Author Topic: Wedding Rugrats: Some Children Should Be Left Home!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 5437 times)

Asharah

Wedding Rugrats: Some Children Should Be Left Home!!!!!!!!!!
« on: April 10, 2011, 12:19:43 AM »
My friend Patty was a BM in my wedding four years ago.  Her daughter, Priscilla, was about seven at the time.  Priscilla liked to be the center of attention and was going through a bratty stage that lasted about five years.  ;D  When Priscilla found out that her mother was to be a BM, she cried and cried because she wanted to be a flower girl.  I had already given the job to a girl from my family.  Priscilla took center stage at my shower and made it her job to entertain my guests.

Comes the day of the wedding and we are in the church having pictures made prior to the ceremony.  Patty had instructed Priscilla’s father to bring her just before the wedding, so that she could hang out with us as we got ready, I suppose. Asharah's comment: That would have been the first mistake!  Priscilla walked into the church weeping and it went downhill from there.  We tried to include her in the photos but she had herself so worked up that she couldn’t stop crying.  I tried to call her over to me so that I could try to talk to her and soothe her, but she screamed “NO!”  Eventually Patty took her into the hall and spanked her. Asharah's comment: That was probably the one thing her parents did right that day!

At the end of the ceremony as my husband and I were walking up the isle Priscilla ran into the isle to hug us both.  Luckily she was toward the back of the church.  The worst was when we were being announced at our reception.  Immortalized on our wedding video are my husband and I walking out as we are being announced as Mr. and Mrs. for the first time.  As we start to walk out Priscilla is next to us, trying to take my other hand.  I pull away but she inserts her hand into the crook of my arm.  When we arrive in the middle of the dance floor and face our guests, who are all clapping and cheering for us, I hand Priscilla my bouquet to keep her occupied and get her off my back.  A few seconds later she is trying to hand it back, using it to smack me on the butt to try to get my attention! Asharah's comment: And where the heck were her parents?

I am now expecting my first child.  I’ve learned all too well that not every event is for children, and that if they do attend they are to understand that not everything is about them!  I’m already scoping out babysitters…

WeddingRugrats0919-05

Asharah's comment: Priscilla may have been a brat, but I place the majority of blame on her parents for not getting her under control.
Asharah

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
Re: Wedding Rugrats: Some Children Should Be Left Home!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 02:06:37 AM »
I totally blame the parents for this one.  Why oh why, didn't Priscillas parents get her off that dance floor and away from the bride?!

Erich L-ster

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 02:26:16 AM »
they may be of the type that think their kid's horrible behavior is precious.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 09:32:17 AM »
I've been to plenty of weddings with kids and never seen that kind of behavior so I think it is the parenting in large part as opposed to the nature of the event.

Ms_Shell

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 09:56:59 AM »
Wow.  I know that some kids naturally love the spotlight and all, but there's a time and a place.  The parents should have nipped that in the bud, by holding her hand the entire night if necessary. 
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

threepenny

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 01:14:53 PM »
Well - definitely bad parenting BUT I do not give the bride a pass, as she allowed Pricillia into the room where the wedding party was preparing, allowed her to participate in photos, etc.  In short, while Priscilla was a total brat, the bride could also have taken steps to nip it in the bud -- such as removing the child's hand from the crook of her arm and not encouraging her by giving her the bouquet.

HonorH

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 03:09:15 PM »
That sounds about like my niece--my three-year-old niece, that is. I'd expect a seven-year-old to know better.
William wondered why he always disliked people who said "no offense meant." Maybe it was because they found it easier to say "no offense meant" than actually to refrain from giving offense.

--Terry Pratchett, The Truth

Jess13

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 08:24:46 PM »
Sounds like the sucky parents who attended my friend's wedding, and when trying to get pictures of them cutting the cake, had to duck around the little girl who kept shoving her face at the cake table. Seriously!

Corbin

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 10:00:18 AM »
If Pricillas mom is a close enough friend to be in my wedding, then she is a close enough friend for me to say "You know, she doesn't seem to be having any fun, and there is a lot going on here, so you need to find someone to keep an eye on her." 

But then again Corbin is not known for keeping her mouth shut... :P
"If someone else posted this, I would be convinced they were making it up..."

Larrabee

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 10:34:47 AM »
  Eventually Patty took her into the hall and spanked her. Asharah's comment: That was probably the one thing her parents did right that day!

I can't agree with the comment in red.

If Patty had dealt with the situation properly from the start, as in, from the day she found out she was going to be a bridesmaid, it would never have come to this. 

Hitting your child because they are behaving in a way you have allowed and even encouraged is so wrong.  Prevention is better than punishment.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 01:09:45 PM »
  Eventually Patty took her into the hall and spanked her. Asharah's comment: That was probably the one thing her parents did right that day!

I can't agree with the comment in red.

If Patty had dealt with the situation properly from the start, as in, from the day she found out she was going to be a bridesmaid, it would never have come to this. 

Hitting your child because they are behaving in a way you have allowed and even encouraged is so wrong.  Prevention is better than punishment.

Have to agree with this. It's pretty much punishing a child for showing behavior they've clearly been allowed to exhibit up till that point and would confuse them.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

leafeater

• Cool Stuff Onlie
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 04:43:19 PM »
Well - definitely bad parenting BUT I do not give the bride a pass, as she allowed Pricillia into the room where the wedding party was preparing, allowed her to participate in photos, etc.  In short, while Priscilla was a total brat, the bride could also have taken steps to nip it in the bud -- such as removing the child's hand from the crook of her arm and not encouraging her by giving her the bouquet.

I see your point, but on the other hand, it's not really the bride's responsibility to parent this kid on her wedding day.