Author Topic: Mistaken identity? ???  (Read 5069 times)

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
Mistaken identity? ???
« on: April 18, 2011, 02:49:39 PM »
BG:  I have an ex-BIL who is an ex for good reason.  He's an abrasive jerk.  We never spent any more time around him than was necessary, and after my sister left him, he really hasn't crossed our minds for any reason.  

So this morning, Lapis was gassing up the van after getting off work when he noticed a vehicle start to pull away, then reverse back to the pumps.  The door opened and "Bert" boils out.  He storms up to Lapis and says, "I've been meaning to talk to you for 3 or 4 years now."  

Lapis just looked at him, and "Bert" went on to say, "You said in front of Joe Blow and Bill Schmill (names Lapis did not recognize) that you were going to make me *something extremely vulgar and insulting*.  You wanna try that now?"

Lapis said, calmly, "I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about."  

Bert snapped, "I had a feeling you were going to lie about it," and then he beat it back to his vehicle, hopped in and took off.

???

???  ???  ???

Honestly, how completely random.  I have no idea if he mistook Lapis for someone else, or someone told this on Lapis and Bert believed it, or what, but who stews on some OTT bit of hearsay for years before confronting the person in a parking lot?

(BTW, I'm pretty certain Lapis didn't say anything of the sort.  He doesn't know the men mentioned, Bert literally never crosses his mind, and the particular quote attributed to him is not one he's ever used, ever.  He's no verbal angel, but that one is just not his style.)

I don't expect it to come up again - Bert's the type to blow up once and then forget about it - but how does one handle this kind of random ambush of the crazy?  I'd wonder what Bert hoped to accomplish by it, but then I doubt he thinks that far ahead.   ::)

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

ddawn23

Re: Mistaken identity? ???
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 03:19:19 PM »
I'm really not following you.  I'm assuming Lapis is your son.  Is Bert the former brother-in-law?  Did Bert and Lapis know each other?  And if so, how is that a case of mistaken identity?  I would chalk it up to mistaken identity if a complete stranger yelled at me at a gas station, but not if it was someone I knew (and didn't like).

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 03:23:42 PM »
I think Lapis did the right thing. Complete silence is always appropriate, I am just really glad that this looney tune didn't try to take a swing at Lapis.
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

Bellantara

• Normal is a setting on the washing machine.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
I'm really not following you.  I'm assuming Lapis is your son.  Is Bert the former brother-in-law?  Did Bert and Lapis know each other?  And if so, how is that a case of mistaken identity?  I would chalk it up to mistaken identity if a complete stranger yelled at me at a gas station, but not if it was someone I knew (and didn't like).

Lapis is Aventurine's DH. :)

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 03:25:27 PM »
Lapis is my husband, and Bert is my sister's former husband.

We barely know Bert (in fact, Lapis didn't recognize him at first - he was pretty isolative while he and my sister were married; one of the reasons we don't like him), and haven't seen him personally in years.  It's entirely possible that, given that Lapis has no idea what Bert was on about, that Bert heard that someone was talking about him and decided it was Lapis.  According to my sister, it's kind of what he does.  

To be honest, none of it makes a whole lot of sense.  I thought I'd run it by eHell and see what y'all make of it.  

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 03:27:39 PM »
I think Lapis did the right thing. Complete silence is always appropriate, I am just really glad that this looney tune didn't try to take a swing at Lapis.

Me too!  That's why I was wondering what Bert expected out of the exchange.  The man's in his 50s; you'd think he'd know better than to try to pick a fight in public. 

The first thing I asked Lapis was, "was he high?"  (jokingly - Bert's many things but not a dopehead)

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 03:31:25 PM »

Me too!  That's why I was wondering what Bert expected out of the exchange.  The man's in his 50s; you'd think he'd know better than to try to pick a fight in public. 

The first thing I asked Lapis was, "was he high?"  (jokingly - Bert's many things but not a dopehead)

Since we could be here all year speculating about what's going on in his mind (or lack thereof), I'll just send a hug for you to pass on to Lapis.  ;)
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 08:06:51 PM »
I think your husband handled the situation quite well aventurine. I also agree with you I think Bert probably heard the insult through some rumor and just made up his mind it was your husband who said it. But you do have to wonder what Bert hoped to accomplish. You should be very thankful he didn't get violent.

Ed.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 08:11:26 PM »
I think Lapis handled it the best way possible-by not engaging the crazy.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 12:33:34 AM »
Thanks, y'all.  Yes, I'm very glad it didn't escalate. 

According to my sister, it's a virtual certainty that it's all out of Bert's system now and there'll be no more of it.  I'm ... glad he's ... satisfied?  I guess?   :P