. I would love them, and I think they are worth it given the cost of custom framing these days. But not yesterday . . .

I am very happy with my thrift store purchases.

MummySweet

« Reply #507 on: May 26, 2013, 12:47:08 PM »
My kids finished the school year with a half day this past Thursday.   I hadn't finished all my errands and ended up taking my two youngest to the thrift store to look for some books for their older brother.  (He has several long camping trips and other travel this summer and I am unwilling to let him take library books along.) 

A good rule of thumb:  Don't take young kids to the thrift store when you are tired and don't have the energy to even utter the word, "No."     By the time we reached checkout I had a FULL basket... books, games, craft sets, a jewelry box, some t-shirts, etc.   I started to pull stuff out for the cashier to ring up  but she stopped me.  She came out looked at the basket and said.  "$20 for the lot."   

When I got home I added up the prices and found that I had more than $75 in thrift store ticketed prices. 

Maxiestar

« Reply #508 on: May 26, 2013, 08:27:01 PM »
I found a really cute button down blouse for a fraction of it's original price at Gap today! The original price was about $55 bucks, on clearance with additional 30% off sale, I walked away with it for $23 bucks! I'm happy! :)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #509 on: May 27, 2013, 01:51:48 PM »
I have been working on weight loss (walking with a friend 3x/week and boot camp 3x/week) so have been ...shifting in size.  Weight about the same, but size is down!  So "new" clothes via 2nd hand.

a parent (at school) has noticed the change and complimented that my clothes always looked nice, how often was a shopping/how much money spent? 

when I told her it was almost exclusively 2ndhand, she responded that she thought that was all rubbish items, used.  I explained that many times I have found brand new still with tags items.  She said she might have to try it for herself and see!

a few years ago, an acquaintance asked me how I managed to get into Goodwill, since she knew my husband had a good job.  "Don't you have to show need/low income to shop there?"

so, I was wondering, have the rest of you had such encounters yourself? 
I just rather shrug them off, and I know I am not "stealing" from the poor by shopping at these stores, but the perception seems to be out there.

so, am I alone?

(btw-I attended a master's degree graduation party this weekend and received several compliments on my outfit, and upon personal inventory, realized that only one item was full price retail.  :)  )
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.