Author Topic: Wish I had thought of this a number of weeks ago at the supermarket  (Read 25333 times)

padua

Re: Wish I had thought of this a number of weeks ago at the supermarket
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2011, 01:07:48 PM »
You know, if I were very ill with a terminal disease - I'd think that *then* would be the BEST time to splurge on junk food.

mmm... ice cream sandwiches for every meal.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2011, 09:52:37 PM »
I do the same as many of you when I go grocery shopping; I look in my cart and wonder what someone else would make of its contents.  I used to buy a lot of frozen meals (like those Healthy Steamers, or Stouffer's or whatever) to bring to work with me for lunch.  And because I only would go for groceries once a month, I would really stock up.  I'd imagine people would think I had no idea where my kitchen was or how to use anything in it, LOL.

More on-topic, I was once fostering a litter of baby puppies for a local rescue; they'd been found in a local dump, along with their mother, who died a day or two later.  The pups were still very young, like their eyes weren't even open yet, and because it was quite late in the evening and no pet stores were open, I ran to the nearby drug store and picked up some powdered, lactose-free baby formula.  (Not the best thing for baby pups, but it works in a pinch until you can get your hands on actual puppy milk formula.)  These two older ladies were behind me and I could hear them commenting on "babies having babies" and how shameful it was that I was a "teen mother" and so on.  (For the record, I was 24 at the time.  Hardly a baby and perfectly old enough to be married and having kids, if I'd wanted.)  I turned around, raised my eyebrow and said, "That's quite the assumption you're making." then I just faced forward again, got to the cashier, paid for my stuff and walked out.  I wasn't buying the formula for my baby, or even a HUMAN baby, and yet it seemed surprisingly easy for those two women to judge me and automatically assume I was an unwed teenage mother.  "Trashy" was about the kindest thing they had to say about me.

However, I did choose to take it as a compliment that at 24, I still could be mistaken for 16  ;D
"After all this time?"
"Always."

SeaSprite

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2011, 11:19:32 AM »
I might have if it was terminal. All 18 (yes 18 you read that right lol) conditions/illness are chronic but not terminal. Terminal I would possibly had done something not e-hell approved....
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 11:23:14 AM by SeaSprite »
I caved....

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2011, 08:44:31 PM »
DH works at a food production facility, and occasionally runs out of some small ingredient that they *have* to have in order to continue production for the day.  He says you really get strange looks when you go into a store and buy 6 lbs of cilantro, or clean out the store's shelves of one specific spice blend, but nothing else!  :P

Strangely enough, the weirdest looks (and most interesting assumption) I've ever gotten was last week, when I was buying paper goods.  I needed paper towels, toilet paper, and I think canning jars.  As I was walking up to the cash registers, someone walking by paused, gave me a really strange look and then walked off muttering about people who don't understand how to keep a clean house.  ???  I guess in their mind you always buy cleaning solution with your paper towels?

SeaSprite

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2011, 12:48:07 AM »
Wow Dogzard that was really off and a bit out there. Wonder how that person came up with the equation of paper towels and toilet paper=poor housekeeping skills....
I caved....

SeaSprite

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2011, 12:27:17 AM »
I am so doing something not e-hell approved-being very loud and cracking up from the personal item comeback....
I caved....

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2011, 01:16:48 AM »
I'm going to have to start using the "interesting assumption" response when cashiers comment on my cart contents... I am a single, young girl who can usually only shop sometime around 9 pm, so I've come across many cashiers/standers-in-line who try to strike up a conversation with me, and if they say something a bit insulting or intrusive I usually respond in a way that puts their foot in their mouth.

Example (that actually happened)...
Cashier: "Wow, that's a lot of (sanitary) pads! Must be that time of the month, huh? *wink wink*"
Me: "No, my husband decided to try using my backdoor and it was disastrous."

HAAAAAAAAAAAA.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

KB

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2011, 05:14:00 AM »
You know, if I were very ill with a terminal disease - I'd think that *then* would be the BEST time to splurge on junk food.

My mother stopped dieting on the day she got diagnosed with brain cancer. She was very happy about it, too!

As for my story, I'm a big girl and pretty self-conscious. I eat well though, but on this particular day I was buying Diet Coke, my soft-drink of choice (I actually hate the taste of normal Coke). The woman behind me in the line looked at my groceries, looked me up and down and said, loudly, "It's not helping, you know."

I wished long and hard for an appropriate comeback, but sadly came up empty-handed. I've got one now though...

jazzbeat

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2011, 02:37:05 AM »
I really don't understand that type of mentality.  If you bought jars of baby food, would the assumption be that you are consuming the food yourself?

A good friend of mine recently lost 50 pounds and decided to buy one treat for herself:  a regular-sized candy bar.  Since she still had about 50 pounds to lose,  one guy just assumed that was her regular diet and made some nasty comment to her.  She was upset because she had worked very hard and was starting to get into better shape and just wanted one sweet.

Assumptions are often wrong.

SeaSprite

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2011, 08:50:36 AM »
"As for my story, I'm a big girl and pretty self-conscious. I eat well though, but on this particular day I was buying Diet Coke, my soft-drink of choice (I actually hate the taste of normal Coke). The woman behind me in the line looked at my groceries, looked me up and down and said, loudly, "It's not helping, you know."

"A good friend of mine recently lost 50 pounds and decided to buy one treat for herself:  a regular-sized candy bar.  Since she still had about 50 pounds to lose,  one guy just assumed that was her regular diet and made some nasty comment to her.  She was upset because she had worked very hard and was starting to get into better shape and just wanted one sweet"

WHAT is it with these people who think they are the food police ? Especially for a perfect stranger no less?
I caved....

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2011, 10:45:22 AM »
Two college girls I knew who were roommates when I first met them went to the local SuperFresh together to get a couple things, and I can't remember the reason they were getting the turkey baster, but according to the one girl, they got a raised eyebrow from the cashier. 

It is a sad world when people first consider the more unusual use of a turkey baster instead of figuring that some people like to roast. After all, I would think it more likely that college girls could cook than the alternative.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2011, 11:26:29 AM »
I think the most curious group of items I have ever bought together was birth control, Tampax, and a giant bag of kitty litter. A friend was in line with me and commented that “exfoliate the uterus” is one of the more painful phrases in the English language. The poor cashier could not stop laughing; it was fun.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

alkira6

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2011, 11:58:44 AM »
The only real reactions I have had to my carts is when

1. I bought cases of pads, becasue they were on sale and I had stupidly good coupons. What - they store well and it's one less thing to pay full price for.

2. I had a couple hundred pounds of dogfood on a cart at Sam's and had balanced some nacho cheese on top. I didn't realize that people were laughing at me/giving me weird looks until the cashier asked me how it takes. I gave her a huh look and she told me that I had been staring at the cart going something like "nummy nummy nummy, mmmmmm". In my defence, I hadn't eaten all day and my Mom had come over and made dinner, so I was really looking forward to going home and eating.

3. As far as a cart giving me a rep, try being a teacher going through the checkout with three absolutely gorgeous men, condoms, baby oil, and chocolate ice cream. I was stared at in awe and some disgust for the rest of the school year.

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2011, 12:02:56 PM »
3. As far as a cart giving me a rep, try being a teacher going through the checkout with three absolutely gorgeous men, condoms, baby oil, and chocolate ice cream. I was stared at in awe and some disgust for the rest of the school year.

>:D My mind, it wonders about the background to this... I'm making a lot of interesting assumptions!
Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol

Melle

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2011, 12:07:26 PM »
That reminds me of a sketch done by one of my favorite comedians.
She stood at the checkout with butter and a box of condoms, but got self-conscious because of an elderly woman behind her staring at her in disgust and said to the cashier: "I need them to freeze zucchini, do you have them without strawberry taste?"
To which the cashier replied conspirationally: "Come on, sometimes you just need to not give a dingdangity."
That prompted her to say: "You're right. Cancel the butter, I'll be right back with a pot of petroleum jelly."