News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 18, 2017, 01:15:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Asking an employee to do personal work, Update pg 3  (Read 4816 times)

humbleonion

Re: Asking an employee to do personal work
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2011, 09:22:48 PM »
Shatzie, you've mentioned on numerous occasions that your boss takes a lot of liberties with your personal boundaries. This, to me, would be way out of bounds. Why is she offering to pay someone to work on your house? Do you feel comfortable saying no to her? This situation seems really inappropriate to me.

CakeBeret

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2011, 09:26:33 PM »
Shatzie, you've mentioned on numerous occasions that your boss takes a lot of liberties with your personal boundaries. This, to me, would be way out of bounds. Why is she offering to pay someone to work on your house? Do you feel comfortable saying no to her? This situation seems really inappropriate to me.

For one thing, she is a close family friend and we've done favors for each other in the past. For another thing she practices a religion that promotes doing what you can to help others. She sees her business as an extension of this and so offering her employee to help with our wall is her way of doing a good deed.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

fffirefly

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2011, 09:40:05 PM »

For one thing, she is a close family friend and we've done favors for each other in the past. For another thing she practices a religion that promotes doing what you can to help others. She sees her business as an extension of this and so offering her employee to help with our wall is her way of doing a good deed.

I guess that's what seems off to me - "offering her employee to help with our wall is her way of doing a good deed". It's one thing to volunteer yourself, its another thing to volunteer someone else. If its the same type of work and she is just comping the work to you, I would be fine with it, but since it's not then I don't think it's appropriate. Just because someone is the boss doesn't mean they have free reign over what telling someone what to do under the guise that they are paying them.  Whether he's being paid or not, she is volunteering him to do something. I personally would not accept it.

CakeBeret

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2011, 09:49:17 PM »

I guess that's what seems off to me - "offering her employee to help with our wall is her way of doing a good deed". It's one thing to volunteer yourself, its another thing to volunteer someone else. If its the same type of work and she is just comping the work to you, I would be fine with it, but since it's not then I don't think it's appropriate. Just because someone is the boss doesn't mean they have free reign over what telling someone what to do under the guise that they are paying them.  Whether he's being paid or not, she is volunteering him to do something. I personally would not accept it.

That's why it felt off to me too. I don't know what to do now...I may just tell Boss that we have enough people without Tom. I don't know.

Peggy Gus

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2011, 10:12:09 PM »
The only thing that might be problematic is if he were to get hurt. He's working a normal work day, but at your house.

I was about to post this myself.  It could get into a huge mess if he is injured on your property.  Since this is personal, he probably wouldn't be covered for WC if he gets hurt.  I think you need to seriously think about this and decline his help.  It could cost you more than you realize.

If he is "on the clock" then WC would cover him, he would be working off site but under his employer. We have dealt with something similar at my work.

sparksals

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2011, 10:32:55 PM »

How is it a good deed if she is offering someone who may feel coerced into doing it?   She may be doing you a favour, but offering someone else without knowing it is ok with them isn't a good deed in my book.  It is putting the employee in an awkward position. 

Sharnita

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2011, 05:23:15 AM »

it feels a bit too  "indentured servant" to me

CakeBeret

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2011, 11:03:56 PM »
Update!

Things have been very busy at work, so (thankfully) Tom was quite busy. The Bosses had offered the use of their mini excavator to help with the digging, and so Mrs. Boss sent Tom to run the mini ex for a couple hours. Running the mini ex is well within Tom's job description, which made me feel more comfortable with the situation. Then things got busy and she called Tom back to work, and that was the last we saw of him.

Our wall is nearly done, thank goodness!

barefoot_girl

Re: Asking an employee to do personal work, Update pg 3
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2011, 05:36:08 AM »
About twelve years ago, i was working in international planning for a major telecoms company in central London. i spent a lot of time cross-checking international call rates, negotiating least cost routing, etc. It was a very interesting, and technical role. Once, i was chatting with my manager and mentioned that my first job out of uni had been as a theatrical costumier...so I could sew. Four months later, she asked me (very nicely) if i wouldn't mind passing my work off to a colleague as she wanted me to sew her son's Nativity costume for his school play! It was a very very easy costume, so I was quite happy to dump my work and spend the morning happily sewing!