News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 15, 2017, 06:33:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: She slathered us in bean-dip  (Read 6222 times)

Baxter

She slathered us in bean-dip
« on: May 02, 2011, 06:03:01 AM »
I went to a good friends daughters christening on the week-end.  It was a lovely and elegant affair and the new parents hosted us all at a beautiful restaurant afterwards.   During the lunch the Grandmother held the baby.  The Grandmother would not relinquish hold on the baby - to any-one.

Several people there wanted to hold the baby (she is almost 6 months).  I was talking to the Grandmother and I said, "Oh I would love to hold the baby" and almost got my mitts on the child (not realizing yet that there would be a problem).  The Grandmother leapt out of her chair with the child in her arms. "Oh thank-you so much for offering, thank-you, thats really kind, thank-you so much" (all the while backing away) "but I simply must take the baby over to, um, over to, yes! her Grandfather, thank-you, you are so kind, really kind"

The next person asked to hold the baby and this was the next response "Oh your hair its so long and pretty" turns so the baby is on her other hip away from potential baby snatcher "you really look lovely, so lovely.  Its wonderful of you to come, you look so pretty" and so on and so on.

She used this method with everyone, it was both impressive and annoying, I have never seen such fully fluffed bean-dip.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
Re: She slathered us in bean-dip
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 04:16:01 PM »
It sounds like she was operating on instructions to not let that baby out of her possession...

Ceiling Fan

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 04:24:50 PM »
LOL, she sounds like a whackjob, but 'fully fluffed bean dip' is my new favorite phrase. I'm going to be sure my bean dip is fully fluffed before my next outing :D

Larrabee

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 05:36:08 PM »
Impressive indeed, maybe the baby responds badly to being held by strangers, 6 months is still very young and I think most babies that little are still wanting to be with someone they 'know' most of the time and wouldn't enjoy being passed around.  

Furiously bean dipping was probably the best way to achieve a happy baby without being too blunt and upsetting too many guests!

O'Dell

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 09:44:41 PM »
Maybe I've just heard too many stories about grandparents (the mother of the father in particular) that become too possessive about grandkids and cause problems, but I predict that there will be problems later on. If she were under instructions to not let others hold the baby, then an explanation would have been the logical thing for her to say.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Baxter

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 09:53:37 PM »
Impressive indeed, maybe the baby responds badly to being held by strangers, 6 months is still very young and I think most babies that little are still wanting to be with someone they 'know' most of the time and wouldn't enjoy being passed around. 

Furiously bean dipping was probably the best way to achieve a happy baby without being too blunt and upsetting too many guests!

OP here

We have all held the baby before (when the grandma wasn't around) as these are our best friends. 

You are right, it was a big day for the baby and she probably wouldn't have wanted to be passed around with strangers.  I do think I would have preferred that the grandma said that "sorry its a big day for baby and I just want her settled with me" or something.  If she'd said that, the word would have got around and everyone probably would have understood.  Using that bean-dip of over effusive compliments and running, just made me feel really irritated.

Maybe I've just heard too many stories about grandparents (the mother of the father in particular) that become too possessive about grandkids and cause problems, but I predict that there will be problems later on. If she were under instructions to not let others hold the baby, then an explanation would have been the logical thing for her to say.

According to the babys father, she is shaping up to be a rather "attentive" grandmother.

Maggie

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 09:58:45 PM »
Maybe she just didn't want to share?  That's what I think was going on.  I think it had nothing to do with anything else.

sammycat

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 09:59:55 PM »

Yes, I agree.

Iris

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 12:21:10 AM »
In this case it sounds like an overpossessive granny, but...

At DD2's christening she was starting to get really miserable at being passed around at the reception afterwards, though she normally didn't mind. I was busy coordinating things so a good friend quietly asked DH if DH wanted him to hold the DD for a while to settle her. This guy is fantastic with babies and the family was all busy so DH said yes and good friend held DD for the next 45 minutes or so, letting her get the best rest she'd had all day.

The point of this rather long story (sorry) is that he didn't need any bean dip, or even an explanation. None of my guests were forward enough to ask straight out for a hold. Typically they'd approach and say "Isn't she gorgeous" and he'd say "Yes. She's having a really good rest now." and they'd take the hint and that would be the end of it. I can't tell from your story if overly needy guests were a factor of if it was all on the grabby granny. Either way it could have been handled better I'm sure.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 07:51:47 PM »
I agree the grandmother was being overpossessive. That's never a good thing.

Ed.

SnugsMom

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 09:26:02 PM »
OM gosh... this woman may be a long lost relative of mine!  My sisters resort to extreme measures to avoid giving up my baby.  This includes not peeing for as long as humanly possible.  The strategies taken to get the other person to give up the baby are equally extensive and creative!  lol