Author Topic: Phrases/sayings you hate  (Read 79086 times)

McCutieBelle

Re: Phrases/sayings you hate
« Reply #1005 on: June 03, 2011, 05:20:24 PM »
True, but she isn't using the borrowed money to pay the mortgage, she is using it to take classes, go out and buy clothes... but that is judgey, and now she will have to borrow more money from her friend for her mortgage in July.... I have no room to talk since my brother has helped me a great deal this past year. However having "no" money to me is a balance of 0 dollars. She told me she has $3,000 in the bank.... that is not "no" money.

This is why one doesn't talk about finances.... :-[ :-\
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #1006 on: June 03, 2011, 06:21:30 PM »
I hate swearing for no reason. Gratuitous swearing. It drives me mad. It shows that people have no grasp on vocabulary and are either too stupid or lazy to think or another adjective in its place.

I secretly love it!

(Antidisestablishmentarianism  ;))

I not-so-secretly and often audibly love it. Sometimes it's annoying, but sometimes it's just plain funny.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #1007 on: June 03, 2011, 06:31:20 PM »
Oh, and euphemisms for overweight such as fluffy, bigger, or worst, BBW annoy me, too. I understand that no one wants to call themselves fat, and most cultural implications of English phrases go right over my head, but sometimes you have to call a spade a spade, I think.

I can handle bigger and BBW, though I'm not a fan of fluffy as it's just too cutesy. The ones that really bug me are curvy and healthy when used to describe women who are most definitely overweight. Thirty pounds overweight is not healthy and there is a big difference between curvaceous and fat.

A lot of euphemisms bug me, though. There is just something about most of them that strikes me as dishonest, I guess.

Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #1008 on: June 03, 2011, 06:33:34 PM »
I call myself fat.

The Sweetie recently recalled a time when we were dating, when my dog and I were following her up the earthen slope of a dam. Apparently I said, "Slow down! She's old, and I'm fat!"

She liked that.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

exitzero

« Reply #1009 on: June 03, 2011, 07:00:38 PM »
Oh, and euphemisms for overweight such as fluffy, bigger, or worst, BBW annoy me, too. I understand that no one wants to call themselves fat, and most cultural implications of English phrases go right over my head, but sometimes you have to call a spade a spade, I think.

I can handle bigger and BBW, though I'm not a fan of fluffy as it's just too cutesy. The ones that really bug me are curvy and healthy when used to describe women who are most definitely overweight. Thirty pounds overweight is not healthy and there is a big difference between curvaceous and fat.

A lot of euphemisms bug me, though. There is just something about most of them that strikes me as dishonest, I guess.

When people say they "lost" someone when that person died. It's all I can do to not say, "Well, you just need to be more careful where you put things, don't you?"  And that wouldn't be nice.

Paper Roses

« Reply #1010 on: June 03, 2011, 10:07:55 PM »
Re the "migraine" vs. "headache" thing:  I completely agree, and also hate it whenever anyone uses a medical term to overdramatize.  A headache is not a migraine, and mood swings do not equal manic depression or bipolar disorder.  And "natural childbirth" does not automatically apply to anyone who has given birth without requiring a C-section. 
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1011 on: June 03, 2011, 10:32:40 PM »

I dislike fluffy as it doesn't make sense to me. Long-haired cats and dogs can be fluffy, and so can sweaters and pillows, but people? If someone told me they were "fluffy" I would think, "Do you have big, poofy hair like Snooki?"

Bigger I don't mind because, to me, it seems accurate, if vague. If someone told me they were "a bigger gal" I would take that to mean, "bigger than average" or "bigger than is healthy" or something along those lines.
~Lynn2000

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #1012 on: June 03, 2011, 10:59:16 PM »
Re the "migraine" vs. "headache" thing:  I completely agree, and also hate it whenever anyone uses a medical term to overdramatize.  A headache is not a migraine, and mood swings do not equal manic depression or bipolar disorder.  And "natural childbirth" does not automatically apply to anyone who has given birth without requiring a C-section. 

Seriously. Someone I know insisted a mutual friend had bipolar disorder because his mood changed dramatically within five minutes. No. Just no. The person then tried to say he was right because he had relations in the medical profession. I gave up.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

jmarvellous

« Reply #1013 on: June 03, 2011, 11:06:04 PM »
I don't like when people use the expression "gay lifestyle" (or really, any super-broad term followed by "lifestyle" -- see "American lifestyle"). It's a term meant to describe a specific, niche way of conducting one's life, and there's just too much diversity among people to make it make sense.

I don't live a "straight lifestyle" (or if I do typify it, my fellow straights 'round the world ought to start living very differently).

McCutieBelle

« Reply #1014 on: June 03, 2011, 11:06:23 PM »
My roommate has started calling anyone who has more then one drink in a night an alcoholic, trust me it is nothing to take lightly... one shouldn't be calling someone an alcoholic.

Just like my grandmother used to say she was diabetic because the doctors suggested she watch her sugar intake, my father and grandfather would always tell her she was NOT diabetic because she wasn't.
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #1015 on: June 04, 2011, 12:41:44 AM »
"[Demographic] just can't win."  It's such a polarizing phrase.  Even when I agree, in that particular instance, it still irritates me because it's a signal for the debate to spiral into a pit of snark and hyperbole, from which there is (usually) no returning.  I'm not saying that phrase is snarky or hyperbolic--at least not all of the time.  But it seems to trigger a defense mechanism in both sides, where members of each party just become more and more entrenched in their own opinions.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1016 on: June 04, 2011, 12:49:04 AM »
"[Demographic] just can't win."  It's such a polarizing phrase.  Even when I agree, in that particular instance, it still irritates me because it's a signal for the debate to spiral into a pit of snark and hyperbole, from which there is (usually) no returning.  I'm not saying that phrase is snarky or hyperbolic--at least not all of the time.  But it seems to trigger a defense mechanism in both sides, where members of each party just become more and more entrenched in their own opinions.

I will now endeavor to use the phrase "spiral into a pit of snark and hyperbole" at my earliest opportunity.

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
« Reply #1017 on: June 05, 2011, 06:03:49 AM »
USian.

I am many things: a Hoosier, a Disabled Combat Veteran, an American.  But my license plates don't read "Disabled USian Veteran", they read "Disabled American Veteran".  As an American and a Veteran, I find this insulting.  I'm not saying it's meant to be insulting, far from it.  I think most (if not all) of the posters who use the term (The Transatlantic Knowledge Thread is one example) are using it respectfully.  Other Americans, other Veterans, might not mind it at all.  I do.  I get defensive, and unfortunately (and unfairly) affects my view of what the poster has to say.
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #1018 on: June 05, 2011, 08:30:15 AM »
USian.

I am many things: a Hoosier, a Disabled Combat Veteran, an American.  But my license plates don't read "Disabled USian Veteran", they read "Disabled American Veteran".  As an American and a Veteran, I find this insulting.  I'm not saying it's meant to be insulting, far from it.  I think most (if not all) of the posters who use the term (The Transatlantic Knowledge Thread is one example) are using it respectfully.  Other Americans, other Veterans, might not mind it at all.  I do.  I get defensive, and unfortunately (and unfairly) affects my view of what the poster has to say.

I think "USian" is an attempted correction to the fact that if viewed in a certain way, you can claim that someone from Chile is an American, as they are from South America.  Of course, that's not the way I view it... it's not the Chilean States of America.  It's Chile.  Just like South Africa can refer to a number of nations (after all, there's more than one nation in Africa's southern half), but the actual nation *named* South Africa has dibs.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #1019 on: June 05, 2011, 09:11:03 AM »
Oh, no reason, really, except that when you pass out from the pain, it's good to be already lying down....  And I hear you, Larrabee, about the shots. A migraine feels like there is someone in your skull trying to beat his way out with a sledgehammer.  The sumatriptan shots replaces him with a guy running a belt sander.  At least that's what they do for me.  I'd a lot rather have a shot of Demerol, but then you get looked at as if you're a junkie looking for a hit, instead of someone in extreme pain.

My migraines don't cause anywhere near that amount of pain, but I still have to go lie down in a dark and quiet room because sometimes my migraines cause seizures and partial paralysis. Since suddenly seizing is more dramatic than suddenly wilting with pain, I suppose mine get more respect. But it's still annoying when people label any pain they have as THE WORST THAT ANYONE'S EVER ENDURED EVER, and then go about their jaunty way after taking an OTC painkiller. Tell me about your mind-blowing pain after you've cried yourself completely dry and narcotics are still not taking the pain away.