Author Topic: No green pencils!  (Read 5127 times)

Carnation

• Super Hero!
No green pencils!
« on: March 10, 2011, 12:03:09 PM »
I work with kids and for holidays, I give them decorated pencils.   I've expanded this from just Halloween, Christmas and Valentine's Day, to also include the first day of school.

Alas, a sweet little child asked me if they would be getting pencils for St. Patrick's Day.   I told her in the nicest way possible, no.

It's just too disruptive to give them out.  You wouldn't think it was, but sadly, that's the case.

Help me not feel so guilty. :'(

EmsMommy

Re: No green pencils!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 12:13:05 PM »
Aw, on the bright side, at least one little girl is very excited for your gifts  :)  I'd tell her (& any other kids who ask) that you only give pencils for the first day of school, Halloween, Xmas, & Vtines Day.  How many kids do you typically give these to?  Would it be possible to have the little mini erasers that you could put on their desks?  I always thought it was fun to get those little treats from our teachers.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 04:16:52 PM »
Aw, on the bright side, at least one little girl is very excited for your gifts  :)  I'd tell her (& any other kids who ask) that you only give pencils for the first day of school, Halloween, Xmas, & Vtines Day.  How many kids do you typically give these to?  Would it be possible to have the little mini erasers that you could put on their desks?  I always thought it was fun to get those little treats from our teachers.

I agree.  With holidays happening at a rate of every 5 weeks, hitting *all* holidays gets a little extreme.

On the other hand, one of my ex's few good points was that as a teacher, he had a "prize box" for when students did particularly well. 

Perhaps a prize box or something like that might be a good compromise.

Emma
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 10:43:39 PM »

Last time I gave out about 75 pencils.   Not all the students come in at once, so I have to give them the pencils as they come in.

I don't actually work in a school, but in a satellite location.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 01:56:40 PM »
Can you give them out at the end of class (if you wanted to give them?)

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 02:08:04 PM »
Just take that the students appreciates the fun treat. If she is there next year, she gets more pencils.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 12:45:04 PM »
You should never feel guilty for saying "no".  The pencils are special treats.  If they appear too regularly they will not be appreciated.

DS had a teacher's aide in elementary school who gave candy for every small "holiday" that was listed on the calendar.  St. Patrick's Day, Lincoln's birthday, Washington's birthday, Columbus Day, National Smelly Feel Day, etc.

It was overwhelming and the kids didn't appreciate the treats.

Erich L-ster

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 01:19:45 PM »
at the dollar store i go to they have the cute shaped mini erasers for $1/package of at least 50. if you're looking for treats/incentives the dollar store is a good cheap place.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 04:47:50 PM »
Now I wish I had given out my leftover Valentine's Christmas and Halloween pencils for April Fool's Day. :P