Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 115409 times)

gmatoy

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #570 on: June 27, 2013, 11:14:06 PM »
In the last two days  I found, and bought, two long-sleeved, light-weight jackets. One is purple and the other is peacock teal. Both perfect for an upcoming reunion of my DH's battalion. It will be very hot in D.C. but I freeze in air conditioned buildings! Oh, yeah, the cost? $6.00 total!

dawnfire

« Reply #571 on: July 17, 2013, 09:10:16 PM »
I just picked up advent Isis iQ uno breastpump for $5 the retail sticker on it says it's worth $195.95 from the local  thrift shop

gmatoy

« Reply #572 on: July 17, 2013, 10:31:42 PM »
Well, my DH just did better than I have done recently. He got a dining table with crayoning on the top for $15 dollars. Brought it home, sanded the top and looked it up on the Ikea web site. New (which is what it looks like now) it is $69.
Then he found 2  (not Ikea) chairs at another thrift shop for $10 each.  So, for $35, he was able to give our DD and SIL a table and chairs for their apt.

Woo hoo! :)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #573 on: July 18, 2013, 02:13:15 AM »
I usually don't buy clothing from the thrift stores since I like a specific type of leggings and v neck tees that I get online.   I gave up trying to find vests online in my plus size, and to find over shirts (camp type shirts that I can wear over my v necked tees for a light warmth without having to put on a jacket).  So, I hit the racks and for about $20 got a bunch of shirts and some vests.  Yay!  You may have guessed that I'm not a clothes horse by any stretch of the imagination, but I sure was getting sick of that poor old worn thin shirt. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #574 on: July 18, 2013, 08:02:01 AM »
I bought a bunch of old hammers and other tools for $13 the other day at my favorite second-hand shop. I'll use them for my jewelry work..those old hammers can give really cool textures to metal.

While I was there, the owner was telling me about some chairs he'd sold from the same estate my hammers came from. He paid $2 apiece for the chairs and was charging $6 apiece for them. They were Herman Miller chairs that typically retail for a few hundred dollars apiece. Whenever he handles an estate and gets the stuff into his shop to sell, he posts pictures with prices on facebook. He said there were people lined up at 2:00 A.M. to get those chairs (his shop opens at 9:00 A.M.). The ladies who ended up with them got a heck of a thrift score, I'd say.

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #575 on: July 18, 2013, 12:07:16 PM »
Went to Goodwill today and found 2 Kate Spade handbags and one Louis Vuitton. Total cost for the three of them was $31! I'm not really a handbag/purse person so am hoping to consign them.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #576 on: July 18, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
I needed some work shirts but we're on a strict budget right now, so even sales are a bit to high. 

I stopped by a local 2nd hand store and scored 3 nice, woven work shirts for $11 and change.  I will be going back for the kids school clothes and sweaters since my favorite ones are getting threadbare.

The store is really well organized and I was impressed with the quality of clothes vs. the prices. 

molly13

« Reply #577 on: July 19, 2013, 01:33:04 PM »
Just started a new job & needed to update my wardrobe.  Went to my favourite thrift store and got:

4 blouses
2 skirts
1 jean capri (with beautiful embroidery down the leg)
3 pairs summer shoes

All like new $48.00

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #578 on: July 20, 2013, 02:37:32 PM »
Went to the thrift store at the senior center this morning and found a lovely bracelet in what they used to call "Spanish gold",.  Of course it isn't real gold, but it is gorgeous!  My mother used to love Spanish gold jewelry so I recognized it right away and snapped it up!  It was $18.   ;)
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #579 on: July 20, 2013, 11:54:47 PM »
Bought my daughter a Michael Kors dress for under $20 and a Prabal Gurung dress for under $15.  I wish that Prabal Gurung dress was in my size; it is soooo beautiful. 

In my size I found an Armani women's suit jacket for $75, but I couldn't justify spending the $75... even though it was beautifully sewn (of course) and would have cost hundreds new.  If I were still practicing law I'd have snapped up that Armani jacket and worn it to court. 
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #580 on: July 21, 2013, 08:27:39 PM »
At a consignment shop this morning I found a new (with original tags) silk top from Nordstrom for $10 and a Ann Taylor skirt for $10.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #581 on: July 22, 2013, 05:41:04 PM »
Went to Goodwill today and found 2 Kate Spade handbags and one Louis Vuitton. Total cost for the three of them was $31! I'm not really a handbag/purse person so am hoping to consign them.

Make sure they're real - I thought I'd found some great big name purse buys at a thrift store, only to find out they're all fakes. Giving them away to kids for dress-up instead. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #582 on: July 23, 2013, 11:16:22 AM »

Make sure they're real - I thought I'd found some great big name purse buys at a thrift store, only to find out they're all fakes. Giving them away to kids for dress-up instead. :-)

Even if they are fake, $31 for 3 purses still isn't bad. I'd be surprised if they were real, most of the "real" stuff I see is sold by Goodwill in online auctions.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #583 on: July 23, 2013, 11:09:46 PM »
Very true, I just tend to look at them through the lens of resale value, since brand name purses are mostly not my thing.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #584 on: July 23, 2013, 11:18:51 PM »
Not so much a thrift score, but heck, everybody wants one...

A pink sparkly unicorn!!!

$20 at the local supermarket.  It's bigger than my dogs - big enough to sit in the front seat of my car with the seatbelt on.

I wonder if it poops rainbows!!!   ;D