Author Topic: Posting for Updates  (Read 14714 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Posting for Updates
« on: April 20, 2011, 08:48:40 AM »
I really like how I can click "show new replies to your posts" and get a list of threads I'm interested in (that I've posted in, which have new messages) all on one page. But, sometimes I read a thread and I'm interested in following it further, but I don't feel like I have anything to contribute to it myself. Is there a way to track the threads easily without posting in them?

If not, how do people feel about "posting for updates" posts? I know I've used this phrase in posts a few times myself, but I always go on to say something else that I try to make relevant and helpful. But, sometimes it's hard to think of anything that I feel would really add to the discussion.
~Lynn2000

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Posting for Updates
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
You can click 'notify' on a thread, which sends you an e-mail when there are new posts.  I don't use that function because I'm not often at my own computer when I'm cruising e-hell.

I've done the 'posting for updates' thing, as well and, like you, try to make some sort of relevent comment.

It doesn't really bother me to just see 'posting for updates'.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 09:51:55 AM »
You can click 'notify' on a thread, which sends you an e-mail when there are new posts.  I don't use that function because I'm not often at my own computer when I'm cruising e-hell.

I've done the 'posting for updates' thing, as well and, like you, try to make some sort of relevent comment.

It doesn't really bother me to just see 'posting for updates'.

Crud Monkeys. Never thought to click that button.

I'll go back to my corner now.
~Lynn2000

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 09:53:24 AM »
I'm fine with "posting for updates" posts - this is a message board, after all.  I dont track threads by email - that would be annoying and counterproductive for me, I use the "new replies" section most often, so if I'm really interested in how it turns out, I post for updates! It htink it's completely reasonable to use the board in this way. 

I think it can come across as insensitive in the "I need a hug" type folders though, so if I want updates there, I make sure to post a simple message rather than that phrase.
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 09:54:32 AM »
The little NEW button next to any thread title will take you to the post you last read in that thread, even if you didn't post in it.
Words mean things.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 10:23:14 AM »
I'm really not a huge fan of posting for updates, it just doesn't seem to fit right here at ehell, in my opinion.  Posting for updates and making an attempt to add something to the conversation, even if it's just "Mostly just posting for updates.  Good luck with your MIL, OP!" or something simple doesn't bother me so much, and I know I've done it a few times.  It acknowledges that the OP exists and is possibly trying to solve a problem, whereas just "posting for updates" seems, to me, to be dismissing the OP in a way.  When I'm just posting for updates, I try to disguise it :)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 10:40:41 AM »
The little NEW button next to any thread title will take you to the post you last read in that thread, even if you didn't post in it.

Yes, this.  You don't have to "post for updates" in any thread.  All you have to do is click on that "new" button.  It works whether you've posted in the thread or not.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 10:41:57 AM »

Juana, I love you. I had no idea! What a great feature!
The status is not quo!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 10:43:27 AM »
I post for updates because it's easier to find the thread in the 'Show new replies to your posts'.  I'll have, at most, 2 pages in there.  But if I hit 'Show unread posts since last visit', there could be 10 or more.  And I rarely remember what category a thread is posted in to find it that way.

But I use the 'new' button on those to take me to the last post I read.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 10:53:05 AM »
I'm really not a huge fan of posting for updates, it just doesn't seem to fit right here at ehell, in my opinion.  Posting for updates and making an attempt to add something to the conversation, even if it's just "Mostly just posting for updates.  Good luck with your MIL, OP!" or something simple doesn't bother me so much, and I know I've done it a few times.  It acknowledges that the OP exists and is possibly trying to solve a problem, whereas just "posting for updates" seems, to me, to be dismissing the OP in a way.  When I'm just posting for updates, I try to disguise it :)

This.  I hate the posts where all it says is "Posting for updates" (especially with all the features that we have that make it unnecessary - like the NEW button).

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:25:17 AM by DottyG »

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 10:57:43 AM »

Juana, I love you. I had no idea! What a great feature!

POD... I saw the "new" sign but I didn't realize it was a button.  :P
~Lynn2000

Schmoopie3928

• I eat Paste
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 11:02:26 AM »
Wow. I've been a member since 2007 and didn't know about the notify or the new button feature! I always thought Notify was to report.  :-[

evely28

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 11:24:13 AM »
Wow. I've been a member since 2007 and didn't know about the notify or the new button feature! I always thought Notify was to report.  :-[

It is a handy button. If you ever want to stop receiving notifications for that thread, hit the notify button again and you will be asked if you want to disable notification.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 11:27:38 AM »

You had me scared there for a minute that I'd given the wrong advice!  And then I saw the 'Report to moderator' button at the bottom of your post and I breathed a sigh of relief.   :D
Ontario

Ceiling Fan

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 11:27:48 AM »

Yes, this.  You don't have to "post for updates" in any thread.  All you have to do is click on that "new" button.  It works whether you've posted in the thread or not.

But only for a certain time (since 'last login', which I don't really understand how that works).

A reply (any reply) to a thread, and that thread will show up forever with each new post.