Author Topic: Talking on the cell phone while on the toilet  (Read 13994 times)

NotTheNarcissist

Talking on the cell phone while on the toilet
« on: May 06, 2011, 01:56:22 PM »
Am I the only one that finds this rude? I say this because of the noises the person on the other end of the phone may hear.

I know people who do this regularly (both the office toilet & family members) and thought maybe it's just me...hence, this post to check myself.

Thanks in advance.

Edited to say: mods plz move if needed as I wasn't sure what sub-forum to place this in.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:05:24 PM by NotTheNarcissist »

Erich L-ster

Re: Talking on the cell phone while on the toilet
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 02:06:05 PM »
i would find it annoying having to hear it if i were in the same restroom, disgusting if i were the person on the other end of the call talking to somebody who was sitting on a toilet with their pants down.

O'Dell

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 02:14:39 PM »
Honestly this doesn't bother me in certain situations. If it's fellow woman at a private residence and she pees and flushes, I'm fine with it. Number 2 or public restrooms or a man...yuck.

I've heard so many people complain about this that I wonder that anyone does it at all.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 02:36:35 PM »
Very hot topic alert.....

I agree that bathroom stalls are not an appropriate place to have a cell phone discussion. (especially in the office)

Arizona

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 03:12:23 PM »
My bad for not doing a search first!

audrey1962

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 03:22:34 PM »
I find this really, really gross, yet my husband and his family do it regularly; only at home, never in a public place.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 03:34:04 PM »
I will admit to occasionally doing this at home when on the phone with my husband (because he talks FOREVER) but never, never anyone or anywhere else.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 09:23:17 PM »
I did it once. At work- I was not working a desk, I may have been at lunch. I was on the phone (my cell phone) with my mother. I had to go urgently. I kept talking to her while I went into the employee bathroom and did my business. She's my mother. She's a nurse. She knows my plumbing works well.

Almost anyone else I would have excused myself and called back later, though.
I have pet mice!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 08:49:26 AM »
I know a very few people (friends and relatives) that I have tried to POLITELY tell them that I need to get off the phone to "deal with something" and that I will call back in about five minutes - but, if they don't get the hint and end the conversation, I have been known to pee while on the phone.

I know, I need to get more assertive and just hang up...........but for some reason.............it makes ME feel rude for hanging up.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 09:05:14 AM »
There are some people that I will continue the conversation, others that I won't. Then again, I've had a friend that one of us would sit on the vanity while the other did their business, to continue our conversations...I miss her. Yesterday would've been her 28th birthday if her health had been better.

DH does it too (the phone bit). Most of the time, nothing is overheard (I think hearing the exhaust fan clued me in).

People I'm less close to, I wouldn't do it. I guess its one of those things where if we'd continue our conversation through the door, ok...if we'd maintain the "cone of silence" then not ok?

I know a very few people (friends and relatives) that I have tried to POLITELY tell them that I need to get off the phone to "deal with something" and that I will call back in about five minutes - but, if they don't get the hint and end the conversation, I have been known to pee while on the phone.

I know, I need to get more assertive and just hang up...........but for some reason.............it makes ME feel rude for hanging up.

oops...I missed the code before...sowwy mommy. I do require clue X 4s occasionally

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 09:32:02 AM »
I think in a public restroom it is rude to the other people in the bathroom.

There is a woman at my work that does this often - she will hang out by the sink for a long time chit chatting on her cell phone. It doesn't allow me to keep MY private bathroom business private. If she's at home and wants to stand in the bathroom while her DH or her uses it - it might be rude to the person on the other end, depending on how they feel about it - but at least she isn't effecting people who have no say on the situation.

Its not hearing her talk that bothers me (though her end of the conversation often makes me  :o and  ::) depending on what she's talking about) - its that my bathroom visit is being broadcast to the person on the phone. Its private, I want it kept that way.

SPuck

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 07:39:58 PM »
I can understand getting annoyed by a person having long, regular conversations in the bathroom but some times you have no other choice. In the place where I work (both the office and the hallway outside) its difficult not to have a conversation in the bathroom. In the office itself you can hear everything, and in the hallways outside your voice echos because of strange acoustics.

I've also never had a conversation in the bathroom, I just understand why someone would do it.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 10:27:21 AM »
If it's someone I'm very, VERY close to, and even then, only if it's #1 and I can't hold it any longer. 

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

JacklynHyde

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 08:12:02 PM »
One of my gal pals was actually admonished in a public restroom for FLUSHING, interrupting a cell phone conversation in the next stall.