Author Topic: No One Is Late For Oprah!  (Read 15999 times)

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
Re: No One Is Late For Oprah!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 10:52:37 PM »
So, because Oprah was spending money, she gets to be rude? Nope, don't think so.
It was J. Hud that was spending Oprah's money, not Oprah.

While it's we obviously don't condone passive aggressiveness, if somebody spent $100,000 of someone else's money, I think I can give them a pass at bringing it up more than once.

if three shows were to be taped that day, i don't get why J. Hud's taping couldn't have been moved back, and one of the others moved forward. 

and i have no problem with Oprah chastising Jennifer Hudson.  i have a huge problem with her making sure that her camera crew was taping said chastising, then airing it.  i get that Oprah has built a huge empire.  i think she'd be very surprised at how many people either don't like her, or don't really care about her or her opinions.

as for the whole private party that Jennifer Hudson flew to attend.  was she a guest, or had she been hired to perform as the entertainment for said private party?  if it was the second, then she would have been in trouble for missing the party.

JadeAngel

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 11:10:58 PM »
So, because Oprah was spending money, she gets to be rude? Nope, don't think so.
It was J. Hud that was spending Oprah's money, not Oprah.

While it's we obviously don't condone passive aggressiveness, if somebody spent $100,000 of someone else's money, I think I can give them a pass at bringing it up more than once.

if three shows were to be taped that day, i don't get why J. Hud's taping couldn't have been moved back, and one of the others moved forward.

They could have, if she had given them notice. If she had said upfront, I have made a commitment to attend this event and I'm concerned with the weather that I might hold you up, they could have done some rescheduling to accomodate her. If she simply doesn't appear on the day and one of the other shows is with Tom Cruise and the other is with someone else, say Hugh Jackman, both of these people will have other commitments and won't be able to accomodate last minute schedule changes so that means they'll have an entire crew standing around on the clock waiting for JHud to show up so they can get started and they may not get to tape it at all if she gets there at 2.45 and the Tom Cruise show is scheduled to start taping at three. Not to mention the audience who are sitting around looking at nothing for an hour or so.

I think she should have outlined the commitment she had made to be in another city that night, so that Oprah's people were aware of it and could act accordingly. I don't think Oprah should have chastised her as she was late due to circumstances beyond her control, but I can understand the frustration.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 11:12:12 PM »
I don't know about the weather conditions, but if there was bad weather expected and it was foreseeable her plane would be delayed, then it was rude to risk it.  But if it was just an odd bit of weather, then Jennifer wasn't rude a bit for doing something on her own time.  She was correct to apologize for the inconvenience, but I don't think it needed to be anything more than that.  For heaven's sake, Oprah's acting like she was intentionally stood up.  It's hardly uncommon for stars to be tightly booked and do a variety of different performances in a short time span.  Jennifer didn't control the weather.  It was just bad luck.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 11:13:47 PM »
From what I understand, and from a clip of one of the staff members, they had been dealing with blizzards all week, so it wasn't completely unexpected.

BTW, here is a clip of a "Sneak Peak.": http://youtu.be/zIOrnvuorpE
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 11:18:38 PM by jimithing »

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 11:38:48 PM »
That’s because Jennifer rehearsed, and then, without telling producers, left Chicago and flew to Dallas for a private party. When she didn’t arrive the next morning—when the show already had an atypical three episodes to film because of a blizzard in Chicago—the producers learned that she was gone. Worse, because of an ice storm, her plane was delayed by two hours, throwing off the entire day of shooting and making Oprah very, very unhappy.

Blizzards all week and a private party. J. Hud was very unprofessional. Oprah may be a diva (which I personally think she is, but then how do you get to be where she's at without being one?), but J. Hud blew it. I forgive Oprah for being upset and being rude given the severity of the situation.

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 11:47:28 PM »
That’s because Jennifer rehearsed, and then, without telling producers, left Chicago and flew to Dallas for a private party. When she didn’t arrive the next morning—when the show already had an atypical three episodes to film because of a blizzard in Chicago—the producers learned that she was gone. Worse, because of an ice storm, her plane was delayed by two hours, throwing off the entire day of shooting and making Oprah very, very unhappy.

Blizzards all week and a private party. J. Hud was very unprofessional. Oprah may be a diva (which I personally think she is, but then how do you get to be where she's at without being one?), but J. Hud blew it. I forgive Oprah for being upset and being rude given the severity of the situation.

i'd need to know if Jennifer Hudson had committed to perform at the party before she was booked with the Big O.  if she had, she was required to fulfill her commitment. 

i don't blame the Big O for being upset.  i blame her for taping, and airing, her chewing out of Jennifer Hudson.  that is completely uncalled for.  IMHO, it reinforces the Big O's rep.  and it's not a good rep.

Ceiling Fan

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 11:57:27 PM »
If J Hud made 2 commitments for the same time period half a county apart, she was rude and unprofessional for double booking. This is the midwest in winter; chicago is notorius for weather delays.

Still, I have a hard time feeling much sympathy for Opera, she's quite the diva herself.

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 01:10:48 AM »
Jennifer Hudson was under no obligation to tell Oprah Winfrey or her "people" she was going to Dallas. What she does on her own time is her business, Oprah Winfrey and her employees don't get to run her life. And Jennifer Hudson had no control over the weather so I don't believe it's her fault. As for Winfrey's reaction it's just what I'd expect from her. Oprah is a diva to the umpteenth degree. She's got a bazillion dollars but she's always complaining about something. I have absolutely no sympathy for her.

Ed.

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 01:20:28 AM »
Master Ed,

Your personal opinion of Oprah does not make J. Hud's actions any less rude or less costly. If you had a business partner that cost you thousands of dollars and caused that many headaches with unprofessional behavior, (and the weather was that bad that traveling in it was taking a chance that you might not be able to make it was completely unprofessional) you too probably wouldn't let it slide with a understanding smile and no repercussions.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 05:36:18 AM »
Jennifer Hudson was under no obligation to tell Oprah Winfrey or her "people" she was going to Dallas. What she does on her own time is her business, Oprah Winfrey and her employees don't get to run her life. And Jennifer Hudson had no control over the weather so I don't believe it's her fault. As for Winfrey's reaction it's just what I'd expect from her. Oprah is a diva to the umpteenth degree. She's got a bazillion dollars but she's always complaining about something. I have absolutely no sympathy for her.

Ed.

Totally agreeing here.
Stewart/Colbert '16

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 06:03:24 AM »
Oprah said "but you'll learn from it".

Why is this any of Oprah's beeswax whether or not Jennifer Hudson learned anything from it? :-\

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 06:22:15 AM »
I disagree tha Oprah was doing JH a favor.  JH could very well bring in some viewers who wouldn't normally be watching the show so it seems like they could mutually benefit.

I find it hard to believe that this has never happened in 25 years.  Nobody has ever come down ill right before they were supposed to tape?  Had a car accident or family crisis that delayed taping? 

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
I disagree tha Oprah was doing JH a favor.  JH could very well bring in some viewers who wouldn't normally be watching the show so it seems like they could mutually benefit.

Yeah, I loathe Oprah, but if someone I really like is on (like, say, Jennifer Hudson), I might be inclined to watch.

Your personal opinion of Oprah does not make J. Hud's actions any less rude or less costly. If you had a business partner that cost you thousands of dollars and caused that many headaches with unprofessional behavior, (and the weather was that bad that traveling in it was taking a chance that you might not be able to make it was completely unprofessional) you too probably wouldn't let it slide with a understanding smile and no repercussions.

She's allowed to be upset, although I think she was more upset than she should have been. Where she crosses the line is (1) bringing it up repeatedly and (2) taping the dressing down and airing it on television. That's just not OK.

Also, let's be clear that J. Hud. wasn't out having fun at a party. She was performing, i.e., doing her job.
The status is not quo!

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 10:10:36 AM »
Also, let's be clear that J. Hud. wasn't out having fun at a party. She was performing, i.e., doing her job.

Not sure where you got that. Was there another article? She "attended" a private party, it did not say she "performed" at a private party.

I'd also like to point out that this is not a social situation. This is a professional work situation. They have slightly different rules.

And since it is a work situation what she does on her own time is Oprah's business if it effects her performance. Kind of like you can do whatever you want with your time off as long as you are able to show up sober, ready to work and on time. If something you do on your off hours effects this then your boss has a right to have a problem with you.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:14:36 AM by MadMadge43 »

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 10:23:36 AM »
I've read 2 separate articles that say she was performing at the party, not just attending as a guest. I'll try to dig them up again.

And since it is a work situation what she does on her own time is Oprah's business if it effects her performance. Kind of like you can do whatever you want with your time off as long as you are able to show up sober, ready to work and on time. If something you do on your off hours effects this then your boss has a right to have a problem with you.

So, if there were a chance it would snow/storm tonight, I shouldn't go home because I might not make it back into the office tomorrow?
The status is not quo!