Author Topic: well, THAT was the worst book ever!  (Read 144162 times)

Mikayla

Re: well, THAT was the worst book ever!
« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2011, 05:30:48 PM »
Why do I laugh every time I see wingadingy Moby?

Anyhoo...my two worst books were The Pilot's Wife (one of the most nonsensical and unreal plot lines I've ever encountered) and We Were The Mulvaney's by Joyce Carol Oates.  I'd heard she was a good writer, and let's just say I almost didn't live through that book.  This was also an Oprah suggestion. 

Red1979

• Super Hero!
  • it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2011, 05:35:38 PM »
And put me down for another Faulkner book, "Light In August."  So very dry.  I couldn't get into it, even with Cliff's Notes, and had to stop a few chapters in.  I took an F on that test in English that year.

That's a pretty big statement about a book: "This sucks so bad I would rather fail a test than read it."

My entire CP 11th grade English Class collectively decided to do this for Cather's "Death Comes for the Archbishop".  Our teacher actually read the responses to her quiz outload laughing the entire time.  I think she had tears in her eyes. 

We hadn't even coordinated the effort.  It was just no one could make it through the story.  Not a single one of us.
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

LadyPekoe

• Cooking my way through The Joy of Cooking!
« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2011, 05:38:04 PM »
My mother always called "Heart of Darkness" the worst book she ever tried to read.  She took a low grade rather than finish it.  I grew up knowing that story, so when it was my turn to read HoD in AP English, I decided I wasn't going to read it either.  And I managed to write a paper and get an B just from what I gathered about the book from group discussion.  I'm pretty proud of that.
I'm cooking my way through The Joy of Cooking!  Join me on my quest :)
www.thejoyofthejoyofcooking.blogspot.com

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #138 on: April 25, 2011, 05:41:45 PM »
I think I'm the lone person to love Wuthering Heights :) 

No, you're not! I haven't read it in years, but I love it. Also Jane Eyre, although sometimes I wanted to punch Mr. Rochester for that whole Blanche thing.
Words mean things.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #139 on: April 25, 2011, 05:44:12 PM »
The Picture of Dorian Grey -- it never started let alone finshed (for me)

Angels and Demons might have well been the DaVinci Code with different names.  (In some places I think it was)

there have been a few SciFi that I have tossed on general principal - because of bad plots (I tossed one when the main chars were going on about how to "put a woman in her place")
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #140 on: April 25, 2011, 05:46:04 PM »
The Picture of Dorian Grey -- it never started let alone finshed (for me)

Angels and Demons might have well been the DaVinci Code with different names.  (In some places I think it was)

there have been a few SciFi that I have tossed on general principal - because of bad plots (I tossed one when the main chars were going on about how to "put a woman in her place")

Don't leave us hanging like that! I think you and i read a bit of the same sci-fi and now i am dying to know!  :)

:) edited to add smiley and not sound all yelly and dictatorial.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 05:47:41 PM by hobish »
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #141 on: April 25, 2011, 05:52:28 PM »
A number of books I like (in some cases, love) have been mentioned as "I hates" by other posters.

To each his/her own.

I don't think anyone disagrees with the to each their own idea...and there are some books I liked fairly well mentioned on here as hates, too. ("The Great Gatsby" for one - I didn't love it, but I didn't mind it. Also "Wuthering Heights" and "Pride and Prejudice.")

But I don't mind if other people hated them; just different taste and experiences, is all. I think it's kind of interesting, actually.

I actually really like these threads.  It's interesting to see what other people like and don't like.

I think it's fascinating too.  There are several that I really like that other people hate.  I'm sure the reverse is true too!

And nope!  Love Wuthering Heights.  I even liked the Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, but I read them right after studying Rand in an ethics class.   I actually want to reread Fountainhead now that I've read a major model for the character was Frank Lloyd Wright.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #142 on: April 25, 2011, 05:53:41 PM »
I tried and I tried to read The Gift of Fear, but that book was so BORING and DULL I kept falling asleep.  The author just can't seem to get to the point, droning on and on until I just couldn't take it anymore.  I kept waiting and hoping for it to get good and provide me with all this wonderful information I keep hearing about.  Never got far enough into it, I guess.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #143 on: April 25, 2011, 06:04:07 PM »
hobbish I don't remember the title of the book (long time ago read)

just that they talked about abuse (emotional, phisical and  ummm scrabble related) to keep women in "their places"

about a third of the way into the book that was all it talked about
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Melxb

« Reply #144 on: April 25, 2011, 06:07:28 PM »
I tried and I tried to read The Gift of Fear, but that book was so BORING and DULL I kept falling asleep.  The author just can't seem to get to the point, droning on and on until I just couldn't take it anymore.  I kept waiting and hoping for it to get good and provide me with all this wonderful information I keep hearing about.  Never got far enough into it, I guess.

I read The Gift of Fear as part true crime, part autobiography.  Towards the end, when he gives out tips for safety, I put the book down.  Bad of me, I know, but that's the only way I could get through it.  :P

dman

• Alas, my children! This is the day you shall always remember as the day that you almost...
« Reply #145 on: April 25, 2011, 06:13:16 PM »
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. And anything else by her.

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. Pseduo-philosophical/psychological claptrap. I don't get it, and I don't want to.

A book called The Shack that a friend lent me. I can't remember the author, and I can't for the life of me figure out why she thought I'd want to read it. It was about some guy's personal journey to find God. God was some kind of dreadlocked bohemian that the protagonist encountered in a shack, whilst looking for his dead daughter. Or something. The writing was so bad I couldn't stop sniggering.

Oh The Shack!  My neighbour just loaned this to me a couple of weeks ago.  It was the only book she has read in her entire life I think.  It.is.horrible.  I tried.  I really did.  but it was so bad I gave up.  I don't think I have ever given up on a book before.  I kept picking it up to see if it was going to get better but my diety that man cannot write.

dman

• Alas, my children! This is the day you shall always remember as the day that you almost...
« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2011, 06:26:41 PM »
A number of books I like (in some cases, love) have been mentioned as "I hates" by other posters.

To each his/her own.

I don't think anyone disagrees with the to each their own idea...and there are some books I liked fairly well mentioned on here as hates, too. ("The Great Gatsby" for one - I didn't love it, but I didn't mind it. Also "Wuthering Heights" and "Pride and Prejudice.")

But I don't mind if other people hated them; just different taste and experiences, is all. I think it's kind of interesting, actually.

I actually really like these threads.  It's interesting to see what other people like and don't like.

No, I love Wuthering Heights as well.
I also love Steinbeck.

lilfox

« Reply #147 on: April 25, 2011, 06:28:08 PM »
The Fountainhead, Wuthering Heights, and Anna Karenina are all books that, for me, fall into the "uh, what?" category of disinterest.  No hate, no love, just ... what was that all about?  For some reason The Fountainhead must have been very popular in most high schools right before I got to college, because all the college freshmen put that down as their favorite book ever.  (Mine was Jurassic Park  ;D )  I finally read it a few years after college and did not get it.

Just like I did not get the Lord of the Rings books.  Movies?  Fine.  Books?  No thank you.  I think I missed the window on that, but I was never into fantasy style books as a kid - either straight fiction or straight sci-fi.  I kind of get the popularity of Twilight but mostly I felt too old to find the plot that engaging and wow the fourth book took quite a turn.  Definitely something I read just to know what people were talking about.

Hate I reserve for things like Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, and She's Come Undone.  Painful and pointlessly depressing or obtuse.

OTOH, I may not like the direction that Clan of the Cave Bear series took with Ayla as Savior of All the Peoples, but I will absolutely be reading the next one (and thanks to the PP who mentioned it's been released, I hadn't heard!   ;)).  And I like the Shopaholic series and Bridget Jones' Diary (but not the sequel) and others of that style.  For me it's about the style of writing - if it makes me laugh, it's good brain candy.  There are definitely books out there in a similar vein that are just ... tedious.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #148 on: April 25, 2011, 06:30:48 PM »
hobbish I don't remember the title of the book (long time ago read)

just that they talked about abuse (emotional, phisical and  ummm scrabble related) to keep women in "their places"

about a third of the way into the book that was all it talked about

I do that all the time. "Hey, Dad, what was that book with the whip trees and some artist guy, and people would be asleep in suspended animation for periods of time to prolongue their lives; and the process really hurt, but no one ever remembered it? I forget what it was about or who wrote it; but i want to read it again."  :P

Thanks!

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2011, 06:32:59 PM »
Why do I laugh every time I see wingadingy Moby?

Anyhoo...my two worst books were The Pilot's Wife (one of the most nonsensical and unreal plot lines I've ever encountered) and We Were The Mulvaney's by Joyce Carol Oates.  I'd heard she was a good writer, and let's just say I almost didn't live through that book.  This was also an Oprah suggestion. 

Another Oprah pick - Vinegar Hill.  The most absolutely depressing dreck I've read in my life.