Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 112437 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #600 on: July 29, 2013, 02:10:48 PM »
I found a dollhouse at Goodwill for DD for $20. It's HUGE, and has carpet/laminate on the floors, a little door, and window boxes. I'm going to raid my scrapbook paper for wallpaper, and I picked up a bag of doll furniture for another $1.50

Kitty got a new cat tree as well. It's about waist high, and the comparable ones we saw at Petco were running about $60. I got this for $5. It's still outside pending a thorough scrubbing/steam cleaning, but I'm pretty happy to have found it.

I also got a sack full of beautiful embroidered pillowcases for .75 each that are destined to become nightgowns/dresses for DD.

And I got DH the card game "Munchkin" ($25) for only $1.50!!!! So he's no longer peeved that I spent the whole day treasure hunting :p

Well done!

otterwoman

« Reply #601 on: July 29, 2013, 02:37:58 PM »
I found a dollhouse at Goodwill for DD for $20. It's HUGE, and has carpet/laminate on the floors, a little door, and window boxes. I'm going to raid my scrapbook paper for wallpaper, and I picked up a bag of doll furniture for another $1.50

Kitty got a new cat tree as well. It's about waist high, and the comparable ones we saw at Petco were running about $60. I got this for $5. It's still outside pending a thorough scrubbing/steam cleaning, but I'm pretty happy to have found it.

I also got a sack full of beautiful embroidered pillowcases for .75 each that are destined to become nightgowns/dresses for DD.

And I got DH the card game "Munchkin" ($25) for only $1.50!!!! So he's no longer peeved that I spent the whole day treasure hunting :p

I sprayed a new-to-us cat tree with catnip tea to get our cat to like it.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #602 on: July 29, 2013, 11:34:58 PM »
Last weekend I went to pick up a vintage sewing machine I bought for $25.

It's turquiose and cream.  The nameplate says Wizard. How could ai resist?

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #603 on: July 30, 2013, 08:06:39 AM »
I bought a solid mahogany glider rocker chair for $20 yesterday. It needs a new cushion, but that's easy enough to do.

I also bought two Pyrex measuring cups at the same shop. I paid $7 for the pair.

heartmug

« Reply #604 on: July 30, 2013, 12:07:52 PM »

What a great idea!
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #605 on: July 30, 2013, 05:07:03 PM »

You couldn't and I'm glad you didn't!  Way cool.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #606 on: July 31, 2013, 02:34:13 AM »
It's not quite a thrift score per say, since I didn't buy it, but when I was in Nashville last month, I was walking back to the hostel where I was staying, and happened to glance down for some reason (probably to get a kink out of my neck), and saw a perfectly good Ipod wall charger on the ground, so I bent down and scooped it up and threw it in my bag. It worked perfectly, so DH and I each have one (he uses his to charge his cell phone).

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #607 on: July 31, 2013, 12:53:56 PM »
I've been hunting for a new sofa/loveseat set for a while since our sectional is looking horrible and just isn't comfortable anymore. I found a leather set for $200! Yes, you can see some wear when you are up close, but man, it is comfortable!

norrina

« Reply #608 on: August 10, 2013, 11:17:40 PM »
I stopped by a church charity shop today to look for some housewares, and noticed a swimsuit with the tags and "hygienic liner" still on it. Normally I wouldn't give a second-hand swimsuit a second glance, but since this suit had clearly never been worn I decided to give it a look. It fits me like a charm (and I'm so petite that finding properly fitting clothing can be a challenge). Esprit brand, the tags indicate the retail value was $38 for the bottoms and $40 for the top, and I got the set for $4.25.

MissRose

« Reply #609 on: August 24, 2013, 02:27:01 PM »
At various garage sales recently, I have found some new or like new clothing items for my niece (age 12 as of September) with each item $3 or under with popular brands like Aeropostale, Hollister, etc that preteens/teens like.   The best steal was a pair of jeans for her by Dolce and Gabbana I found for $5 on a thrift store rack, even if they are a knock off, no one will ever know the difference - she will probably fit them next spring or summer so they are set aside for her.

jmarvellous

« Reply #610 on: August 24, 2013, 03:58:49 PM »
We are in a city where the thrift prices are SHOCKING to me (moved from the South to the East Coast), but we managed to get everything we needed for our new home, under budget, with a mix of secondhand/thrift and Ikea. For around $450 (including front-stoop delivery of our little couch!), we got:

Dinette (table and two chairs) plus a woven center trivet and a tablecloth to cover the less-than-perfect tablecloth

Desk and desk chair

Small couch/loveseat

Area rug and nonslip pads for all our rugs (moved from carpet to wood floors)

Antique corner shelf, large mirror in wood frame, pottery lamp, radio with good speakers, mantel clock, wooden coatrack and three unusual modern art posters (all from my FIL's overstuffed shed!)

... And thank goodness, because everything else in this city is just as expensive as its secondhand furniture!

Amara

« Reply #611 on: August 24, 2013, 04:09:51 PM »
I found only one thing on my weekly trip to to my favorite thrift store, but it is a good. A small rectangle decorative pillow, a match to one I had found a month ago from the same store. It is a cotton so fine it looks and feels like silk with a beautiful tone-on-tone design in the palest celery green that looks gorgeous on the sofa. How much you ask? Four dollars! (Have you priced decorative pillows lately? :o)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #612 on: August 24, 2013, 10:47:52 PM »

Like this?  Gorgeous!
http://stagecoachroadsewing.com/wizard.html
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bethczar

« Reply #613 on: August 26, 2013, 04:50:39 PM »
I bought a brand new, never used Fossil purse at Goodwill yesterday for $8. I'm not sure how much it cost new, but there is one on EBay in the same condition going for $65.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #614 on: August 27, 2013, 01:11:04 AM »
A like-new women's button down for $0.25!