Author Topic: This forum needs a  (Read 10051 times)

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
Re: This forum needs a
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 07:52:39 AM »
An ignore button would be good too! 

I think this one has been addressed and the answer was no.

If I recall correctly, this was because of limitations of the forum software, not the forum owner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

Nanny Ogg

• The Shrinking Lady!
    • For Your Paws
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 08:22:03 AM »
A voting system on each post - eg. "xx people found this post helpful". Would be like a POD, but without junking up the thread?

how about a user selected national flag next to people's usernames so we can tell their location? I know this is a US forum, but as the transatlantic info thread showed, there's a pretty strong international presence round these parts!

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 08:46:26 AM »
Out of curiosity, I went looking for SMF modifications, and I found one that does the user-selected flag that Nanny Ogg's post mentioned. There doesn't seem to be any mods available for adding an ignore thing, nor is there a script for adding a kudos/pod/like feature for posts that I could see. The major SMF modifications site was not letting me view it, but I found one that's useful in that it shows user-generated scripts that can be added on to the forum software.

Captains Flat, Australia

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 09:11:14 AM »

An "ignore" button is a feature of the new version of the SMF software, among many other nifty features.  However, it is on it's fifth Release Candidate version and the tech guru for Ehell, my husband, doesn't want to install a Release Candidate software version.  It is taking SMF literally YEARS now to move this newest version out of beta testing and into release candidate status with no foreseeable final release date in sight.  Talk about frustrating. 

There are possibly modification packages that can add certain features to the current software.  However, I've been very careful about what is added because not all mods are well maintained by their creators and when I occasionally update the current version of the SMF software, sometimes mod packages can fail miserably due to lack of compatibility with the newest version of forum software and there can be epic failures in forum functionality.  So updating the software to the latest version means checking every mod package you have, making sure they are compatible with the latest update and hoping that when you finish the update, that everything works. Because if it doesn't, the process to correct it is painful.  Switching to the new software would eliminate that problem with different mods but we'll have to wait until SMF can finally get it out of release candidacy. 

mkkristen

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 12:16:32 PM »
I would love a pod feature--sometime I read a thread and someone else has already said what I wanted to say and probably more eloquently too, and I don't really feel the need to post it again or say pod.

I would also love if once I read a thread, if I go back into it, it takes me to where I left off. I'm a member of other forums where when I click on thread XYZ and read through post 12 and then leave the thread, if I go back and want to read posts that were posted later, it takes me right to post 13, so I don't have to try to remember where I left off. Does that make sense? I'm not sure if I'm explaining it correctly.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 12:23:10 PM »
I would love a pod feature--sometime I read a thread and someone else has already said what I wanted to say and probably more eloquently too, and I don't really feel the need to post it again or say pod.

I would also love if once I read a thread, if I go back into it, it takes me to where I left off. I'm a member of other forums where when I click on thread XYZ and read through post 12 and then leave the thread, if I go back and want to read posts that were posted later, it takes me right to post 13, so I don't have to try to remember where I left off. Does that make sense? I'm not sure if I'm explaining it correctly.

I don't know about a POD feature, but we already have one that takes you right to where you left off in a thread.  There is a little button (I think in orange) that says 'new', just click that and it will take you to where you left off.
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

mkkristen

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 07:37:41 PM »

I don't know about a POD feature, but we already have one that takes you right to where you left off in a thread.  There is a little button (I think in orange) that says 'new', just click that and it will take you to where you left off.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 09:56:46 AM »
What about a way to quickly find the threads that you yourself have started?  It would make it a lot easier to link to previous threads for BG information. 

::clicks POD button::

I just found myself trying to find a thread I'd started, so I have to offer a POD as well ;D

If you go to your profile page and click "show posts" and then "topics" it'll give you a list of topics that you've started.

Nice! Is this new with the upgrade, or has it always been there?
~Lynn2000

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 10:11:45 AM »

how about a user selected national flag next to people's usernames so we can tell their location? I know this is a US forum, but as the transatlantic info thread showed, there's a pretty strong international presence round these parts!

I would like that, too. There's a whole bunch of people who aren't from the US, and I can remember that. What I can't remember is where outside the US they are from. Australia? The UK? France? Japan? It could even be an optional thing in your profile.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 05:06:35 PM »
A chat room!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 03:23:07 PM »
What about a "save draft" option for posts, so you can write out your reply and save it without posting, in case you want to read the rest of the thread, think it over more, get interrupted by your boss something, etc.? Or does such a thing already exist?
~Lynn2000

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 03:42:16 PM »
What about a "save draft" option for posts, so you can write out your reply and save it without posting, in case you want to read the rest of the thread, think it over more, get interrupted by your boss something, etc.? Or does such a thing already exist?

Ooh, I'd welcome that option! 

It would also give the opportunity for a "cooling off period" before posting a potentially snarky reply.  You could write out what you want to say, save it in drafts for like 10 minutes and then come back and change it to something more forum friendly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 12:55:41 AM »
What about a way to quickly find the threads that you yourself have started?  It would make it a lot easier to link to previous threads for BG information. 

::clicks POD button::

I just found myself trying to find a thread I'd started, so I have to offer a POD as well ;D
There is.  Go into your own profile and under your icon picture click on 'show posts'. In the next screen there is a bar that says 'Show posts'.  Under that are three choices, Messages, Topics, and Attachments.   Click on 'Topics'. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 01:52:34 AM »
I'd like a "Show new replies to your post" link at the bottom of the page as well as the top.

I guess I'm too lazy to want to scroll back up, which makes me pretty darn pathetic. ;)
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 02:42:05 AM »
I'd like a "Show new replies to your post" link at the bottom of the page as well as the top.

I guess I'm too lazy to want to scroll back up, which makes me pretty darn pathetic. ;)

then we can be lazy and pathetic together.  I've been wishing for that for awhile now 

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx