Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 94036 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #525 on: June 08, 2013, 10:01:37 PM »
Goodwill here was doing a 50% nearly everything sale today, so I had to check out the purse rack.

Score! I got 2 bags - one is a purse by Relic, which I've never heard of, but someone really likes their stuff as this is at least the 3rd like it I have seen there. The other is a purse/totebag from Beijo. With the half off sale and me having a $5 gift card left over from my birthday, I got both for just under $10.

I never have mastered the art of pic posting, but here are pic links, if you want to see them.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10101554009195013&l=3857bec1bb
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10101554009329743&l=0e4259aff7
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Amara

« Reply #526 on: June 08, 2013, 10:35:51 PM »
I'm not a purse fan but those are nice! Really nice.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
« Reply #527 on: June 08, 2013, 10:49:22 PM »
I am a huuuuuge purse fan... as in when DH & I finally buy a home I've told him I want something like a china cabinet to store & display my purses. I think I have around 50 now.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #528 on: June 08, 2013, 11:01:21 PM »
We'll rejoice with you, Bijou. Go ahead and post it.

I tried out a thrift store today that apparently is an open secret. It's not as well known as others but it's quality is higher and its prices are lower. It probably helps that they pay no rent and it's all volunteer run so it has no costs. The hours are very limited: Wednesday and Saturday mornings for three hours each. All its proceeds go to the charities it supports (good ones too).

So ... I had a good day. I got a pretty fashionable straw purple hat with flowers for $5! I also found a lovely, unusual and beautifully framed picture for $20, and three nineteenth-century fruit/flower illustrations for the astonishing price of $1. The latter were rolled up and way down at the bottom of the large framed pictures bin where no one else had seen them for who knows how long. The shop had for today priced all their decorative pillows for $1 so I grabbed one to use its stuffing for a gorgeous emerald green hand-blocked pillow cover from India I had recently purchased. It worked perfectly. In addition, I found a nonstick small rectangular thing I can use as a cooling place for breads and rolls and a bath rug in the seafoam blue color that is going to be in my guest room. I am definitely going back there again.

I then drove out to one of our better known stores that has, unfortunately, has nearly priced itself out of the thrift store range but I like to look there on occasion. I found two more rolling pins: a marble one and a handle-less one that is shorter and heavier than my normal one. I also got a flour sifter and a small pretty boudoir pillow that is perfect for the guest room.
OK, the box was just $10, and I still cannot believe it.  It would make a wonderful birthday gift for one of my son's, but I think my husband has laid a claim to it as soon as he saw it.   
The sterling pendant was $2.00.  I found out it is a Maltese cross.
I think I paid 50 cents for the magazine.  I wold have paid more because I collect those.  I love Cloth, Paper, Scissors.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Amara

« Reply #529 on: June 08, 2013, 11:37:21 PM »
The box and cross sound wonderful! And the price ...

Congratulations on your score!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #530 on: June 09, 2013, 05:30:50 AM »
The box and cross sound wonderful! And the price ...

Congratulations on your score!
Thanks.  It's not often I happen upon things like that.  Two of my sons love old stuff and seem to attract good deals.  When they go to a yard or rummage sale, coming up with things I would have just looked right through.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Moonie

« Reply #531 on: June 10, 2013, 10:41:35 AM »
Went to a garage sale this weekend and scored a 4 burner propane gas grill in fabulous shape for only $30!!! They threw in a nearly empty propane tank, so all I have to do is refill it rather than spending $50 or more for a new one!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #532 on: June 10, 2013, 08:01:40 PM »
DH bought a Kitchenaid stand mixer! It is regularly $333, on sale for $250, then an extra percentage off for using the store debit card, so $227 total! I found one on craigslist that was $275, so we did better than that even!

norrina

« Reply #533 on: June 10, 2013, 10:05:04 PM »
DH bought a Kitchenaid stand mixer! It is regularly $333, on sale for $250, then an extra percentage off for using the store debit card, so $227 total! I found one on craigslist that was $275, so we did better than that even!

I love my Kitchenaid. I had been begging DF to let me buy one for a while, but he was reluctant because they're expensive and our old Sunbeam got the job done. During the Black Friday sales at our outlet stores a couple years ago though there was a single Professional 600 left for $200 (they're retailing $450 right now), and he agreed that that was too good a deal to pass up. He even decided to grab the Artisan Series 5-quart for his mom, $150 down from $350. She's been posting Facebook comments about the great bread she makes ever since.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #534 on: June 11, 2013, 04:11:26 AM »
BF went to a yard sale being held by a nice, older lady, who he helps often.  He came back with a bunch of Star Wars and Dragonlance books.

The latter, all 9 of them, are first edition of the original three series, with the original TSR mark.  Of course, they're still being read... :P

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #535 on: June 14, 2013, 05:06:06 AM »
The opp shop closest to my house is part of the local Uniting Church and entirely volunteer-run; the ladies who work there all love it and get to know everyone who comes by. It's a small shop but brilliantly managed.
So! I had BabyDrifter just on 8 weeks ago and until today I hadn't had a chance to go back to the shop, and when I came in with her in the BabyBjorn (asleep) the ladies all cooed over her and asked how we were going, then one of them came with me to help me go through the 20c table to find things that would fit her (with her in the carrier I couldn't see half the table without twisting awkwardly.

I got 3 Bonds Wondersuits, two pairs of leggings, three little cotton knit dresses and five pairs of socks from the 20c table, and when I went inside to the baby section I found a little grey hand-knitted jacket with black buttons about the size of US quarters.

$2.50, the lot. I handed them a $5 note and insisted that they keep the change - the Wondersuits are like new and cost around $15-$20 each, new.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #536 on: June 14, 2013, 03:35:32 PM »
Yesterday was dollar day at Goodwill, so I took the kids "treasure hunting" :) DD found yet another purse to add to her collection. I don't know where she gets her love of purses, jewelry, and shoes; she sure as heck doesn't get it from me! She found a Coach handbag yesterday, and even though it was double my normal limit, I got it for her after DS pointed out that it has C for *her name*

I got home and looked it up. It's very similar to this: http://www.coach.com/online/handbags/Product-legacy_signature_mini_rory_bag-10551-10051-48448-en It's an almost $200 bag that I got for $8!

I keep giggling about it because anyone who knows me would say I'm the last person they would expect to have designer labels around, yet my 2yo was running errands with her Coach bag.  :P Meanwhile, my purse is a no-name Goodwill find that cost $2.50
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

cattlekid

« Reply #537 on: June 14, 2013, 06:43:11 PM »
A friend was helping another friend with a garage sale today.  I got a text with a picture of three large bins of yarn, asking if I wanted any.  I noticed that about half the skeins still had their paper wrappers (I'm terrible at guessing yarn weights and fiber content).  I told her to fish out all the skeins with wrappers and I'll take the lot.  I got 35 skeins of yarn for $29. 

I never had a yarn stash before....guess I do now!   ;D

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
« Reply #538 on: June 15, 2013, 12:02:18 AM »
Welcome to yarnaholics anonymous... your membership card and t-shirt will arrive in the mail in 4-6 weeks.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #539 on: June 15, 2013, 05:22:08 PM »
my score from my favorite second-hand shop this week:

an antique brass box. no identifying marks, but appears to be very old based on how the hinges and latch are constructed.
Two round copper bowls with handles. One small, one large.
An antique copper coal scuttle with a porcelain handle.
One very much not old/antique plastic laundry basket, very big.

I paid $17.00 for the whole lot. The copper coal scuttle alone sells on eBay and Etsy for anywhere from $15-$30. Heck, the laundry basket would cost $30 if I bought it new..it's a good brand and the ones I see for sale in stores here are all around $20-$30.