Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 115316 times)

jmarvellous

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #645 on: September 16, 2013, 08:25:35 PM »
Today, $9 total:
1 winter coat, hits below the knee and fits perfectly up top, flecked gray
1 corner curio/book shelf I'm using as a mega spice rack
1 metal 3-shelf kitchen rack

To be fair, the last two were completely free, but $9 for a nice, barely worn coat is pretty good around here.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #646 on: September 16, 2013, 10:05:20 PM »
Lime Green office chair with lift - no arms - $10.  It needs steam cleaning badly enough that I did not buy it...but I might go back tomorrow to see if it is still there.

I'm looking for a gray purse/tote bag of a "certain size" as I am getting tired of black and I'm getting tired of trying to find anything inside a black bag with a black lining.

Maybe I should just reline a couple of the purses that I already have?  Wait - leather or vinyl - bad idea to get another row of stitches in there...never mind.

Microfiber purse - maybe.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

gmatoy

« Reply #647 on: September 16, 2013, 11:07:54 PM »
Lime Green office chair with lift - no arms - $10.  It needs steam cleaning badly enough that I did not buy it...but I might go back tomorrow to see if it is still there.

I'm looking for a gray purse/tote bag of a "certain size" as I am getting tired of black and I'm getting tired of trying to find anything inside a black bag with a black lining.

Maybe I should just reline a couple of the purses that I already have?  Wait - leather or vinyl - bad idea to get another row of stitches in there...never mind.

If there is a lining already, you can just hand stitch a new fabric lining onto the old one. No sewing through the leather. ;D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #648 on: September 17, 2013, 09:48:55 AM »

If there is a lining already, you can just hand stitch a new fabric lining onto the old one. No sewing through the leather. ;D

I was looking at key chains with mini-flashlights yesterday & thinking that might even be easier.

I was also looking around the house and lime green does not go with any of the décor.  Maybe if I still had a daughter...or didn't already have two rolling office chairs in the sewing room...

Syfygeek

« Reply #649 on: September 23, 2013, 09:44:56 AM »
I am so excited! I stopped in a Goodwill on my way home, and found a red plaid wool jacket, with black velvet collar for $5. Padded shoulders, sleeves are long enough, and it's in perfect condition- and it's a size 24, which is hard to find at most thrift stores. C'mon cold weather!
That's my purse! I don't know you!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #650 on: September 23, 2013, 12:35:09 PM »
Coldwater Creek outlet in mytown.

Two shirts, five jackets. $75

One jacket is a duster in cream and slate blue. http://www.coldwatercreek.com/product-detail/57046/63391/printed-knit-duster.aspx?colorid=687&refLink=search.aspx

One jacket is hunter green. Two cardigan jackets, one in gray and one in plum. One zipped jacket in white with a heart design. Two shirts, one a long sleeve scoop neck in white for $1.33 and one short sleeve, ruched sides in aqua.

Hillia

« Reply #651 on: October 02, 2013, 11:17:11 PM »
A Spirit SS185 treadmill in perfect condition for $45.  This is an older model, but a nice well built one, with 4 built in programs plus the ability to create your own.  It goes up to 8mph and has an incline feature.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #652 on: October 03, 2013, 09:09:23 AM »
DH found an old counter top apple peeler/corer at a yard sale for $1, and at another one earlier that day, he found a bunch of pristine hard cover Danielle Steele novels for a quarter each, so he bought a bunch of them for DM who is a huge fan!

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #653 on: October 03, 2013, 11:07:45 AM »
I got a cute red and khaki print Appleseed's dress blouse at a shop near me this week.  It was $5, which seems high to some, but Appleseed's clothes do not wear out.  A similar top in their catalog was selling for $59.95 (plus shipping, naturally).  My goal is to lose weight, but this fits great now and can be re-donated when (if!) I drop the 40 lbs I should.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

Amara

« Reply #654 on: October 06, 2013, 02:32:55 PM »
I adore the holidays at this time of the year. While I hate Halloween I like the "fall" decorations, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. All the shelter magazines feature, not surprisingly, interiors that are decorated in the colors of the seasons and full of holiday items (or clutter depending on your feelings). I love these! But I don't have them because I don't want to store a bunch of stuff for 10-11 months of the year.

That said, when I went to my weekly thrift store yesterday I found some pretty garlands of silk maple leaves in red, orange and yellow along with small gourds and squashes. Each garland was only $1 so I ended up buying them along with the gourds, thinking that I would be willing to store these as they are small, lightweight, and quite attractive. Right now, they are on my dining table looking, I must say, very pretty. I only regret not getting a small, unusual wrought iron candlestick that would look perfect in the center of them. I can only hope it is there when I go back next Saturday. I gave one garland to my hairdresser who was thrilled and arranged the other four. They're just the right size to add that "fall" touch to my home, and the price--$15--was very good. Next I will be keeping a watch out for Thanksgiving stuff. A small amount of it.

finecabernet

« Reply #655 on: October 06, 2013, 09:23:13 PM »
Last week at a hospital thrift store I bought a pair of Chico's pants (on clearance for $2.50!) and a Banana Republic top for $4.50. Also a wooden footstool for $5.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #656 on: October 07, 2013, 12:05:03 AM »
I bought capris for my costume for 7 dollars on clearance (I'm going as Amy Pond from day of the moon)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #657 on: October 10, 2013, 11:20:13 AM »
A real estate agent near us always has a display of art pottery in the window.  The pieces are  distinctive and made by a local artist. 

Yesterday, I found two very nice examples sitting next to a public litter bin.  It was obvious that they were free to a good home.

They now have it.  Each of these pieces would have sold for at least 75USD.  There are small flaws in the glaze but that only adds to the character. 

Bandu

« Reply #658 on: October 17, 2013, 07:05:55 PM »
I love all these stories from my fellow hunters!

For $62.24, I went to Sweater Heaven today at one of the Goodwill shops in Waco. Got 10 nice sweaters, various weights, all in very good or new condition:
Gap, 100% lambswool
George, 100% cashmere
Ridgewood, 100% merino wool
Murano, 100% merino wool
Roundtree & Yorke, 100 cotton cable knit
J. Crew, 100% heavy wool
Banana Republic, 100% lightweight cotton
Merona, 70% lambswool blend
American  Blue, 75%silk/25% linen
Old Navy, 100% cashmere, new with tags

I'm all set for the winter, and happy, happy, happy!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #659 on: October 18, 2013, 05:52:21 PM »
Miche prima purse "base", set of plain black straps with a 10" drop, and a cream-gray ostrich with black trim "shell" at the closest local Goodwill.

The website gives the prices new as $40 for the shell (same price on a sticker inside) with magnetic flaps, at least $40 for the Prima base (basically a canvas purse with a beige lining that slips into the shell (so one basic purse can be slid into various shells without unpacking everything), and the basic straps range from $10 to $20 on eBay (not the basic set from the Miche site or at least not the entire set).

Cost when it was purchased would have been at least $80 (special for "free straps" on the website, if you ordered two shells) but if they only got the one purse, shell, and one set of straps - then probably $90 USA - my cost was $7.

I checked eBay - the shell was pretty consistent at a price not less than $20 (shipping & handling may or may not have been included, depended on the seller) and the straps started at $10 to $20 (cost more if still in the original packaging) - the interior "lining" bag ranged from $20 to $45 with or sometimes without shipping included.

I am so glad I liked this thing enough to buy it at Goodwill!  I did not recognize the brand name!

I'm debating looking at another shell, if I find one that I like.....for $20 - not paying $40, sorry about that, Miche salesladies (it is something sold at parties - much like Tupperware).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:03:28 PM by VorFemme »