News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 18, 2017, 01:15:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bodily Noises in the Work Space  (Read 2160 times)

SPuck

Bodily Noises in the Work Space
« on: April 13, 2011, 11:59:01 AM »
So the last couple of days at work I've been letting out the unexpected occasional burp. Normally I would try to hold them in but they have been erupting without notice. Since they happen when no one has been around I have not ben saying excuse me.

I know its the polite thing to do, but I feel like saying that will bring more attention to myself. The burps have happened as I sat at my desk, when I'm not talking with anyone.

Any suggestions?

Petticoats

Re: Bodily Noises in the Work Space
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 12:18:32 PM »
If you're alone and not talking to anyone, I see no reason for you to say "excuse me."

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 12:23:59 PM »
If you say "excuse me," who are you actually saying it to?  If you are all by yourself, then no one.  So, not necessary.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

SPuck

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 01:42:29 PM »
Even though I am in a cubicle setting where people can hear me?

high dudgeon

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 01:52:47 PM »
If other people are around you and can hear you, but aren't right next to you inside your cubicle, then I think you would still need to say "excuse me" every time. If the noises were happening quietly and people outside your cubicle could not hear them, you don't need to say anything. If you were working late and were the only person in the office, then I don't think it would be necessary to say anything.

I think it's one of those "if a tree falls in the woods" situations. If there's no one around, or no one close enough to hear, then for etiquette purposes, it didn't happen. If people are around and can hear, or you aren't sure, you should excuse yourself.

kingsrings

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 04:03:10 PM »
I must have a ten-year old boy inside of me. I thought this was the OTHER bodily noise, ha ha ha  ;)

If no one is immediately around you, such as in your cubicle, I don't think you need to say excuse me. I think it's only when you do it close in the vicinity of others that you need to excuse yourself. Unless you let out one of those huge, longshoreman-type burps that can  be heard alllll over.....

Klein Bottle

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 04:44:07 PM »
I must have a ten-year old boy inside of me. I thought this was the OTHER bodily noise, ha ha ha  ;)

If no one is immediately around you, such as in your cubicle, I don't think you need to say excuse me. I think it's only when you do it close in the vicinity of others that you need to excuse yourself. Unless you let out one of those huge, longshoreman-type burps that can  be heard alllll over.....

Then your inner ten-year-old boy and mine will have to get together to hang out & raise some kind of ruckus, because that was the thought that leapt immediately into my mind, as well.    ;)
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

duhrich

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 07:04:29 PM »
Unless you are actually talking to someone when it happens.....If I remember correctly, good etiquette would be for me to pretend not to notice noises like those.  If you say "excuse me", that would be difficult.   ;D

SPuck

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 03:59:11 PM »
Unless you are actually talking to someone when it happens.....If I remember correctly, good etiquette would be for me to pretend not to notice noises like those.  If you say "excuse me", that would be difficult.   ;D

Thats what I was thinking.

I also titled the thread "bodily noises" in canse anyone else wanted to share.

amanda_tlg

• Keeper of the Cheerios
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 04:20:04 PM »
I don't think it's necessary but I have been overly conditioned. I say "excuse me" when I burp even if I'm alone in the house. I also say "Bless you" when anyone or anything sneezes....like dogs. For me its knee-jerk. But if you aren't belching in someone's face and don't want to draw attention to it...I think you're fine.

mlkind1789

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 08:37:27 AM »

Thats what I was thinking.

I also titled the thread "bodily noises" in canse anyone else wanted to share.

I was also thinking something else, so add me to the list of 10-year old boys here.  Of course, all 3 of my girls must be the same way, because we all laugh at the same goofy things.  The weird thing is, the only male in the house, my husband, thinks we're nuts.  lol

I know myself, and I would just automatically say "excuse me", but that's just me.  I say that when I bump into a chair.   ;D

OK, I'll share, nothing about work, but just an example of what I was just saying.  When I was in labor with our youngest dd, I kept burping.  Not constantly, but every few minutes.  I don't know why, it didn't happen with either of the oldest two, but for some reason it did this time.  My mother and my midwife were laughing at me because every time I did, I would automatically say "Excuse me".  My midwife looked at me after about the third time and said "M, it's ok if you don't say that right now.  You're kind of busy with other things and it's ok."  So, even in the middle of having a child, I still say excuse me. 

Amazingly enough, my last place of work I was the only girl and all of the guys I worked with were all very conscious of being respectful and not being a bunch of gross boys.   :D  It was nice.  I don't know if they reverted back when I was off, but when I was around they were all pretty good about it.