News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 16, 2017, 07:36:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Twin birthday gifts  (Read 382 times)

Gina Tonic

Twin birthday gifts
« on: November 30, 2017, 11:20:33 PM »
It's a friends 30th birthday coming up in January and I would like to buy him a present. There's just one problem, it's a joint birthday with his twin. I used to be friends with the twin but we had a big and irreparable falling out a few years ago. I have made a point of being polite to Evil Twin when we are at the same social function. I don't go out of my way to talk to him, but I don't ignore him either.

So... do I have to buy both a present or just one? And if so, would that mean spending the same on both? My plan for good twin was a voucher so it'll be obvious if there's a disparity in value. The easy way out of this is to not buy either of them anything, but that means good twin misses out because of something his brother did. What should I do?

lakey

Re: Twin birthday gifts
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 11:45:55 PM »
Are you going to be at a joint party that is for both of them? If not, can you make plans to meet for lunch or happy hour  with good twin, and give the gift to him there? Even if you see them together on their birthday, maybe you can give the gift to good twin privately a day or so before or after.

Mustard

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 05:42:22 AM »
These men are 30 years old in January; at this age they are definitely separate people!  Buy the present for your friend, and wish his brother a happy birthday.  If they do have a joint party, your invitation would come from your friend, presumably, and not his brother anyway.

pattycake

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 07:58:29 AM »
These men are 30 years old in January; at this age they are definitely separate people!  Buy the present for your friend, and wish his brother a happy birthday.  If they do have a joint party, your invitation would come from your friend, presumably, and not his brother anyway.

Yes, this. Would it be any different if they weren't twins but born close to the same day and had shared celebrations most of their lives?