Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 108882 times)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #540 on: June 15, 2013, 06:06:37 PM »
Moving sales, among the yard sales, when they really just want the stuff gone, yielded:
1 pair men's jeans for DH
1 tablecloth that fits
2 dresses that DD likes (of the 5 I got)
3 binders
4 shirts (2 that DD decided she liked)
4 old VHS movies (yes, I still have and use my VCR)

grand total?  $6.50. 

Color me happy and cheap!!
:)

The 3 dresses and 2 shirts she rejected are already in "The Giveaway Drawer" for a charity donation. 
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Amara

« Reply #541 on: June 15, 2013, 07:03:08 PM »
Another happy morning at my two favorite thrift stores:

A slipper chair, smallish and a little low to the ground, upholstered in a lovely blue and cream fabric. Perfect for the guest room--and only $7.00!

Two salad plates and a round bowl in the Mikasa intaglio Garden Harvest pattern: http://img3.etsystatic.com/000/0/6082734/il_fullxfull.245790647.jpg  Each one was one dollar and will serve me (or me and a friend) cheese and crackers beautifully!

A beautiful white straw fashion hat. That was $11.00.

A pretty sofa pillow in cream for $2.

A stunning antique lamp shade in rich cream along with a floor lamp for $40. (She discounted it because the shade alone had been priced at $45.) This is next to the slipper chair.

A Murano glass wrapped candy in emerald and clear glass; these are much bigger than I thought. It's the same one as the green one here: http://img0.etsystatic.com/011/0/5804655/il_340x270.456964500_8dt1.jpg

A wood flower vase in a mint green.

Not cheap as I ended up spending about $70-$75 (with tax) but oh so worth it.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #542 on: June 16, 2013, 09:28:25 AM »
This thread inspired me to roam the Salvation Army around the corner last week when I was dropping off some things.  Sadly, I found nothing.  All the book titles that excited me where ones that I'd dropped off!  I do so much better at garage sales!
Formerly Mrs.Bart

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #543 on: June 16, 2013, 07:11:24 PM »
Picked up a pram and cot both worth $1000 or thereabouts for $220 from eBay.

And no, I'm not but we are trying. ;)

8cowwife

• Come to the dark side, we have cookies.
« Reply #544 on: June 18, 2013, 08:48:40 PM »
This is a JoAnns score.  Roaming through the clearance aisle I found 5 16x20 wrapped canvases for 6.25 because one had been damaged.  I don't paint, but I have all sorts of crafty ideas in mind for those babies!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! What a ride!"

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #545 on: June 20, 2013, 10:06:23 PM »
I stopped by my favorite consignment shop today and found:

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/73607.jsp for $9

An all leather, perfect condition purse for $10

A cute blouse for $3.50

A cardigan with silk details for $2

All in all, I'm pretty pleased.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #546 on: June 21, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »
This was new, but still a deal. We haven't had an enameled cast iron Dutch oven for over a year, and that kind of pot is my favorite for stews, soups, and braises. I have been looking for one, and like the Lodge Logic brand, wanted something in the 5-6 quart range.

MSRP $118 - Same price I found on many websites, in a few stores that carry them, etc.

Amazon had them for $45 in 8 colors! 6 quart & free shipping. I got the blue one.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #547 on: June 21, 2013, 11:08:45 AM »
My daughter is turning one in August (wait, what?! :o) and DH and I bought her birthday dress the other day.  I looked around online first and found one we both liked--and it was listed on the store website as clearanced and $13.  Great!  We went to the store and found it--the last one in its size--and it had been marked down to $10.  Yay!
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #548 on: June 21, 2013, 06:41:22 PM »
I ordered some clothes for myself, and for $130 I got:

A yellow cardigan
matching tank
Dark pink cardigan
Sage green denim jacket
Sage green shirt
Navy pants
Charcoal grey pant

MissRose

« Reply #549 on: June 22, 2013, 12:07:20 PM »
I went to a community wide garage sale thing yesterday with my mother, and between us both we spent about $100 total.  Some of our finds included:

*About 5 or 6 new/like new pairs of shoes, some of them were name brands (for my nephew, niece, dad and mom)

*Like new/new clothes for my nearly 12 year old niece with some popular brands like Hollister, Aeropostale, etc with a few items with tags still attached

*2 new bicycle helmets (for my parents)

*Some Star Wars items for my nearly 14 year old nephew and also 4 Xbox games for him

*Name brand clothes for me (Lane Bryant, etc)

*Chanel wallet for me

*Several never used hair styling implements and various styling products for me and my sister and niece

*Jeans and tees/shirts for my dad & nephew (who wear similar sizes)

*Some books, dvds and cds for myself

*2 different organizer things my sister asked for (1 is plastic with 3 drawers, the other is a stackable organizer that has 5 shelves)

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #550 on: June 22, 2013, 12:42:48 PM »
I am very into multicoloured glass sets at the moment. They were popular at the end of the 1960s/early 1970s from what I can tell. Each piece is a completely different colour. I have six highball glasses for 50p each and they are much nicer than anything new, and I was coveting a set of sundae dishes with attached saucers on eBay. I refrained, but when they were 75p each in my charity shop I had to buy the set!

jmarvellous

« Reply #551 on: June 22, 2013, 05:55:04 PM »
We had a yard sale today. We made some GREAT deals for people! About a dollar a pop for all the clothes and household stuff, a few electronics for $10 or lots less, and and most everything else for 50 cents or less.

Wish you all had been there. I couldn't believe how much wheelin' and dealin' went on.

Oh, and one lady I sold a bunch of fabric to came back and gave me a mini top hat for free. How neat!

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #552 on: June 23, 2013, 11:30:16 AM »
I have been looking for a new larger book case for DD's ever increasing library.  Yesterday, went past a yard sale, saw a wooden China hutch that had a lot of shelves up top and a lot of storage underneath with doors.  I stopped and asked, thinking it would be at least $100 because it is in perfect shape..$20!!!!!  It is now storing DD's books and puzzles!  The only drawback?  I pulled a muscle lifting it into my sister's truck (2 old broads moving a heavy piece of furniture while 3 teen age boys watched  >:( )

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #553 on: June 23, 2013, 07:36:37 PM »
I went to a local furniture and floor covering shop (small town, you have to be versatile!) looking for a piece of vinyl or lino for a very small area of my office.  They didn't have anything small enough, but offered to source an offcut for me.

When I went in to pick it up, it was at no charge.  And it's the perfect size.

z_squared82

« Reply #554 on: June 24, 2013, 05:06:45 PM »
I wasn’t my find so much as my cousin’s…

I went to a rummage sale in Next Town Over from my Cornfield, Ohio town. My cousin lived a little beyond that, so I asked if she and her husband wanted to meet me there. She said yes.

While playing the, “Would you still be my friend” game with ugly clothes, I found a fur coat. In her size. I told her she had to try it on. It fit perfectly. He husband told her she had to buy it…for all of $8. Her FIL thinks it’s genuine beaver and she wears it every Christmas. (She was 26 at the time, BTW. What 26yo wears a fur coat? The awesome kind.)

Me? I just get really happy when I get my brother’s Christmas presents (audio books) for $3 each instead of $15-$30 each at the Friends of the Library book sale.