A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

well, THAT was the worst book ever!

(1/360) > >>

Giggity:
You know it ... is it a book your mother recommended? One you had to read in high school? One all your friends just RAVED about, even the people whose opinions you trust? One you looked forward to and then found out the author apparently went temporarily insane while writing it?

Dish it, literarions!

For me, oh Lord have mercy, it was White Oleanders. My mother loaned it to me. I hated every single person in that book and wanted to reach inside the pages and just start laying waste.

Oh yeah ... and then there's She's Come Undone. I was in a book group at a former job that decided to read that, and all the women loved it except me. Such a hateful protagonist, and everyone she meets is just a miserable human being. I quit the group after that, because who knows how much worse it would have gotten.

flo:
The Road.  Not a single ray of sunshine.  No hope anywhere.  Seriously the most depressing book I've ever read.

rose red:
I mentioned this before, but I was extremely disgusted with The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake.  The story sounds good but it was just badly written.  The main problem is the book has no quotation marks which I know is also one of your peeves, Juana.

StarDrifter:
Twilight.

I accidentally watched the movie (I was on a cruise ship, sick and it was either that or the USPGA) and still couldn't figure out what was so good about it.

I asked one of my friends, who is a voracious reader, what she thought of it. She raved! She said it was awesome! She told me that it was *so much better than the movie!*

Lies.

It's terrible! I'm about ten chapters in, and I just want to take a baseball bat to Bella's head. She's so self-centered and a nasty pessimistic piece of work, then she's all upset with the people who are nice to her, and moons over a guy who treats her like dirt.

Then she meets Jacob and is sarcastic towards him purely because he's younger than her.

I want to strangle her. I think I might like the books, if the main character wasn't such a beeyatch. But since it's written first-person, changing the main character would be kind of hard....

Bibliophile:

--- Quote from: flo on April 25, 2011, 10:41:21 AM ---The Road.  Not a single ray of sunshine.  No hope anywhere.  Seriously the most depressing book I've ever read.

--- End quote ---

POD.  And it wasn't even a very new take on the post-apocolyptic story.  No Country For Old Men also stunk.  I think he's my least favorite author.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version