Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 82127 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #585 on: July 24, 2013, 09:34:51 AM »
I got a big pink unicorn for Valentine's Day a few years back.  I found a little lavender unicorn to be its baby at a thrift store.

Grow up?  Never.  I might get told that I have to give up my unicorn collection!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #586 on: July 24, 2013, 09:36:15 AM »
I got a big pink unicorn for Valentine's Day a few years back.  I found a little lavender unicorn to be its baby at a thrift store.

Grow up?  Never.  I might get told that I have to give up my unicorn collection!

I have a stuffed dragon collection.  ;D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #587 on: July 24, 2013, 11:00:29 AM »
Plaster dragon, metal dragon, and a few embroidery designs - I need to actually embroider dragons on more of my stuff.

Or unicorns...Pegasus...maybe a mermaid or two...

kymom3

« Reply #588 on: July 24, 2013, 11:10:14 AM »
It's been so rainy here this summer that I haven't found as many treasures as I did last year at yard sales.  But the 127 Yard Sales are next week (127sale.com)!  My good friend, DS3, and I are driving to Tennessee early next Friday and working our way back north.  My friend has a pick up, so we will come home with it packed.  DS3 has a work obligation on Saturday so he won't be able to go out again but friend and I plan to hit the road on Saturday too.

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #589 on: July 24, 2013, 11:38:49 AM »
Went to Goodwill today and found 2 Kate Spade handbags and one Louis Vuitton. Total cost for the three of them was $31! I'm not really a handbag/purse person so am hoping to consign them.

Make sure they're real - I thought I'd found some great big name purse buys at a thrift store, only to find out they're all fakes. Giving them away to kids for dress-up instead. :-)

Even if they are fake, $31 for 3 purses still isn't bad. I'd be surprised if they were real, most of the "real" stuff I see is sold by Goodwill in online auctions.

These were priced at twice to quadruple what the regular price for purses is so I figured it was worth a shot. The Purse Forum told me the name of the LV but said it looked wrong, so in looking in other places online I found out it had a lot of things right but some major things that were not right. Not sure on the Kate Spades yet. Oh well, it was fun anyway.  :)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #590 on: July 24, 2013, 01:23:33 PM »

I have a stuffed dragon collection.  ;D

Hello Kitty and record albums here. I have a requirement for my Hello Kitty, though - it must be functional. Like my hair dryer, or my waffle iron. :-)
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #591 on: July 24, 2013, 01:30:24 PM »
(Quick, someone toss some glitter onto Julian's front seat of her car where the unicorn is/was...)

This Saturday, bopping around yard sales with a friend, found a tag still on it necklace, retail $20.  Asking price?  $1. 

:)

Also got some crazy popular teen store brand name dress (union, seven?) for $2.   And she likes it!!  (almost 16, cannot shop for her)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Coralreef

« Reply #592 on: July 24, 2013, 02:21:16 PM »
At the fundraising garage sale for the Lions' Club : a children's play tent, now lovingly occupied by my dog.  Best find ever at a garage sale.  Also found a manual meat grinder for $2 and a clay pot to cook beans for $3. 

[/right

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #593 on: July 24, 2013, 03:42:59 PM »
(Quick, someone toss some glitter onto Julian's front seat of her car where the unicorn is/was...)
Is that what you use in lieu of sawdust or shavings?
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

cattlekid

« Reply #594 on: July 24, 2013, 06:48:07 PM »
Someone at my local Goodwill is going to have a bonus day.  I have a HUGE box of Barbie dolls, all in their original packaging.  I am going to make one swoop through Amazon and any doll that won't sell for more than $5.00 at this time is going to Goodwill.  I'm sick of dealing with eBay and Amazon is easier but there are just certain dolls that don't sell for squat so it's better for me to take the tax deduction than waste my time with packaging and shipping.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #595 on: July 24, 2013, 09:16:20 PM »
Well, the glitter on the front seat would be colored rainbow glitter, ya know, to make Julian think that her unicorn pooped a rainbow! 

Or, maybe sprinkle a bag of skittles?
(their ad tagline is "taste the rainbow.")
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #596 on: July 24, 2013, 09:27:48 PM »
Well, the glitter on the front seat would be colored rainbow glitter, ya know, to make Julian think that her unicorn pooped a rainbow! 

Or, maybe sprinkle a bag of skittles?
(their ad tagline is "taste the rainbow.")
Maybe it's just my twisted sense of humor, but I am enjoying the mental picture of a unicorn in a stall with glitter bedding.  I'm positive that unicorn manure smells just like jasmine perfume. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #597 on: July 24, 2013, 09:30:22 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D  I love the idea of sparkly rainbow glitter for unicorn poop!

The unicorn is actually for Housemate - she's obsessed!  She's away at the moment, so Sparkly Pink Unicorn (with wings!!) is lying on her bed in wait. I hope it's housetrained...   :o

If it was for me, I'd have bought the Sparkly Purple Unicorn.  However, I'm the Dragon Lady of the house.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #598 on: July 28, 2013, 05:14:09 PM »
Crafters might recognize the Craftstor name - plastic tote box with handles and a tray - three different organizer trays with lids (and a 42 cent postage stamp stuck to the inside of the tote) for $7.50 (taxes included).

I now have two large totes, a small tote, and a number of variously sized organizer trays - including the one for a hot glue gun (extension cord, plug, and metal plate to protect the plastic from the hot glue and the gun's metal tip).

I've been planning on doing some organizing in the sewing room....

As a bonus, VorGuy lost a 20 oz. double walled plastic tumbler with lid and straw (with a "can't fall out lip on it) on vacation - they run $3 to $5 at Wal*Mart (more other places) new for smaller 16 oz. ones, $6+ for the larger size.  I've found the smaller ones at the dollar store, but they don't "feel" quite as sturdy.  At the Goodwill, near the Craftstor tote, I found a 20 oz. one with all the parts for $1.  Since mine went out of state with him - I'm keeping the red one for now!  Double walls help keep the condensation from being too big of a problem in humidity...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 05:32:54 PM by VorFemme »

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #599 on: July 29, 2013, 01:52:37 PM »
I found a dollhouse at Goodwill for DD for $20. It's HUGE, and has carpet/laminate on the floors, a little door, and window boxes. I'm going to raid my scrapbook paper for wallpaper, and I picked up a bag of doll furniture for another $1.50

Kitty got a new cat tree as well. It's about waist high, and the comparable ones we saw at Petco were running about $60. I got this for $5. It's still outside pending a thorough scrubbing/steam cleaning, but I'm pretty happy to have found it.

I also got a sack full of beautiful embroidered pillowcases for .75 each that are destined to become nightgowns/dresses for DD.

And I got DH the card game "Munchkin" ($25) for only $1.50!!!! So he's no longer peeved that I spent the whole day treasure hunting :p
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz