Author Topic: The "Send M. Night Shyamalan back to film school" fundraiser  (Read 9133 times)

Ms_Shell

The "Send M. Night Shyamalan back to film school" fundraiser
« on: April 14, 2011, 10:56:58 AM »
According to the AV Club website, three former M. Night Shyamalan (The Sixth Sense, Lady in the Water) fans are launching a fundraiser to send M. Night back to film school with the proceeds.  Although they're actually going to host a film festival and give the proceeds to the winner, since he most likely won't accept the money from them anyway. 

It's when I hear stories like this that I'm really glad I'm not famous!  I couldn't imagine being called out like that so publicly.  How would you all react if you were this guy? 
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: The "Send M. Night Shyamalan back to film school" fundraiser
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 10:58:33 AM »
I'd give them a budget to make a movie, mathc their budget to make one of my own and let the worl decidde who needed film school when the movies were compared.

Ms_Shell

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 11:01:49 AM »
I'd give them a budget to make a movie, mathc their budget to make one of my own and let the worl decidde who needed film school when the movies were compared.

Brilliant. >:D
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

Larrabee

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 11:03:31 AM »
How would you all react if you were this guy? 

I'd ignore them and order another bottle of ridiculously expensive champagne with the 10 million dollars I earned from 'The Village'.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 11:04:23 AM »
I really don't think that is that bad compared to what people have been saying about his movies for years now.  If he could shrug off the reviews to "The Last Airbender," this won't bother him at all.

Ms_Shell

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 11:09:20 AM »
I really don't think that is that bad compared to what people have been saying about his movies for years now.  If he could shrug off the reviews to "The Last Airbender," this won't bother him at all.

Maybe not, but at the same time no one's raising money to send Uwe Boll or Michael Bay back to film school, and lots of people hate their films as well.  The whole idea strikes me as being terribly rude. 

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 11:12:59 AM »
I have to admit, I laughed. Of course it's not polite, but man, his movies have really sucked lately. His name used to bring people in to his movies, and now it's a repellent of sorts. It's too bad.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 11:17:10 AM »

Maybe not, but at the same time no one's raising money to send Uwe Boll or Michael Bay back to film school, and lots of people hate their films as well.  The whole idea strikes me as being terribly rude. 

Maybe because no one has thought of it yet.  ;) Or maybe they don't think it would help.  You could argue that Bay/Boll's films were never that good.  Shyamalan is interesting because he has produced some masterpieces, but then the quality of his films went way down.

Of course the whole idea is rude, but I doubt it will keep him up at night.

The Opinionator

• You keep using that word.
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 11:26:39 AM »
I think it's a really good way of garnering more attention for their film festival, since I don't really believe anyone actually thinks he's going to accept the money. Plus, it's funny (IMO, of course). Rude? Meh. It's not the worst publicity stunt I've seen so sort of, but not too much so.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 12:04:10 PM »
How would you all react if you were this guy? 

I'd ignore them and order another bottle of ridiculously expensive champagne with the 10 million dollars I earned from 'The Village'.

Cheers to that.

I'll admit that after The Village his movies have just been... well... not good... But he's still getting paid millions to make them, and, he doesn't really seem to care what people think so there ya have it. I doubt this is even on his radar.

PeterM

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 01:20:07 PM »

I'd change that to "If he can show his face in public after 'The Last Airbender,' this won't bother him at all." Lordy, that was a stinker.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 04:16:08 PM »
Were we the only people who liked "The Last Airbender"? LOL

DH and I thought, as "live-action movies you can enjoy with your kids" go, it was pretty good! My kids downright loved it.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 07:16:19 PM »
I believe I may be the only one who liked 'Lady in the Water'  ;)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 07:18:03 PM »
I really enjoyed Signs

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 07:26:38 PM »

Maybe because no one has thought of it yet.  ;) Or maybe they don't think it would help.

I am fairly certain that you could not separate Michael Bay and his explosions with a giant crowbar wielded by the entire Marine Corps.
Words mean things.