Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 109625 times)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #615 on: August 28, 2013, 04:15:58 PM »
After running (ok, jogging and walking) a 5k Sat. morn, I stopped at one yard sale as they were closing up and bought 5 pair of jeans, DD's size, for $2.50.

She has yet to try on a single pair, but if even ONE fits, it is a Thrift Score!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

dawbs

« Reply #616 on: August 28, 2013, 04:41:39 PM »
My toddler is absurdly into Diego right now.  If you didn't know, they don't make a lot of Diego stuff--it has fallen by the wayside and some of the play-sets that were originally 30 dollar toys now appear on eBay for over $100.

We found *most* of a Diego playset @ the local thrift store for $2.50.  I added to that about $7 worth of the same playset (not quite complete) on ebay and...ta-da, a birthday present is born. (it's this set:  http://compare.ebay.com/like/181163315121?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar)

(and for whatever reason, there were oodles of Diego figurines at the thrift store that day--apparently someone cleaned out their toddler's collection.  we got this too:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/190878680569?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar (missing the stethescope, but, we have a toy stethoscope already)
My husband was a bit twitchy about giving her used gifts for her birthday...but if I could have bought them new, I would have...but not for $200.)

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #617 on: August 28, 2013, 04:51:01 PM »
I'm currently renting.  I took the place sight unseen to learn that it has an 'accent' wall in what I call dog diarrhea.  All of my furniture is cottage style/ shabby chic in blues, yellows and whites.  The office calls it 'pumpkin burnt sienna'.   Let's just say that the color pops in an unattractive way with my furnishings.

I was at a women's shelter thrift store last week and found a tasteful framed print in whites, beiges, and grays with autumn leaves (including pumpkin burnt sienna) that covers over 3 1/2 feet by 2 1/2 feet of the wall.  The piece cost $15.  The frame and glass alone are worth at least $60 and I love the picture -- it'll be reusable in other spaces I'll live in while it is still hiding a large swatch of a color I don't like.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #618 on: August 28, 2013, 05:08:19 PM »
Decluttering and organizing my sewing room - Goodwill had a rolling metal rack with plastic top and one wire drawer - plastic stops for three drawers.  Less than $14 with tax.  No more wire drawers the correct size....

Priced at Home Depot, the parts totaled over $83 before taxes.  Two more drawers cost about $44 - still a significant savings for what will hold a lot of stuff and (more importantly) slide under the cutting table, roll to other areas of the room, and is sturdy enough to set my laptop on!

All I have to do is get upstairs and decide what gets stored in it!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #619 on: August 31, 2013, 01:15:30 PM »
I'm hijacking slightly; not thrift scores, but just great bargains.

Kohls: i got a nice Jo Lo dress, orig. $74, for about $10 on clearance.  Macys: pj's - last week, $54 full pair for $12, a $36 pj bottom for just under $8, and a  this week, 2 ribbed cotton sleep tanks, orig. $32 each, for $7.50 each.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #620 on: August 31, 2013, 02:14:10 PM »
Not too many yard sales today, just hit a few on the way to the credit union for a bit of business.

Of what there was,

the first one wanted $15 for a used swimsuit, $10 for a blue tank top, and $20 for an Old Navy cream colored plain men's sweater.  I tried pretty hard to stifle a laugh, but I did take up the tank top, thinking DD might like it, and asked to confirm the price.  From the look of shock on my face when she confirmed the sticker of $10, the seller's response was, "that was originally $30.  What price would you say it should be?"

"Well, normally, it is one dollar per clothing item, unless a fancy dress or a really nice/unworn item, and then usually never more than $5."

she took the item back with a shrug and I drove away.

At the next sale up the hill, I bought a lovely dress, sort of a sundress that could be dressy or casual with accessories, that the owner said she had worn to a hot outdoor wedding.  Cost- $1.

I also bought two tops for 50 cents each at that sale.  Another customer had also been at the expensive "sale" and we laughed together, as did the owner of the current yard sale.  She was happy to get rid of stuff, and pricing more expensively than GoodWill was just crazy!!

I also got a steering wheel cover, in a red print that matches the color of my van, for the slightly unusual price of 55 cents, instead of 50 cents.  I happily paid and felt really cool as I drove to the credit union.

:)

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #621 on: September 03, 2013, 03:05:57 PM »
the first one wanted $15 for a used swimsuit, $10 for a blue tank top, and $20 for an Old Navy cream colored plain men's sweater.  I tried pretty hard to stifle a laugh, but I did take up the tank top, thinking DD might like it, and asked to confirm the price.  From the look of shock on my face when she confirmed the sticker of $10, the seller's response was, "that was originally $30.  What price would you say it should be?"
A former coworker had to leave the islands unexpectedly.  She needed to sell her household stuff to make enough money to pay for her ticket home.  We bought a used air conditioner from her.  She asked a little bit more than I expected, but I considered the extra $ my gift to her for her new life.  We have friends who needed everything and lived near coworker.  They told us that she did, indeed, have several items they could use, but that she was asking 90% of the original price for well used stuff.  She wouldn't budge on the prices.  She later told me that the day before she had to be out of the rental house, a liquidator stopped by and offered her pennies on the dollar.  She was furious at him, but she had no choice at that time.  She should have bargained with our friends, but she had an unreasonable expectation of how well items hold their value.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

SCMagnolia

« Reply #622 on: September 03, 2013, 03:36:49 PM »
I see I'm going to need to learn how to shop the thrift stores!

Another slight hijack -- My best bargain ever was a suede/shearling coat from Coldwater Creek.  I found it at one of their outlet stores on an "as is" rack.  Looked it over very carefully with the one of the salesladies and we never did find what was wrong with it to make it "as is," it is in perfect condition.  The price tag read $18, and I can't remember if I got any additional discount on it or not, but considering the same coat was in their catalog for $119, I was pretty impressed with myself!

Now I'm curious as to what I might find at Goodwill!

gingerzing

« Reply #623 on: September 03, 2013, 04:15:01 PM »
This weekend at the "Mission Store"  (thrift shop that funds a homeless shelter here in town)
Besides the Vera Wang tunic length t-shirt for $3 and a pair of dress pants, I got a Fossil purse (newish) for $20.  Been trying to find it online (though I am sure it is at least a year or two old) but most of their purses that are sort of similar are about $140

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #624 on: September 03, 2013, 07:54:06 PM »
Not me, but a friend. she is very frugal (read: cheap) and cannot fathom that not everything costs a few dollars. which is fine, but she can be irritating about it at times. Anyway, she was in a local thrift store, and found an older, maybe first or second generation, or shortly after, ipod. for $6. she could care less its old, as it works, and is happy as a clam.

CakeBeret

« Reply #625 on: September 04, 2013, 10:16:09 AM »
This weekend I got 4 pairs of dress slacks, a pair of jeans, and a nice shirt for $11.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

cwm

« Reply #626 on: September 04, 2013, 10:30:22 AM »
Dress and leather jacket for my cosplay/Halloween costume for $30. Now all I need is black tights and boots. I will be able to pull this off for less than $75. Finding the boots is going to be the next trick, but we only managed to get to one shop last night, and I'll be scouring the stores for the rest.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #627 on: September 04, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »
I am not buying any clothes for my cruise. I have enough to suit and I think I can get everything in one suitcase!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #628 on: September 04, 2013, 12:15:44 PM »
I am not buying any clothes for my cruise. I have enough to suit and I think I can get everything in one suitcase!

Where are you going? I'm planning one to Bermuda next May and can't wait!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #629 on: September 04, 2013, 12:34:18 PM »
Bahamas from Port Canaveral, Florida. Just a quick weekend, but I need to get my sail on!  8)

We had been looking at the GoPro Hero 3 cameras, and I had one in my Amazon cart. It went down $70 in a week. I just ordered it! http://gopro.com/hd-hero3-cameras?gclid=CIORpfGVsrkCFcJj7AodFR0AuA We bought the black model for $329 on Amazon.