News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 14, 2017, 02:19:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Upset and treated like I don't exist.  (Read 4183 times)

CosmicChicken42

Upset and treated like I don't exist.
« on: April 07, 2011, 12:44:28 PM »
So my wonderful boyfriend's birthday is on Tuesday.  We moved in with each other less than a month ago after dating for 5 years.  He really wants to a watch so I went to one of his favorite online sites with SemiExpensiveWatchCompany(SEWC). Now the watch I purchased is unique and at the top of my price range ($80ish).  When I was placing my credit card information and finalizing the order it denied my order because my new address does not match my new zip code.  Now I thought it may have something to do with the fact I just changed my address with my bank less than a week ago, but there may be another issue.  I live on L Street zip code 12345 while there is another L Street in the city I live by with zip code 12344.  This may be the reason I was denied.  At this point though, I am not too upset.  I figured I would reorder when I got home and send it to my work instead. 

When I got home I noticed that the amount was taken out of my bank account.  Yes! So they have ordered the watch.  I called and e-mailed them so I could get a confirmation/tracking number of when the watch would arrive.  This was on Monday. 

So far it's been 4 days. I have called their hotline 5 times and e-mailed them 3 times saying while I still really want the watch, could I please just have confirmation?  No response.  By Wednesday is looks like they have stolen my money and have no intention of actually sending the watch.  Finally, this afternoon the money was refunded.  However, since they took the money out for 4 days I did not have enough funds to buy him something else. 

My question is I really want to write a letter/e-mail/something(not that they have responded to my previous attempts) to this SEWC expressing my disappointment.  My boyfriend now does not get an item he really wanted for his birthday and I am stuck rushing around trying to find something else and incurring more expenses for rush delivery.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a letter? I feel so angry right now that anything I may say would not be very polite or actually achieve anything. 

CosmicChicken42

Re: Upset and treated like I don't exist.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 09:36:51 PM »
This has been read over 460 times and yet no response.  I'm assuming by this that everyone agrees that a letter would probably be useless at this point.  Is there anything that anyone can possibly suggest for me to do? I don't want to just let this company continue to cheat people without expressing my frustration. 

Kaylee

• No power in the 'verse can stop me!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 09:48:10 PM »
They didn't cheat you, or anyone else that we know of.  The money was refunded, and within a reasonable timeframe (the third working day after the mistaken transaction).  The watch company probably didn't really even have anything to do with the transaction--it was probably something that happened completely in the depths of cyberspace and between computers at your bank/credit card company and the software they use on the website.  I wouldn't have contacted just the watch company, I'd have called my credit card company and asked that the transaction be corrected.  For all you know, the watch company never even got a recorded transaction and thought you were trying to scam THEM.

There are risks to purchasing things on the internet and credit card companies make mistakes.  It would have been nice if they'd gotten back to you sooner, but if $80 is going to make the difference to you between being able to afford something or not, deal face-to-face and in cash only.

And upbraiding the board for not responding is extremely poor form, IMHO.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 10:04:19 PM »
And upbraiding the board for not responding is extremely poor form, IMHO.

I don't see where she chastised us for not responding. She did not post one mean or accusatory word.

StarFaerie

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 10:06:40 PM »
I don't think a letter will do any good. Chances are this was actually the bank's issue not the company that you were trying to buy it from. The bank probably held the funds when the transaction request went through but when it wasn't finalised due to the decline they released it back into your account.

The company should have gotten back to you though to let you know what was going on on their end. I suggest that you don't buy from them again as the risk seems too high. :)

yokozbornak

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 10:22:21 PM »
I do think that you have a legimate complaint about them not contacting you, and that is what I would focus on if I wrote a complaint letter.  Although, given their track record, a response probably won;t be forthcoming.

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 08:14:06 AM »
I'm afraid I agree with the others: this was more likely a bank/credit card mix up than the company deliberately holding onto your money for some days.  You might want to contact your bank/credit card to find out where the mix up happened to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Also, is this supposed to be in Life in General?  You may want to ask a mod to move it, if you can't move it yourself.

Okay, I just re-read the OP (I read it late last night and came back to respond).  Given that this company still hasn't replied to any of your queries, you could contact them to complain about that.  Maybe a letter would get their attention more.  Good luck! :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:17:43 AM by Beauregard »

O'Dell

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 03:53:28 PM »
I don't think complaining to the company will do much good. I think you should write a review of them on some internet site. Epinions is pretty good. Whether they are responsible for the credit card mistake or not, people deserve to know that it can be an issue and that they don't respond to customer complaints (refunding without contacting you doesn't count for much in my book). 
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 04:18:11 PM »
Contacting SEWC about the bank's automated clean up of the situation won't do any good - I spent time yesterday trying to track down what happened to something I ordered in March (clearance swimsuit from online company) because it hadn't come in.

No record of the sale in their books and I can't find the "receipt" I tried printing to my hard drive (no printer hooked up) because I was shutting down the computer to go out to eat (we were on vacation over spring break).  VorGuy has the date to check to see if any charges were made...........

But as it was from a clearance sale.........I'm going to have to go back and pick a different swimsuit.  Durn it.........
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:50:02 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

MOM21SON

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 04:49:59 PM »
It is completely normal to have your credit authorized when making a online purchase.  This is to ensure the funds are available.  Once your item ships your card is billed against that authorization number.  If it isn't billed in a number of days, normally 3 business days, that held amount is put back into your available balance by your bank.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 04:53:46 PM »
I have not seen this thread before.

But I think it's totally reasonable to write a letter to this company complaining about their customer service (or lack of it).  When the company took the money out of your account, it should have sent you the watch.

That said, I would not be surprised if you get no response.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Kaypeep

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 05:14:33 PM »
I don't think a letter will do any good. Chances are this was actually the bank's issue not the company that you were trying to buy it from. The bank probably held the funds when the transaction request went through but when it wasn't finalised due to the decline they released it back into your account.

The company should have gotten back to you though to let you know what was going on on their end. I suggest that you don't buy from them again as the risk seems too high. :)

I believe this is the case, and it's not the watch company's fault, it's the way the online merchant account process works.  I had similar cases when I worked with a web portal and while I could see the pending transaction in the merchant account, I couldn't cancel it or refund it, it had to resolve itself.  I would not send the letter, I don't think it was their fault.  I was an administrator and understood better how the process worked so I knew to look for these things but most staff don't, and if they don't see the final order they tend to simply think "we never got it." and that's probably why you got no reply.  Someone probably didn't see your order and figure you were mistaken or trying to scam them, or whatever. (If they even checked.)  It just doesn't seem worth the trouble IMO.

sparksals

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 10:59:28 PM »
I didn't see the thread either.  Many of us read the board at different times, step away for a reason, come back, update new unread threads and many are missed. 

Since you commented that you didn't get responses in a timely manner, I feel it fair to say that your thread title didn't really match the issue.  It might have helped to get responses if you titled the thread, 'help me with a complaint letter'. 

As for the issue, I agree with the others, it sounds like they authorized your card, making the funds unavailable and when you canceled the order, it dropped off your bank charges.  This is very common.  I have pending charges all the time that drop off in a day or two.  The watch company did nothing wrong.  This is a typical process with a bank card.

RuthieCohen

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 12:58:39 PM »
Okay, I'll say it:  If you've received no posts to your thread, it means one of two things, (1) no one is interested enough to respond or (2) has information that would be helpful. 

Like others before me have stated, this is normal procedure for online shopping.  This is a situation that is best to let go.  It's like a fart in the wind - it's over.