Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 82356 times)

8cowwife

• Come to the dark side, we have cookies.
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #660 on: October 18, 2013, 11:29:41 PM »
I found a lovely Talbots black quilted jacket the other day at goodwill.  It's gorgeous, it fits amazingly and makes me feel sexy.  All that for 8 dollars, and according to the latest InStyle magazine quilting is hot this season.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! What a ride!"

MissRose

« Reply #661 on: October 19, 2013, 03:56:42 PM »
Today, at the local library semi annual used book sale, I got a large bag of books for $3.  I've gotten some nice brand name items for my sister's kids at the thrift store (mainly clothes) too.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #662 on: October 19, 2013, 10:01:01 PM »
I got a gallon sized baggie of Barbie clothes ($2.50), two Barbies ($1.50) and a pink Barbie convertible ($1.50). And now Christmas for my niece is taken care of! She's going think I'm amazing for just over $5!!

I also got 2 new bookshelves for the kids' playroom, a big, 5 shelf one, and a smaller 3 shelf one for $8 total.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Amara

« Reply #663 on: October 26, 2013, 04:15:34 PM »
Two bath mats in a forest green, each one $3.00. They are incredibly thick and soft, and I don't think they were ever used. Also, a small hardcover cookbook: Hot and Spicy: Fiery Favorites from America's Hot Spots for $1. I browsed through this before buying and some of them look outstanding!

Yea, big spender today.  ;D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #664 on: January 16, 2014, 07:22:01 PM »
My Miche Prima bag is now inside a purple shell and the two shoulder straps have been replaced with one, longer strap (can go cross body) - and there is an organizer inside - all courtesy of eBay!  The lining is beige, so it is much easier to find things inside the purse AND I still have the original beige & black shell for when it gets warmer.

For a stocking stuffer, Ambrosia Hino & WondderfulSonInLaw (WSIL) brought me a Star Trek action figure of Captain Picard. 

Earlier this week, I spotted a small coffee cup with a space scene on it at the Salvation Army.  There was a little lettering along the bottom that said "To boldly go where no one has gone before".

I got home, washed it, and filled it with hot water....the "clear" glaze turned to Star Trek, The Next Generation and the Enterprise (lettering says Paramount Studios & 1992 - among other things).

I now have the perfect mug for a cup of Earl Gray, hot! 

I'm a happy little post menopausal nerd!  Well hydrated with hot tea, too....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Waterlight

« Reply #665 on: January 16, 2014, 09:15:13 PM »
I love eBay...

Recent eBay scores:

A couple of cashmere sweaters (one is an aqua cardigan, the other a deep pink pullover with a low neckline and a twist front--I paid about $75 for both;

and would probably not have spent as much if I didn't have a weakness for cashmere sweaters ;)

A cute ruffled top from Sweet Pea by Stacy Frati for $14, that would likely have cost 5-6 times that brand new;
Another Sweet Pea by Stacy Frati top for $22, that would have cost about 3-4 times that brand new.

Sweet Pea is a designer label, carried in Nordstrom and Anthropologie, I also have a weakness for--I love the stretch nylon that is so forgiving for us amply-endowed ladies, the different wrap- and twist-front styles and empire waists that camouflage my tummy, and the cool floral and paisley prints!
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

snowfire

« Reply #666 on: January 17, 2014, 10:37:55 AM »
A brand new, stainless steel water bottle with the Star Trek logo for $1. (Yep, I'm a geek.)

A good size insulated plastic cooler for $1.25 that I'm going to turn into a shelter for the barn kitties up at our cabin.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #667 on: January 17, 2014, 02:18:48 PM »
4 boxes of Unicef Christmas Cards today at Pier 1 - originally $12/box (12 cards, so $1/card) for $1.18 per box!  48 cards for just over $5.00 with tax.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #668 on: January 17, 2014, 03:25:06 PM »
I have heard awesome things about the Goodwill down the street from my office and the neighborhood is pretty high end.  Last week, I ran in for a couple of minutes and walked out with a couple of finds:

Talbots navy blue lined skirt (the type that looks like suiting material)
Talbots wool blend lined pants

All for $8 and some change.  I do need to get the pants hemmed.

Talbots pants are normally around $119 and their skirts $79.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #669 on: January 20, 2014, 12:13:23 AM »
My Miche Prima bag is now inside a purple shell and the two shoulder straps have been replaced with one, longer strap (can go cross body) - and there is an organizer inside - all courtesy of eBay!  The lining is beige, so it is much easier to find things inside the purse AND I still have the original beige & black shell for when it gets warmer.

For a stocking stuffer, Ambrosia Hino & WondderfulSonInLaw (WSIL) brought me a Star Trek action figure of Captain Picard. 

Earlier this week, I spotted a small coffee cup with a space scene on it at the Salvation Army.  There was a little lettering along the bottom that said "To boldly go where no one has gone before".

I got home, washed it, and filled it with hot water....the "clear" glaze turned to Star Trek, The Next Generation and the Enterprise (lettering says Paramount Studios & 1992 - among other things).

I now have the perfect mug for a cup of Earl Gray, hot! 

I'm a happy little post menopausal nerd!  Well hydrated with hot tea, too....

I love the sound of your mug! Now I'm hunting EBay for one of my own!

In the meantime, I stopped by a consignment store and picked up a wool pencil skirt and two wool sweaters for under $20.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #670 on: January 25, 2014, 04:56:41 PM »
CRUD MONKEYS! - I found a red leather Hermes bag at the local Goodwill for about $10 about two hours ago and took it up to the front counter to be rehung with their "designer" bags.

I just checked eBay because I was curious about what a Hermes bag would cost.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Hermes-Rouge-H-Red-Veau-Crispe-Togo-Birkin-35cm-PHW-MINT-/151213284504?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item2335039c98

Jumping Jehosephat!  For just $9,975 I could have gotten this one (identical, right down the leather covered padlock & key on a leather thong)...

I may go back to the Goodwill.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Hermes-Rouge-H-Red-Veau-Crispe-Togo-Birkin-35cm-PHW-MINT-/151213284504?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item2335039c98 - okay - this one looks even more like the one at Goodwill.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

For less than $10 - I bought it, brought it home and compared it to the photos.

I strongly suspect that it is a knock-off (the gold stamping on the leather above the center latch and the straps reinforcing the base with the studs that keep the bottom of the bag off the ground/surface it is resting on are missing).  The padlock in a little red leather (vinyl? - no materials tag on the inside) is plain silvery metal instead of the various styles of engraving shown on the various eBay auctions.

But for $10 - I have the absolutely perfect Dirty Santa present for this coming Christmas with my Red Hat Society group (last year, I found a "no name" purple purse that got stolen the maximum number of times allowed) and I think that it cost me about the same amount as this one.

And I expect that it will be stolen just as many times as the "law" allows!

If it weren't a handbag (straps too short to wear over the shoulder), I'd be rather inclined to use it myself!  It's large enough to hold what I want to carry around...but I really like the "hands free" option of a shoulder strap!

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 05:45:34 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Nikko-chan

« Reply #671 on: February 03, 2014, 06:01:45 PM »
So a friend found a fantastic one at his local thrift store. $1.50 for a trilogy of books.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #672 on: February 13, 2014, 01:30:58 PM »
I bought 2 plates, a ramekin, a springform pan, and six cups... all for less than eight dollars.

norrina

« Reply #673 on: February 13, 2014, 09:13:35 PM »
I found my husband a business suit for $10 at our local Goodwill today. I don't think it is a designer brand or anything, and it certainly isn't a designer/custom fit, but it IS a nice dark brown, 96% wool, seems well made, and fits him well enough (the pants are about 1/2" too tight, and pleat-front when he prefers flat-front). He starts a new job next Monday, and we've been planning for him to buy one new suit a month until we get his professional wardrobe built up, but we won't have the money for that for a while yet, so this was an especially nice find even if it wasn't exactly what we would have bought from an actual suit shop.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #674 on: March 02, 2014, 12:44:47 AM »
From a consignment shop today: a Banana Republic cardigan with the original tags, comfortable black flats with no visible wear, and a red leather quilted cross body bag for under $20.