Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 95180 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #510 on: May 27, 2013, 04:27:40 PM »
I have been working on weight loss (walking with a friend 3x/week and boot camp 3x/week) so have been ...shifting in size.  Weight about the same, but size is down!  So "new" clothes via 2nd hand.

a parent (at school) has noticed the change and complimented that my clothes always looked nice, how often was a shopping/how much money spent? 

when I told her it was almost exclusively 2ndhand, she responded that she thought that was all rubbish items, used.  I explained that many times I have found brand new still with tags items.  She said she might have to try it for herself and see!

a few years ago, an acquaintance asked me how I managed to get into Goodwill, since she knew my husband had a good job.  "Don't you have to show need/low income to shop there?"

so, I was wondering, have the rest of you had such encounters yourself? 
I just rather shrug them off, and I know I am not "stealing" from the poor by shopping at these stores, but the perception seems to be out there.

so, am I alone?

(btw-I attended a master's degree graduation party this weekend and received several compliments on my outfit, and upon personal inventory, realized that only one item was full price retail.  :)  )

I look at it like recycling.  If there's perfectly good clothes out there, why buy new?  And beyond that, what if you're into vintage?

cattlekid

« Reply #511 on: May 27, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
That's not an attitude that I get a lot, and I do a lot of Goodwill shopping.  I am with you, I am actively trying to lose weight and I don't really want to spend a lot of cash on "transition" clothes.  Send the individual who mentioned this to amazinggoodwill.com and you can see the interesting outfits that people have put together with Goodwill finds....it's more like a treasure hunt than anything else IMHO.

I have been working on weight loss (walking with a friend 3x/week and boot camp 3x/week) so have been ...shifting in size.  Weight about the same, but size is down!  So "new" clothes via 2nd hand.

a parent (at school) has noticed the change and complimented that my clothes always looked nice, how often was a shopping/how much money spent? 

when I told her it was almost exclusively 2ndhand, she responded that she thought that was all rubbish items, used.  I explained that many times I have found brand new still with tags items.  She said she might have to try it for herself and see!

a few years ago, an acquaintance asked me how I managed to get into Goodwill, since she knew my husband had a good job.  "Don't you have to show need/low income to shop there?"

so, I was wondering, have the rest of you had such encounters yourself? 
I just rather shrug them off, and I know I am not "stealing" from the poor by shopping at these stores, but the perception seems to be out there.

so, am I alone?

(btw-I attended a master's degree graduation party this weekend and received several compliments on my outfit, and upon personal inventory, realized that only one item was full price retail.  :)  )

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #512 on: May 27, 2013, 06:56:45 PM »
That's not an attitude that I get a lot, and I do a lot of Goodwill shopping.  I am with you, I am actively trying to lose weight and I don't really want to spend a lot of cash on "transition" clothes.  Send the individual who mentioned this to amazinggoodwill.com and you can see the interesting outfits that people have put together with Goodwill finds....it's more like a treasure hunt than anything else IMHO.

DS and I call Goodwill the "treasure hunt store" :)
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #513 on: May 27, 2013, 09:41:49 PM »
Just back from the Atlanta Renn Faire - two skirts (one was "petticoat" for the other) from Goodwill and a blouse off the clearance rack at Wal*Mart one day, with a purse & "silver" chalice (plastic) also from the Goodwill hanging from a "chain" around my waist from Wal*Mart on one day......and an eBay purchase the other day.  Shoes & wallet inside the purse from Ross Dress For Less (less than half price off the "comparable retail price", supposedly).  And jewelry from eBay and other assorted sources.....

The scores aren't just for everyday clothes!  Peasant style blouses are back in style, at least for summer!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #514 on: May 28, 2013, 09:56:33 AM »
At a stoop sale yesterday I picked up a neat box for 2USD.

It's clear plastic with large, applied roses and leaves.  The roses look to be individually formed. 

I'm pretty sure it's British or American from the late 1940s so it could be worth a bit more than $2. It doesn't really matter because I just like the thing for what it is. 

Does anyone know a good site to research mid-century plastics? 

kymom3

« Reply #515 on: May 28, 2013, 11:01:30 AM »
I decided I wanted a chandelier for my dining room.  I can't afford to pay several hundred dollars or more, so I've been checking thrift stores, yard sales, wherever.

This past weekend in the county next to where I live, was a huge estate auction.  I scored a brand new, still in the box, original price tag of $232, for $15!!  Woohoo!  I'm so excited.   ;D

Waterlight

« Reply #516 on: May 28, 2013, 08:01:40 PM »
I just scored an authentic Michael Kors handbag (about $300 brand new, so NO WAY would I have been able to afford it new) on eBay for $62 about a week ago...  8)
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #517 on: May 28, 2013, 10:58:21 PM »
I found a cute pair of like-new herringbone flats at a consignment shop this weekend for $8, but they were half off so I got them for $4.

daen

« Reply #518 on: June 04, 2013, 08:43:01 PM »
On the "vintage" rack at my local Goodwill: a kurta (tunic) and shawl in green and gold from India. Definitely not some factory knockoff, and it fits me nicely. $8. How an Indian outfit ended up in Amish country, I've no idea.

(Before I realized that the shawl was a shawl, I used it as a sarong-style skirt under the kurta. Now that I know better, I'm going to continue doing that.  ;D)

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #519 on: June 04, 2013, 09:20:27 PM »
On the "vintage" rack at my local Goodwill: a kurta (tunic) and shawl in green and gold from India. Definitely not some factory knockoff, and it fits me nicely. $8. How an Indian outfit ended up in Amish country, I've no idea.

(Before I realized that the shawl was a shawl, I used it as a sarong-style skirt under the kurta. Now that I know better, I'm going to continue doing that.  ;D)
Goodwills shuffle stuff around.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #520 on: June 05, 2013, 07:15:12 PM »
I rarely find anything remotely close to my size at thrift stores, but have scored an awful lot of cute purses - someone keeps donating these relatively expensive purses that are clearly used but still in quite good condition to my neighborhood Goodwill, and I keep buying them. If I ever find out who they are, I am sending them a thank-you card.

BTW, Saturday is 50% off day at Goodwill - I may have to go purse shopping. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #521 on: June 07, 2013, 07:57:42 PM »
Today, we needed to get DS some things for camp and a few things for me. We went to a Ross store.

Twin sheet set - $9
Two towels - $6 each
Two washcloths - $2 each
Dress - $10
Cardigan - $12

We did really well!

cattlekid

« Reply #522 on: June 07, 2013, 09:21:15 PM »
Today was the first time I had a real score at a Goodwill.  I got a like-new Franco Sarto purse, retails for about $110 for $10.  It still had the DSW price tag, plus the silica gel packet in the pocket.  The only reason that I say it was like-new was the small stack of business cards from a female attorney in the area that was in one of the pockets.   :D

I also got a pair of Coldwater Creek dress pants for $3.20. 

The bummer?  I found a pair of lined wool Pendleton dress pants for $5.00.  They were marked with my size, but the inseam was the longest I ever saw on a pair of women's pants.  Literally, to get the crotch in the right area, I had to pull them up to the middle of my rib cage.  *sob*

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #523 on: June 08, 2013, 04:41:03 PM »
Went to my first rummage sale in a long time, today, and am I glad I did. 
I got a sterling silver ornate Maltese cross pendant, a beautiful, perfect condition wooden jewelry box.  This is made from two kinds of wood and is put together with little dowels and, I imagine, glue.  It is gorgeous.  There is a fine wood working program in the area and this is the kind of thing you see at their shows.  I suspect this is one of the items made there.  I also got a copy of my favorite magazine, Cloth paper Scissors, a pair of earrings which I will dismantle for the beauiful metal focal beads and some wooden beads for some project or other.
If I told how much I paid for them would it be rude?  if not, I can go back and add it.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Amara

« Reply #524 on: June 08, 2013, 07:13:49 PM »
We'll rejoice with you, Bijou. Go ahead and post it.

I tried out a thrift store today that apparently is an open secret. It's not as well known as others but it's quality is higher and its prices are lower. It probably helps that they pay no rent and it's all volunteer run so it has no costs. The hours are very limited: Wednesday and Saturday mornings for three hours each. All its proceeds go to the charities it supports (good ones too).

So ... I had a good day. I got a pretty fashionable straw purple hat with flowers for $5! I also found a lovely, unusual and beautifully framed picture for $20, and three nineteenth-century fruit/flower illustrations for the astonishing price of $1. The latter were rolled up and way down at the bottom of the large framed pictures bin where no one else had seen them for who knows how long. The shop had for today priced all their decorative pillows for $1 so I grabbed one to use its stuffing for a gorgeous emerald green hand-blocked pillow cover from India I had recently purchased. It worked perfectly. In addition, I found a nonstick small rectangular thing I can use as a cooling place for breads and rolls and a bath rug in the seafoam blue color that is going to be in my guest room. I am definitely going back there again.

I then drove out to one of our better known stores that has, unfortunately, has nearly priced itself out of the thrift store range but I like to look there on occasion. I found two more rolling pins: a marble one and a handle-less one that is shorter and heavier than my normal one. I also got a flour sifter and a small pretty boudoir pillow that is perfect for the guest room.