Etiquette School is in session! > "What an interesting assumption."

You don't look American.

<< < (2/20) > >>

magdalena:
It's an odd comment, but I have to agree with MommyPenguin on this:

--- Quote from: MommyPenguin on May 08, 2011, 10:35:32 PM ---I think some countries have a definite "look."  Not so much that you can't be that nationality if you don't have the look, but that if you have the look you are probably of that nationality. 
--- End quote ---

I love to tease my DH with my uncanny ability to spot Germans abroad. Especially Germans in Scandinavia are easy to spot, I claim. (DH is German, we live in Germany, I adore all things German, lol).

There are a few other nationalities that I find easy to recognize, but that doesn't by any means mean that I think all people from those countries look the same/act the same/are the same and has absolutely no value judgement attached, it's just something I've noticed during my travels  ;)

(...and I'll obviously recognize a fellow Finn rather easily... or so I claim)

Lynn2000:

--- Quote from: MommyPenguin on May 08, 2011, 10:35:32 PM ---I think some countries have a definite "look."  Not so much that you can't be that nationality if you don't have the look, but that if you have the look you are probably of that nationality.

--- End quote ---

POD. I work in a diverse area and usually when I see someone new I idly try to guess where they might be from originally. I'd never bring it up to someone on my own, though, especially not as brusquely as in the OP--but if someone turns out to have a Russian accent or name, I often nod to myself and go, "Yeah, I thought they were Russian." Which doesn't even really matter in the scheme of things... I'm usually more interested in their names than anything else, being a name nerd. :) And I've definitely been wrong a few times--there was one woman I thought was Russian, until I heard her cussing someone out in Spanish over the phone and learned (from a friend) that she's actually from Argentina. Oops. Good reason to not make assumptions when in conversation with someone!

Skoffin:
I've been told by various people that I don't look Australian or I don't sound Australian. Some follow it up with weird comments while others have looked at me accusingly.  ???
Interestingly, I 'don't look Australian' because apparently I am 'too white'. I'll take comfort in  not sounding it though, as I will just take it as maybe I do not  sound as much like a bogan as I thought I did.  :P

Shiraz_Much?:
Ummm...yeah...what does an American look like?  That is the weirdest comment.  ::)

Rohanna:

--- Quote from: Waltzing Matilda on May 10, 2011, 09:15:00 AM ---
--- Quote from: Alida on May 08, 2011, 10:21:25 PM ---What does an American look like? For that matter, what does a Russian look like? Maybe I'm just dense, but I have never been able to tell nationalities based on appearances.

--- End quote ---

Don't be fooled. You can always tell an Australian - they're the ones wearing thongs in the middle of winter  :)

--- End quote ---

You mean, they're the one's who think thongs mean sandals and not rear-floss?  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version