Author Topic: BBC News guide to etiquette for the royal wedding (and other state occasions)  (Read 2455 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
I saw this and thought EHellions might find it interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12884592

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
And this word of warning from Debretts: "It is notoriously difficult to socially kiss while wearing a wide-brimmed hat. There is a knack to tilting the head at a suitable angle, but two ladies both in wide-brimmed hats should avoid such an 'intimate' greeting."

I am now picturing flying hats all around Westminister Abbey.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

kareng57

• Super Hero!
Interesting regarding the wedding of the Earl and Countess of Wessex -

I'd thought that the reason that ladies' hats were discouraged was because it was an evening, rather than daytime, wedding.  Therefore long gowns were appropriate, when they wouldn't have been earlier in the day.  Am I off-base or can someone clarify for me?

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
Interesting article.

You might be on to something about the hats Kareng. The article says: "Hats are not compulsory - in fact at the wedding of Prince Edward to Sophie Rhys-Jones the wearing of hats was discouraged."
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
Interesting regarding the wedding of the Earl and Countess of Wessex -

I'd thought that the reason that ladies' hats were discouraged was because it was an evening, rather than daytime, wedding.  Therefore long gowns were appropriate, when they wouldn't have been earlier in the day.  Am I off-base or can someone clarify for me?

That sounds about right - that's why there's so many more hats at this one, it's being held at 11AM so as a 'daytime formal' thing, hats are the go.
Besides, Elizabeth's yellow number is awesome!
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

goldilocks

Okay, I thought one of the "rules" was to dress in a manner that didn't call attention to you.  One of the princesses (Eugenie, Beatrice, not sure which) sure blew that rule with that horrible hat she was wearing.    Really, is a royal wedding the right venue to show your "daring sense of style?" (to put it nicely).

Sara Crewe (previously Tia2)

Okay, I thought one of the "rules" was to dress in a manner that didn't call attention to you.  One of the princesses (Eugenie, Beatrice, not sure which) sure blew that rule with that horrible hat she was wearing.    Really, is a royal wedding the right venue to show your "daring sense of style?" (to put it nicely).

On the other hand, some of the gossip websites are already mentioning that the Duchess of Cornwall's outfit was bland, with the implication being that she should have made more of an effort (I personally think her outfit was very appropriate).

Providing the dress code is complied with, I don't necessarily think wearing ugly clothing is inappropriate (and I'm sure she didn't think it was ugly at the time - it's just in retrospect that she might realise she's made a mistake).

MissRose

It looks like the English take dressing up more seriously for special occasions compared to Americans.  At least that's what I've noticed over the years by reading online sites and seeing movies that are English in theme.

Even many of my female friends who are ordinary every day people that live in England say things about needing a hat for a wedding. 

I do not mind dressing up once in a while for special occasions and holidays.  I've just never been asked to wear a hat for a special occasion, but I am sure I would pick one that was subtle and tasteful if I was ever invited to a wedding in England.  Not sure if other European nationalities ask people to wear hats, but some churches may require head coverings, and I would certain make sure I was following that requirement.

Nibsey

Not sure if other European nationalities ask people to wear hats, but some churches may require head coverings, and I would certain make sure I was following that requirement.

Well we wear hats for weddings here in Ireland but I think they're less common than in England. I know my MIL complained that she wasn't able to take her hat off for her son's wedding because the MOB left hers on for the entire time, though.  ::)
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

Morty'sCleaningLady

On the other hand, some of the gossip websites are already mentioning that the Duchess of Cornwall's outfit was bland, with the implication being that she should have made more of an effort (I personally think her outfit was very appropriate).
Personally, I thought Princess Eugenie looked like she strapped deer antlers to her head!

Camilla's outfit was the only one I disliked.  It was incredibly bland.  Isn't there a saying that the mother (or step-mother) of the groom should 'wear beige and be quiet'?  Camilla definitely adhered to that!
Formerly Mrs.Bart

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Camilla wore pink and blue. I am not a fan of hers but I thought her outfit was nice.

Barney girl

Personally, I thought Princess Eugenie looked like she strapped deer antlers to her head!

Camilla's outfit was the only one I disliked.  It was incredibly bland.  Isn't there a saying that the mother (or step-mother) of the groom should 'wear beige and be quiet'?  Camilla definitely adhered to that!

It's all in the eye of the beholder isn't it?

I thought the Duchess of Cornwall's outfit was very elegant. I see my newspaper (which generally makes a thing about not being interested in the Royal Family, but did cover the wedding) described it as "one of the day's best outfits".

I couldn't stand Princesses Eugenie's and Beatrice's outfits, but the commentator on BBC1 liked them.

I think Philippa Middleton should be contgratulated for carrying that train up and down steps while wearing a long skirt herself. I bet that took a lot of practising. I know I'd have tripped if I'd tried  ;D

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
The answer is "Yes, absolutely!"

Royal weddings have become a showcase for British designers to show their clothes. It is a really big thing for them, and the Royal Family are very much involved in it. They are expected to be dressed at the cutting edge of fashion.

One of my friends adored her outfit, another friend and I hated it. Personally, I think she looked ridiculous. But it certainly wasn't a faux pas, and although a visit from the fashion police might be in order, I think that the clue by four squad can stand down!
NE England

Sara Crewe (previously Tia2)

The one person I did notice particularly was Samantha Cameron (wife of the Prime Minister).  Despite the fact that the dress code said hats for women, she decided not to wear one.  Now that I do think is rude - if you don't want to comply with the rules laid down by the HC, you decline the invitation, you don't wear what you feel like, particularly when there in an official capacity!