News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 29, 2016, 03:57:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 201173 times)

RegionMom

• ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #540 on: June 15, 2013, 05:06:37 PM »
Moving sales, among the yard sales, when they really just want the stuff gone, yielded:
1 pair men's jeans for DH
1 tablecloth that fits
2 dresses that DD likes (of the 5 I got)
3 binders
4 shirts (2 that DD decided she liked)
4 old VHS movies (yes, I still have and use my VCR)

grand total?  $6.50. 

Color me happy and cheap!!
:)

The 3 dresses and 2 shirts she rejected are already in "The Giveaway Drawer" for a charity donation. 
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Amara

« Reply #541 on: June 15, 2013, 06:03:08 PM »
Another happy morning at my two favorite thrift stores:

A slipper chair, smallish and a little low to the ground, upholstered in a lovely blue and cream fabric. Perfect for the guest room--and only $7.00!

Two salad plates and a round bowl in the Mikasa intaglio Garden Harvest pattern: http://img3.etsystatic.com/000/0/6082734/il_fullxfull.245790647.jpg  Each one was one dollar and will serve me (or me and a friend) cheese and crackers beautifully!

A beautiful white straw fashion hat. That was $11.00.

A pretty sofa pillow in cream for $2.

A stunning antique lamp shade in rich cream along with a floor lamp for $40. (She discounted it because the shade alone had been priced at $45.) This is next to the slipper chair.

A Murano glass wrapped candy in emerald and clear glass; these are much bigger than I thought. It's the same one as the green one here: http://img0.etsystatic.com/011/0/5804655/il_340x270.456964500_8dt1.jpg

A wood flower vase in a mint green.

Not cheap as I ended up spending about $70-$75 (with tax) but oh so worth it.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #542 on: June 16, 2013, 08:28:25 AM »
This thread inspired me to roam the Salvation Army around the corner last week when I was dropping off some things.  Sadly, I found nothing.  All the book titles that excited me where ones that I'd dropped off!  I do so much better at garage sales!
Formerly Mrs.Bart

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #543 on: June 16, 2013, 06:11:24 PM »
Picked up a pram and cot both worth $1000 or thereabouts for $220 from eBay.

And no, I'm not but we are trying. ;)

8cowwife

• Come to the dark side, we have cookies.
« Reply #544 on: June 18, 2013, 07:48:40 PM »
This is a JoAnns score.  Roaming through the clearance aisle I found 5 16x20 wrapped canvases for 6.25 because one had been damaged.  I don't paint, but I have all sorts of crafty ideas in mind for those babies!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! What a ride!"

mbbored

• Budget Grad Student
« Reply #545 on: June 20, 2013, 09:06:23 PM »
I stopped by my favorite consignment shop today and found:

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/73607.jsp for $9

An all leather, perfect condition purse for $10

A cute blouse for $3.50

A cardigan with silk details for $2

All in all, I'm pretty pleased.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #546 on: June 21, 2013, 09:03:46 AM »
This was new, but still a deal. We haven't had an enameled cast iron Dutch oven for over a year, and that kind of pot is my favorite for stews, soups, and braises. I have been looking for one, and like the Lodge Logic brand, wanted something in the 5-6 quart range.

MSRP $118 - Same price I found on many websites, in a few stores that carry them, etc.

Amazon had them for $45 in 8 colors! 6 quart & free shipping. I got the blue one.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #547 on: June 21, 2013, 10:08:45 AM »
My daughter is turning one in August (wait, what?! :o) and DH and I bought her birthday dress the other day.  I looked around online first and found one we both liked--and it was listed on the store website as clearanced and $13.  Great!  We went to the store and found it--the last one in its size--and it had been marked down to $10.  Yay!
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #548 on: June 21, 2013, 05:41:22 PM »
I ordered some clothes for myself, and for $130 I got:

A yellow cardigan
matching tank
Dark pink cardigan
Sage green denim jacket
Sage green shirt
Navy pants
Charcoal grey pant
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

MissRose

« Reply #549 on: June 22, 2013, 11:07:20 AM »
I went to a community wide garage sale thing yesterday with my mother, and between us both we spent about $100 total.  Some of our finds included:

*About 5 or 6 new/like new pairs of shoes, some of them were name brands (for my nephew, niece, dad and mom)

*Like new/new clothes for my nearly 12 year old niece with some popular brands like Hollister, Aeropostale, etc with a few items with tags still attached

*2 new bicycle helmets (for my parents)

*Some Star Wars items for my nearly 14 year old nephew and also 4 Xbox games for him

*Name brand clothes for me (Lane Bryant, etc)

*Chanel wallet for me

*Several never used hair styling implements and various styling products for me and my sister and niece

*Jeans and tees/shirts for my dad & nephew (who wear similar sizes)

*Some books, dvds and cds for myself

*2 different organizer things my sister asked for (1 is plastic with 3 drawers, the other is a stackable organizer that has 5 shelves)

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #550 on: June 22, 2013, 11:42:48 AM »
I am very into multicoloured glass sets at the moment. They were popular at the end of the 1960s/early 1970s from what I can tell. Each piece is a completely different colour. I have six highball glasses for 50p each and they are much nicer than anything new, and I was coveting a set of sundae dishes with attached saucers on eBay. I refrained, but when they were 75p each in my charity shop I had to buy the set!

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #551 on: June 22, 2013, 04:55:04 PM »
We had a yard sale today. We made some GREAT deals for people! About a dollar a pop for all the clothes and household stuff, a few electronics for $10 or lots less, and and most everything else for 50 cents or less.

Wish you all had been there. I couldn't believe how much wheelin' and dealin' went on.

Oh, and one lady I sold a bunch of fabric to came back and gave me a mini top hat for free. How neat!

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #552 on: June 23, 2013, 10:30:16 AM »
I have been looking for a new larger book case for DD's ever increasing library.  Yesterday, went past a yard sale, saw a wooden China hutch that had a lot of shelves up top and a lot of storage underneath with doors.  I stopped and asked, thinking it would be at least $100 because it is in perfect shape..$20!!!!!  It is now storing DD's books and puzzles!  The only drawback?  I pulled a muscle lifting it into my sister's truck (2 old broads moving a heavy piece of furniture while 3 teen age boys watched  >:( )

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #553 on: June 23, 2013, 06:36:37 PM »
I went to a local furniture and floor covering shop (small town, you have to be versatile!) looking for a piece of vinyl or lino for a very small area of my office.  They didn't have anything small enough, but offered to source an offcut for me.

When I went in to pick it up, it was at no charge.  And it's the perfect size.

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

z_squared82

« Reply #554 on: June 24, 2013, 04:06:45 PM »
I wasn’t my find so much as my cousin’s…

I went to a rummage sale in Next Town Over from my Cornfield, Ohio town. My cousin lived a little beyond that, so I asked if she and her husband wanted to meet me there. She said yes.

While playing the, “Would you still be my friend” game with ugly clothes, I found a fur coat. In her size. I told her she had to try it on. It fit perfectly. He husband told her she had to buy it…for all of $8. Her FIL thinks it’s genuine beaver and she wears it every Christmas. (She was 26 at the time, BTW. What 26yo wears a fur coat? The awesome kind.)

Me? I just get really happy when I get my brother’s Christmas presents (audio books) for $3 each instead of $15-$30 each at the Friends of the Library book sale.