Author Topic: This forum needs a  (Read 10001 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
This forum needs a
« on: April 21, 2011, 10:28:48 AM »
pod button!

I tend to read alot of threads and don't want to make the thread longer by copying the post and podding it.  And I thought to myself today that I wish it had a pod/like button on the posts so I can do that instead.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: This forum needs a
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 12:07:45 PM »
An ignore button would be good too! 

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 02:36:27 PM »
Yup. And a "I don't want to follow this thread anymore even though I posted in it, so please stop putting it in my New Replies folder" one.  ;)

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Ms_Shell

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
What about a way to quickly find the threads that you yourself have started?  It would make it a lot easier to link to previous threads for BG information. 
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 02:39:13 PM »
Yup. And a "I don't want to follow this thread anymore even though I posted in it, so please stop putting it in my New Replies folder" one.  ;)

We have that one -off to find it

ETA: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=37332.0
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 02:42:35 PM by rashea »
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

marcel

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 02:53:59 PM »

No, that thread only tells you hot to un-notify, but notifying is a completely different thing.

I personally love the show new replies function, the only problem is that you do not want some threads in there. There are actually times that I do not post in a thread, because I fear it will become an everlasting thread, that I don't want in there.

What I, and others are looking for is a way to say about a certain thread that you do not want it in the new replies folder.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 03:00:34 PM »
I personally love the show new replies function, the only problem is that you do not want some threads in there. There are actually times that I do not post in a thread, because I fear it will become an everlasting thread, that I don't want in there.
What I, and others are looking for is a way to say about a certain thread that you do not want it in the new replies folder.

Exactly. Before I post, I think to myself, "Do I want this thread showing up in my New Replies folder for ever after?" Apparently you CAN make it go away by deleting your posts in the thread, but that is frowned upon. Also, for some posts I've felt like I have contributed something positive to the discussion - it's just that after a while the discussion has veered off the original, gone in circles, whatever. Then I'm not interested in reading it anymore and I can't.make.it.go.away. Argh.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

AngelicGamer

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 03:02:51 PM »

No, that thread only tells you hot to un-notify, but notifying is a completely different thing.

There's a notify button at the top and bottom of every thread on the right hand side.  :)

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 03:04:49 PM »
As T'Mar said, though, taking notify off a thread doesn't remove it from your new replies list if you've posted in the thread.  Short of deleting all your posts, there is no way to stop a thread you've posted in from showing up in your new replies each time there is a new post.  Unfortunately.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 03:08:06 PM »

Exactly. Before I post, I think to myself, "Do I want this thread showing up in my New Replies folder for ever after?" Apparently you CAN make it go away by deleting your posts in the thread, but that is frowned upon. Also, for some posts I've felt like I have contributed something positive to the discussion - it's just that after a while the discussion has veered off the original, gone in circles, whatever. Then I'm not interested in reading it anymore and I can't.make.it.go.away. Argh.

And, even if you do delete your post(s), if anyone has quote you, you're still stuck.  :-\

The amount I've posted has gone down quite a lot recently because I don't want to get stuck in a thread forever and ever.  I think very carefully before responding to threads now. If it seems like there's any potential for it to last a long time, become very heated (so constant new replies), or to be extra susceptible to being derailed, I won't post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

marcel

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »

There's a notify button at the top and bottom of every thread on the right hand side.  :)
We are not talking about notifications, but about the new replies folder.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 04:01:40 PM »

We are not talking about notifications, but about the new replies folder.

Oh, sorry. 

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 09:51:36 PM »
What about a way to quickly find the threads that you yourself have started?  It would make it a lot easier to link to previous threads for BG information. 

::clicks POD button::
~Lynn2000

Íkorna

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 10:03:12 PM »

::clicks POD button::

I just found myself trying to find a thread I'd started, so I have to offer a POD as well ;D

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 01:48:52 AM »
An ignore button would be good too! 

I think this one has been addressed and the answer was no.