Etiquette School is in session! > The Ehell Guide to Never Behaving Badly

Telephone Etiquette

<< < (3/3)

SpikeMichigan:

--- Quote ---Don't call me when you are using the toilet.  I can hear what you're doing and that's something that I don't want to listen to.
--- End quote ---

AGREED. This I find so gross, I don't think its bad manners to just hang up. Certain friends don't see the big deal, as 'everyone does it', but I don't want to be a part of your bathroom experience.

Lady Snowdon:
Please don't leave me multiple voicemails over a period of a couple hours, culminating in a panicked "I have to get in touch with you!  Call me ASAP!" if you really just wanted to ask something that's not urgent.  I'm more likely to not consider your future calls urgent and important.  I had one person call and leave me four voicemails over the course of three hours (hours that I was in meetings and such) and when I called him back, he just wanted my fax number.  I have since changed my voicemail to reflect that information.  ::)

Cor:
(Sorry for adding on to an old thread--since these add to the overall brainstorming/project, I didn't want to start a new thread.  If this wasn't the right thing to do, please let me know and I'll promise not to do it again!)

18.  Listen to the voicemail I left you so you know who called you when you're returning the call.  I left that voicemail for a reason--to provide important information, including details such as my name.  Thus no one should ever call and say "Somebody called me..."  If you are in a situation where you're returning a call and there was no message left, you should at least begin by providing your name so I have a shot of identifying why I called you ("Hi, my name is X from Y.  I just missed a call from this number two minutes ago, do you happen to know who was trying to reach me?/I've been working with Z at your company, maybe it was him?") 

18b.  Listen to the voicemail I left you because I shouldn't have to repeat everything I just said in my detailed message that you chose to not listen to, as that's a waste of my time (particularly important for those of us who bill by the hour or are very busy and leaving many messages for many people!)

19.  If you're calling me from a business, leave a voicemail.  You should not expect that I will be willing to call you back and perform the silliness above ("Somebody called me...") because I have no idea who called me.  Calling back a business in a situation like this is particularly problematic, since the person answering the phones likely has zero idea which of their (possibly many) employees called me.

I actually have a personal policy of refusing to call back any number that I don't recognize and know well where the caller did not leave me a voicemail; I assume it was unimportant, misdialed, or a telemarketer or that they're planning to call me again later.  I do not understand how a business can expect to stay in business when it "returns" your calls by hanging up instead of leaving a voicemail when they do not reach you.  (Note: this policy doesn't apply to family.  I actually prefer my family doesn't leave a message if it's just to check in.  If I see I missed a call from you, I'll just call you back.  Being forced to check my voicemail to make the little notification go away only to hear you say "Hi, just checking in" is just annoying.)

20.  If you're going to be gone from work for a day or more during the business week, consider changing your voicemail greeting to reflect that information, so I know you won't be calling me back any time soon.  And then, just as importantly, be sure to change the greeting back when you do return.

VorFemme:
I cannot remember how many times I got a call at work that was the equivalent of "this is Bob, call me back at *local number* as soon as you can" when I worked at a call center covering 13 states and I forget how many area codes (USA).  My voice mail practically begged for a ten digit number instead of the seven digits used "locally" and a claim number or policy number - so that I could check the information that was being requested before calling back.  I could also run a search on the ten digit number, but it might be a business working on multiple vehicles for repair...or a car rental service that was spread across the entire USA...not much help there.

Other jobs were less of a problem as cell phones hadn't become relatively cheap & common - we used some old technology called "land lines" exclusively back then.

crazycatlady331:
I divide phone etiquette into two categories-- personal and business calls.  In my line of work we rarely use landlines and we use either a 'burner' phone (cheap prepaid cell phone)/Google voice type number or our personal cells (company gives us a stipend towards our bill).  ("Burner" phones are often cheaper than landlines).  My cell is a mix between personal and business calls.

Note-- I'm in my mid 30s and don't remember professional type work without cell phones.  I've never had a landline in my name.

For personal calls (to or from me.  Note-- the only people in my social circle who exclusively use landlines have since passed away and 90% of my circle is cell only and everyone uses smartphones)
No need to identify yourself (I don't do this for personal calls either).  Your name will pop up on my caller ID and I will see who this is.  Exception to this rule is when you're using a different phone than your normally use (ie your phone died and you're using a friend's). 
(Depends on the person) if you and I have a history of corresponding by text, please do that first before calling.  Or at least text me first so I have a general idea of what's going on.
If you are calling just to chat, please do not leave a voicemail (I know opinion differs here).  A missed call (or a text) will do.
(Exceptions for life or death emergency). Do not call me after 10:00 PM.  Even though I'm a night owl, that is my me time and I get very angry when someone interrupts my hot date with Netflix.  Feel free to text me then though.
Keep the TMI conversations minimal.  I don't want to hear about what goes on in the bathroom or bedroom.  And please don't call during one of those activities (or shortly before/after).  Same goes for your child or pet.  I don't need to hear about the litter box or diapers.
Please do not send me selfies before/during/after bedroom or bathroom activities.

Business calls (on my personal cell)
Don't be alarmed if I answer 'Hello' instead of "Company Name, this is Crazy Cat Lady" (if calling my burner, I'll answer it the other way)
Leave a voicemail if you wish, but I would prefer texting or email
I've worked in 8 states so far.  My cell phone number has existed for 10 years and isn't changing anytime soon.  Don't be alarmed by the strange area code.  If you are, call the burner (local area code).
If you need to reach me at a strange hour (after 11 or before 8) try and text or email me first.  I may not be awake.

Business calls (on my burner)
If you text please identify yourself.  When working long hours, programming numbers in a cheap flip phone is something that goes by the wayside. 
If I don't answer the phone, it is because I am on another call.  I can only take one call at a time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version