News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 15, 2017, 06:30:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Siblings Reuniting?  (Read 4105 times)

blarg314

Re: Siblings Reuniting?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 08:40:13 PM »

I would say that from a strict etiquette perspective, Declan should have warned his Mom, or met somewhere other than the house.

From any other perspective, I'd give the two boys a free pass for anything they need to do to mend their relationship with each other and survive as healthy adults, and both parents a firm smack upside the head for being self centred imbeciles who care more for their own petty feuding and pursuit of vengeance than the well being off their own children.

And I feel really sorry for Rowan, who by early adult hood had been physically and emotionally rejected and thrown out of the house by both parents, for reasons that were not his fault.

LifeOnPluto

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2011, 09:52:52 PM »
It sounds like dad is at fault here too- why didn't he step up and make sure the boys could see each other?

He was far to angry and bitter. He kicked Rowan out once he learned that he was talking to his mom again (Rowan and his mom eventually mended the relationship though there has been bumps through the years) and the fact that Declan really didn't want to have a relationship with him at the time. He blamed Rowan though it wasn't his fault.

Sounds charming. When he's old and sitting alone in the nursing home, I hope he never wonders why his sons don't come to see him...

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2011, 10:47:55 PM »

I would say that from a strict etiquette perspective, Declan should have warned his Mom, or met somewhere other than the house.

From any other perspective, I'd give the two boys a free pass for anything they need to do to mend their relationship with each other and survive as healthy adults, and both parents a firm smack upside the head for being self centred imbeciles who care more for their own petty feuding and pursuit of vengeance than the well being off their own children.

And I feel really sorry for Rowan, who by early adult hood had been physically and emotionally rejected and thrown out of the house by both parents, for reasons that were not his fault.

Total pod.  Whatever the etiquette of Declan's not telling his mother about Rowan, that is nothing compared to his parents' behavior in the matter (and the judge's for separating them legally).
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

sammycat

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2011, 04:18:46 AM »
With all the information given in this thread, it sounds like the boys would have been better off kept together, away from their "parents", maybe with a relative or something. 

Both so-called "parents" disgust me.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2011, 08:01:24 AM »
At this point I'm starting to wonder if being raised by wolves wouldn't have been a better option...
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

The703

• Formerly ND Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2011, 08:43:31 AM »
It sounds like dad is at fault here too- why didn't he step up and make sure the boys could see each other?

He was far to angry and bitter. He kicked Rowan out once he learned that he was talking to his mom again (Rowan and his mom eventually mended the relationship though there has been bumps through the years) and the fact that Declan really didn't want to have a relationship with him at the time. He blamed Rowan though it wasn't his fault.

Sounds charming. When he's old and sitting alone in the nursing home, I hope he never wonders why his sons don't come to see him...

He won't be alone trust me. He was remarried after he was married to Declan/Rowan's mom. She passed away a few years later. He then remarried about two years later (1991 ish) and he is still married to her. She has 3 kids all older than Declan or Rowan. I know at least one of them calls him Dad. Pretty ironic.

The703

• Formerly ND Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2011, 08:58:44 AM »
I should also add that Declan did give his mom some notice, but I'm not sure what would have been enough. He told her in the afternoon and Rowan came over that evening. Perhaps he did a blindside, but he wasn't really thinking of anything but meeting his brother again.

Both are all grown up now and married with families of their own. They definitely walked away with a great lesson from all of this. They keep trying and trying with their relationship.