Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 108178 times)

jmarvellous

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #630 on: September 04, 2013, 02:32:53 PM »
We shopped around and around and around for our first-year law books. Our schools estimate that we'll pay $750 each for the mandatory books each semester, so $1,500 for two students. We got all of them, not just the mandatory ones, for $300!
It's not exactly "thrift shopping" (Goodwill doesn't often have the latest editions of specific Torts casebooks!) but it is thrifty! I hope we can keep this up in the future.

Amara

« Reply #631 on: September 04, 2013, 05:55:44 PM »
Took a vacation day today to schedule a full round of doctor, dental, and car visits. I had a short 15-minute break shortly after 10:00 this morning so I stopped by my favorite thrift store. They always have bunches of hangers for sale, most of the time those excellent wooden ones and satin ones as well as regular plastic ones. They package the wood ones as five for $1. I got two sets today!

CakeBeret

« Reply #632 on: September 05, 2013, 12:10:46 PM »
We shopped around and around and around for our first-year law books. Our schools estimate that we'll pay $750 each for the mandatory books each semester, so $1,500 for two students. We got all of them, not just the mandatory ones, for $300!
It's not exactly "thrift shopping" (Goodwill doesn't often have the latest editions of specific Torts casebooks!) but it is thrifty! I hope we can keep this up in the future.

When I was in undergrad, I could actually make a profit on textbooks some semesters. I bought them on Amazon or Ebay for roughly 10-30% of list price. At the end of the semester, the university bookstore would buy them back from me for 30% of list price. The bookstore turned around and sold them for 50% of list price.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

workerbee

« Reply #633 on: September 05, 2013, 02:31:31 PM »
Popped into my favorite consignment shop during lunch today, came out with a J Crew 100% wool grey houndstooth blazer and a navy boucle "cardi/jacket" from Talbots for $40 total! Plus a Talbots cotton shell for $2.40.

More than I usually spend at lunch, but still a deal!  ;D

Amara

« Reply #634 on: September 07, 2013, 06:25:39 PM »
A wonderful day. Last week was thin; I got two batches of fabulous wooden hangers, each bundle priced at $1. Today was a richer feast for me. For $36.80 I got a a decorative pillow in light blue to use on my office chair, a pretty, pretty famed print of two women chatting in a cafe in the 1920s, a green tablecloth which I am going to cover my new comforter with while I am at work in case the cats decide to use it for hairballs, and my most amazing find, two pairs of unworn Nike athletic shoes in perfect condition. One was priced at $9, the other at $7. The shoes are an especially good buy for me because I wear a (women's) size 11 and I like them to be wide enough to accommodate my toes without pinching.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #635 on: September 07, 2013, 06:57:17 PM »
I needed a new nice black blazer as my old one was extremely too big on me.  I had been just about to every store in a 10 mile radius and found nada. Everything I found that fit and was passable style wise was either too itchy, too long, too expensive, or too heavy/hot. 

On a whim a few weeks ago I popped into a thrift store and as I was browsing, caught a sleeve out of the corner of my eye. I picked it up and it was a very nice lined black blazer that still had the original tag of $49.99 on it...it was marked $3.00.  It fit beautifully.  When it was rang up, it turned out to be on sell for $1.50.  Awesome!
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #636 on: September 07, 2013, 07:00:21 PM »
Brought a candle holder marked 99 cents.  The register rang it up for one cent.

The cashier saw it and showed another cashier so it's not a mistake that needed to be brought to their attention.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 07:03:04 PM by rose red »

dawnfire

« Reply #637 on: September 08, 2013, 04:04:36 AM »
last week I picked up 2 shorts, 1 pair of jeans and a t shirt for a toddler for $4

jmarvellous

« Reply #638 on: September 08, 2013, 10:34:35 AM »
My husband told me "If I see a desk lamp around that I think you'd like, I'll get it for you!" I asked him to please not do that because I'd like to see anything he'd pick out first. He took the initiative to go to a thrift store himself, and talked the clerk down by $2 because the lamp was missing a tiny, wouldn't know it was missing if you didn't know it was supposed to be there, lightbulb cover. So a $3 desk lamp that I don't mind looking at is there. Nice surprise!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #639 on: September 08, 2013, 11:06:07 AM »
Years ago, in the late, lamented Lands End Not Quite Perfect store, Mr. Thipu found a baseball cap.  It had the embroidered inscription 'Dawn Patrol' which tickled him because he had to get up about 4 AM for work.  The cap was very well made with a leather sizer and a good quality brass slide.  It had also had been heavily discounted but we weren't quite sure how much it cost. 

When we paid we laughed out loud when we learned that the cap cost the spectacular sum of 24 cents. 

Emmy

« Reply #640 on: September 08, 2013, 05:22:28 PM »
In the thrift store, I found a onesie and pair of baby pants for DD2, both of which looked brand new.  $1 for both.  A pair of pants for DD1 for $1.  A beautiful silver Ann Taylor jacket for $5 and a cute Ann Taylor Loft skirt for me for $4. 

My town was having their town yard sale.  I didn't find a lot of what I was looking for, but did find a few good deals.  Two dresses for DD1 in great condition (one was a Gap dress) for $1. 

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #641 on: September 11, 2013, 12:40:29 PM »
I blew every last elbow out of every last sweater I own last winter and went looking for replacements over the weekend.

I got:

1 true wool sweater (cable knit crewneck)
1 wool/cashmere blend sweater (chunky cable knit turtleneck)
1 chenille pullover
1 cotton cable knit cardigan
1 pair of nice dress pants for work
1 pair of nearly new Levis that fit like they were made for me.

All for the princely sum of $30 and change. 

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #642 on: September 11, 2013, 12:48:30 PM »
Yesterday I got my must-go-and-look vibe for a particular charity shop. I found:

A copy of the calligraphy set with the lovely Sheafer pen that I had lost when I was in school, complete with nibs and cartridges - 3.50.
A set of gold charger plates to match my own - 5
A large "easy lifter" for picking up and moving cakes - 5
A Royal Worcester gateau stand in the Viceroy pattern. It goes marvellously with my dinner service because it's white with a gold rim. 10
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Worcester-Boxed-Cake-PLate-Stand-Charger-Platter-Viceroy-White-and-Gold-/111150065706?pt=UK_PotteryPorcelain_Glass_PotteryPorcelain_China_SM&hash=item19e10f682a

cattlekid

« Reply #643 on: September 13, 2013, 04:55:01 PM »
I got what I think might be my personal best deal today at my local Goodwill.

An Adrienne Vittadini handbag with the original designer and Neiman Marcus tags still on it for the princely sum of $4.99. 

I tried looking up this particular bag online and wasn't successful.  It's perfect for fall as the body is rust and gold plaid fabric and the top, bottom sides and handle are chocolate leather. 

dawnfire

« Reply #644 on: September 16, 2013, 07:57:51 PM »
got a good one at the local sundry auction yesterday

a black office chair like this http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Furniture/Chairs/Leather-and-Plush-Chairs/OWEUROCHBK
for $10.