Author Topic: No One Is Late For Oprah!  (Read 15077 times)

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
No One Is Late For Oprah!
« on: May 09, 2011, 05:34:24 PM »
http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/american_idol_3/2011_Apr_26_jennifer_hudson_oprah

On Oprah's behind the scenes show, on her new network, it plays out that Jennifer Hudson is late the day she is scheduled to tape a show. Apparently, she did the dress rehearsal the day before, and then left right after, to fly from Chicago to Dallas for a private party. She did not notify Oprah's staff she was leaving the state, and due to ice storms, her flight was delayed the next day by two hours, pushing the three tapings they had scheduled, back.

It was stated on the show that they normally tape two shows a day, but because of the storms, they had to shuffle and they were taping three shows that day, so her tardiness really affected the show.

According to the article I posted, Oprah was very upset and gave Hudson a "verbal smack down." Hudson told the website that she apologized but Oprah keeps bringing it up in passive aggressive ways. Oprah has repeatedly said that this has never happened to her in her 25 years of the show.

Should Jennifer Hudson told the producers she was leaving the state? Especially since there had been a week of snow storms? I also get the impression, from the clips I have seen, and articles about this incident, that Oprah is upset that someone would dare do that to *her*, not just in general. I agree Hudson was very short sighted, and rude, but it doesn't seem exactly graceful to keep bringing it up.

CakeBeret

Re: No One Is Late For Oprah!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 05:45:55 PM »
I'm coming at this from a layman's perspective, since I have no knowledge of how the TV business works.

Hudson's time is her own. If she allows plenty of time to arrive at her commitments, then there's nothing wrong with scheduling other things in the interim. Ice storms and delayed flights are just a fact of life.

However, I will say that if ice storms and flight cancellations had been predicted, Hudson should not have gone to the party.

I don't think Hudson had an obligation to inform the producers that she was going to leave the state.

But I could be completely off-base here. :)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 05:54:05 PM »
Yeah, I absolutely hate it when people are late. However, I would not make PA remarks to them about it. I consider that to be more rude.

While Oprah couldn't control Jennifer Hudson being late, she could certainly control her reactions to it and behave in a graceful manner.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 05:54:28 PM »
Having experienced The Great Oprah and her entourage in person once in my building at work, I don't hold a lot of respect for her little tantrums.  They tried to prevent me from getting to work, and it was not appreciated.

Kaypeep

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 06:00:10 PM »
This is business, not personal.  This kind of extensive and immediate travel can be very commonplace, and without it most stars would not be able to do the amount of PR/appearances that they do.  An act of god prevented her flight from flying.  It was out of her hands.  Jennifer needs to do paid gigs in addition to free ones (because let's face it, she probably wasn't paid much, if at all, to be on Oprah) and for all we know that was booked before Oprah was.

Oprah is being a diva, and I don't blame her for being upset because production work is expensive and doesn't leave much wiggle room for extended delays.  I wouldn't be surprised if she lost her cool and wouldn't drop the issue, either.   She's rude to keep bringing it up over and over.  It's very unprofessional.  

Garden Goblin

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 07:25:40 PM »
Oprah is also the person who cried racism when she got to a store after closing time and they declined to open back up for her.  I think this situation has more to do with Oprah's entitlement complex than the faux pas of being late due to circumstances beyond one's control.

Íkorna

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 08:31:45 PM »
Jennifer Hudson was rude, but she apologized-- It's just as rude for Oprah to keep this obvious grudge against her.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 08:51:46 PM »
I don't think J. Hud. was rude at all. She went somewhere else on her time. Unless she signed a contract saying that she was under the power of Oprah until the taping was over, she was fine. The nasty weather wasn't her fault.

I think Oprah is being a Special Snowflake of the highest order. What seals the deal for me is that she told the reality show cameramen to keep rolling and tape her while she chastised Jennifer. I think she's a self-important drama queen.
The status is not quo!

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 09:05:53 PM »
I don't think J. Hud. was rude at all. She went somewhere else on her time. Unless she signed a contract saying that she was under the power of Oprah until the taping was over, she was fine. The nasty weather wasn't her fault.

I think Oprah is being a Special Snowflake of the highest order. What seals the deal for me is that she told the reality show cameramen to keep rolling and tape her while she chastised Jennifer. I think she's a self-important drama queen.

^ totally agree.
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 09:43:32 PM »
In the TV and movie world each minute kept waiting costs tens of thousands of dollars. It's not just someone kept someone waiting an extra hour to eat dinner, this is a fiscal nightmare.

The fact that they knew they had to tape three shows that day (which would already put them into overtime) and then have to wait for her return a few extra hours cost a lot. Probably close to $100,000.

So if I had someone that I was promoting on my show that is going to absolutely help their career and they decided to chance a flight in bad weather for a personal party and cost me that kind of money, well I might be a bit passive aggressive too.

When you sign up for a show (any show, but especially one that airs daily) you don't get to take chances at their expense for a party.

Miss March

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 09:46:01 PM »
Having experienced The Great Oprah and her entourage in person once in my building at work, I don't hold a lot of respect for her little tantrums.  They tried to prevent me from getting to work, and it was not appreciated.

DottyG, I am dying to hear more about this!
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 09:59:45 PM »
In the TV and movie world each minute kept waiting costs tens of thousands of dollars. It's not just someone kept someone waiting an extra hour to eat dinner, this is a fiscal nightmare.

The fact that they knew they had to tape three shows that day (which would already put them into overtime) and then have to wait for her return a few extra hours cost a lot. Probably close to $100,000.

So if I had someone that I was promoting on my show that is going to absolutely help their career and they decided to chance a flight in bad weather for a personal party and cost me that kind of money, well I might be a bit passive aggressive too.

When you sign up for a show (any show, but especially one that airs daily) you don't get to take chances at their expense for a party.

So, because Oprah was spending money, she gets to be rude? Nope, don't think so.
The status is not quo!

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 10:07:47 PM »
Having experienced The Great Oprah and her entourage in person once in my building at work, I don't hold a lot of respect for her little tantrums.  They tried to prevent me from getting to work, and it was not appreciated.

DottyG, I am dying to hear more about this!

me too, Dotty.  spill!  we want deets!

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 10:11:32 PM »

i think that Oprah forgot that little thing about "praise in public, chastise in private" with one's employees.  oh wait, J. Hud isn't an Oprah employee. 

i really hope that when Oprah's new network is crashing around her ears, she'll reap what she's sown.  i applaud Oprah for what she was able to build for herself, her company, her tv show, her magazine.  but at some point, it appears that she began to believe her own hype.  never a good thing.

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 10:28:47 PM »
i think that Oprah forgot that little thing about "praise in public, chastise in private" with one's employees.  oh wait, J. Hud isn't an Oprah employee. 

But she was for this show. J. Hud wasn't doing Oprah a favor, Oprah was doing J. Hud a favor.

So, because Oprah was spending money, she gets to be rude? Nope, don't think so.
It was J. Hud that was spending Oprah's money, not Oprah.

While it's we obviously don't condone passive aggressiveness, if somebody spent $100,000 of someone else's money, I think I can give them a pass at bringing it up more than once.