News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 04:45:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Asking an employee to do personal work, Update pg 3  (Read 4791 times)

LadyClaire

Re: Asking an employee to do personal work
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 07:50:25 AM »
Just for the other perspective, I once had a job where I was asked to do personal things for the CEO during the day (going to his house to walk his dogs, things like that). I never said it was a problem, but I quit that job very happily and never looked back. I thought it was amazingly inappropriate and was furious most of the time, even though these requests happened during the work day, so I was being paid my normal salary. I felt like that CEO completely abused his position and tried to make me into a personal assistant.

Just wanted to pass along another opinion....

I had a similar job for a while. I also hated it and felt very uncomfortable with it..especially when CEO reamed me out because I couldn't get a new power cord for his laptop because he wanted me to get it from IT and they said "no way", as it wasn't a company laptop but CEO's personal one.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 08:21:45 AM »
I think if it isn't a government job, and the bosses asking Tom to do the work actually own the business (in other words, nobody is being taken advantage of by having their profits/money go towards the work at your house instead of the business except the bosses, whose idea it was), then it's not a moral issue.  Assuming, of course, that Tom is okay with it.  If this isn't so different from his regular work, he may actually enjoy the change of venue for the day.  So I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

Peggy Gus

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 08:50:42 AM »
My Boss is also the owner of the company, there are times when employees have done personal tasks for him during working hours. The difference is that he actually is the person who signs my check opposed to say a CEO who may run the company, but isn't the owner.

O'Dell

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 08:53:12 AM »
I would feel a little weird about this too. I think it's better to keep work life and personal life as separate as possible. The arrangement your boss is suggesting mixes work and personal up a lot. I can see all sorts of messy scenarios resulting. If boss is such a great employer, I'd talk to him about it. Let him know that I'm uncomfortable with it and take it from there.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

jibby

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 08:59:26 AM »
I think if it isn't a government job, and the bosses asking Tom to do the work actually own the business (in other words, nobody is being taken advantage of by having their profits/money go towards the work at your house instead of the business except the bosses, whose idea it was), then it's not a moral issue.  Assuming, of course, that Tom is okay with it.  If this isn't so different from his regular work, he may actually enjoy the change of venue for the day.  So I wouldn't have a problem with it.
This was my thought, too.  It sounds as though there are no stockholders/government involvement; jus the married couple.  And with shatzie's additional info along the way, I agree that this is fine, as long as Tom agrees.

I used to work for attorneys who would ask me to run their personal errands (not in my job description), but they gave me gas money, or let me use their cars (which were WAY nicer than mine, lol) and they insisted that I run one or two of *my* personal errands at the time as well.  I prefer getting out and about to sitting still any day, so this was a fantastic arrangement for me.  Perhaps Tom would welcome the change of scenery as well.

DaDancingPsych

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 09:11:04 AM »
I currently work for a small business and my boss asks me to do personal things for him. While nothing has been terribly inconvenient and it has always been during the work day (so I am being paid), I don’t feel like I can decline to do the favor. I feel like saying no would cause bigger problems and hopefully if I am kind to my boss, then he will be kind to me when it comes to my requests (usually time off or needing to come in late). So, I do agree that you should take Tom aside and ensure that he is truly comfortable with this. You may be his only “out”, as you can express to boss, “You know, we have several friends coming by to help and I fear that we have too many people helping. Tom should do his normal work.”

That said, I do enjoy a change of pace sometimes. When I do favors for my boss, it is often nice to do something different than sit at a computer (and read e-Hell) all day. My favorite favor was putting together donor signs for the parent group at his son’s school. Yes, you may pay me to play with scissors and glue! So, it is very possible that Tom is looking forward to assisting, too!

Dorrie78

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 09:34:19 AM »
I'm not sure where government jobs, boards and stockholders came into the discussion, but please consider that Tom is probably in a position where he won't feel comfortable saying no. His boss is asking him to do some work that is not in his job description and that isn't in support of the business' core mission. Just because he can do it during work hours and will still be paid and will be offered pizza still doesn't make this right. I know there are some places of work that this may be perfectly fine and maybe the OP's place is like that. But this isn't asking a friend over to help with a project. This is asking a subordinate in the office to do personal work at someone's house.

In my previously mentioned experience, I was pretty sure that if I refused to do this extra personal work, I would have been fired on the spot. There is no way that I would have said no, even if someone had given me an "out" and told me I didn't have to do it. The fact that the CEO asked me to do it was ultimately what made me do it.

The703

• Formerly ND Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 09:56:50 AM »
The only thing that might be problematic is if he were to get hurt. He's working a normal work day, but at your house.

magicdomino

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 10:10:47 AM »
Are things slow at the shop?  Is Tom an hourly employee?  If there isn't much work at the moment, the business owners may figure paying Tom to help with the wall is better than paying Tom to do very little, or not paying Tom at all.  Tom may well agree with that last point.

On the whole, it is between Tom and the business owners.  As long as both sides are fine with it, it's okay.

sparksals

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 10:13:57 AM »
The only thing that might be problematic is if he were to get hurt. He's working a normal work day, but at your house.

I was about to post this myself.  It could get into a huge mess if he is injured on your property.  Since this is personal, he probably wouldn't be covered for WC if he gets hurt.  I think you need to seriously think about this and decline his help.  It could cost you more than you realize.

amylouky

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 12:03:07 PM »
I would feel weird about this, too, for many reasons. As pp's have pointed out, Tom would most likely feel uncomfortable saying no to the owners, even if he didn't really want to. Plus there are issues if he is doing this as part of his job and got hurt.
Also, is his salary at current job comparable or more to what someone would earn doing this kind of work? I would definitely not be okay with him doing construction work that would normally make, say, $30 an hour, if his salary at your company is only $15.
I think if he freely volunteered to help, that's one thing.. but it doesn't sound like he did, since the owners decided that he should help, and are paying him for it.

Ceiling Fan

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 12:07:23 PM »
Just for the other perspective, I once had a job where I was asked to do personal things for the CEO during the day (going to his house to walk his dogs, things like that). I never said it was a problem, but I quit that job very happily and never looked back. I thought it was amazingly inappropriate and was furious most of the time, even though these requests happened during the work day, so I was being paid my normal salary. I felt like that CEO completely abused his position and tried to make me into a personal assistant.

Just wanted to pass along another opinion....

I guess I'm weird, I always loved it when asked to run an errand for a boss. Get out of the office or shop for an hour and still get paid? Sounds good to me :D

jibby

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 01:33:59 PM »
I guess I'm weird, I always loved it when asked to run an errand for a boss. Get out of the office or shop for an hour and still get paid? Sounds good to me :D
I'm with you.  Let's pick up dry cleaning and stop off for ice cream!  :P ;D

Sharnita

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 01:37:39 PM »
Dorrie, I agree completely.

Virg

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2011, 04:09:18 PM »
The injury issue is the big point for me.  But given that the boss is the owner, and assuming that you can be sure Tom is happy to do it rather than being pushed into it, it's my only sticking point.  Consult legal help about the ramifications and get signatures to protect yourself.

Virg