Author Topic: The Duchess of York on Being Excluded From Prince William's Wedding  (Read 14013 times)

Ceiling Fan

Re: The Duchess of York on Being Excluded From Prince William's Wedding
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 11:17:04 AM »
Why mention the bolded?  Its not as if they chose to be born into this madness, frankly I'd rather have my private poverty than their public wealth.

I always thought e-hell was the kind of place you come to in order to avoid the nastiness of the rest of the world, I can read mean, female doggy comments anywhere, this place is supposed to be polite.

The hats are by Philip Treacey, the darling of the high society fashion world, whatever you might think of it it wasn't inappropriate.

Would you be this horrible about a friend's 21 year old daughter if she wore the same thing?  What if you found out somebody was making these kind of comments about your daughter/sister/best friend?

You know, you are absolutely right. My entire post was unneccessary and I apologize. I have removed my post.  :-[

Larrabee

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
Thanks Ceiling Fan, I'll remove mine that quotes it too.  I really appreciate your reply.  :)

Larrabee

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 11:30:39 AM »
Its still there, in case you didn't realise...

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 11:33:35 AM »
They actually broke up for a time, probably partly because she had to weigh her love for him vs. becoming a Royal and giving up a lot of private life. 

As for the Princesses, likely they are more remote from the main line of the family and able to live more privately.  The children of the Queen's cousins, for example, do not have titles and work at regular jobs (though well-paid  ;)).

gui

And despite the (again) inevitable comparisons to Diana, the reality is that Kate is coming from a much better place.  She has a stable, close family to fall back on, which Diana did not.  She's 29 to Diana's 19, marrying a man the same age with a long relationship behind them and friends and interests in common, not someone much older who is marrying a "suitable young woman".  Also, the press' treatment of Diana was uncommon for a member of the Royal family and she wasn't really able to prepare.  Kate grew up watching it and knows what to expect.

I do feel for her sister Pippa though. Agreeing to be your sister's Maid of Honor (or UK equivalent) should not open one up to global commentary on one's rear end followed by rampant speculation about the Best Man.
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

Ceiling Fan

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 11:35:48 AM »
Its still there, in case you didn't realise...

Whoops. Ok, gone now :)

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 11:37:08 AM »
Sarah certainly put her foot in her mouth with regard to Diana, although I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that she meant her comment the way it came out.

As for dressing with her daughters and attending as a family, well, she's divorced, and sometimes unfortunately families with divorces can't do that.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

BB-VA

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 11:48:11 AM »
Frankly, I pity anyone who marries into the royal family. It's a minefield.

Edited to add: Not maligning Will and Harry, who seem like good guys. It's the general royal family culture I'm referring to.

Completely agree, Kate Middleton seems like a nice girl and all, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to become a part of that craziness.  I hope she doesn't end up regretting it.  :(

I like to think of it as a testament to how much she loves Will.

I hope so, but she did know he was a prince when she started dating him!

Its interesting, there must be lots of people who feel the opposite way because when it was announced that Prince William would be going to St Andrews for uni their applications went up by about 500% or some similarly insane figure, nearly all females!  I even had a friend who applied there specifically with the goal of meeting Prince William and convincing him to marry her!

Queen Elizabeth (the late Queen Mother) turned down the Duke of York (George VI) twice because she didn't want to deal with all the royal hassle.  At the time they were married, nobody really believed that the Duke would succeed George V.   

She always did seem to be quite sensible to me.  She did love him deeply, though, so I guess she weighed the options and decided he was worth it.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 11:51:36 AM »

I do feel for her sister Pippa though. Agreeing to be your sister's Maid of Honor (or UK equivalent) should not open one up to global commentary on one's rear end followed by rampant speculation about the Best Man.

Whaa???

I didn't hear that one! She has a nice body, and it was decently covered by a very nice dress. What on earth was there to comment on?!?
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Larrabee

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 11:52:19 AM »

Whaa???

I didn't hear that one! She has a nice body, and it was decently covered by a very nice dress. What on earth was there to comment on?!?

Most of the comments I've seen were (very) positive, doesn't mean its not mortifying!

Elfqueen13

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 11:53:30 AM »

Whaa???

Google it.  It's very...enlightening.  She looked amazing but there were some highly publicized photos taken from the back as they entered the Abby.

Ceiling Fan

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 12:08:15 PM »

Whaa???

Most of the comments I've seen were (very) positive, doesn't mean its not mortifying!

Her rear has it's own facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pippa-Middleton-***-Appreciation-Society/183120471735513

Warning: rude- change the *** for a common three letter word for backside.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 12:27:02 PM »

Whaa???

Google it.  It's very...enlightening.  She looked amazing but there were some highly publicized photos taken from the back as they entered the Abby.

Haven't yet turned up any good photos. I did however get some good commentary on the subject, and am now laughing like a loon. Who on earth over the age of fifteen would SAY that stuff?!

Some people amaze me...

ETA - that Facebook page is *ahem* a little too much for me. And I still don't see anything in those photos other than a nicely-dressed young lady. Guess I'm too old to 'get' the point of it.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

BB-VA

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 01:07:59 PM »
Speaking of Dukes of York - The last two Kings were Dukes of York who were not expected to inherit the throne.*

Considering the current Duke of York, that's a little scary.

*George V's older brother died before his father, and George VI's brother abdicated.  Neither had children.  Since the current Prince of Wales has William and Henry, I doubt it will be a problem.  Still...it is scary.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Elfqueen13

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2011, 02:41:54 PM »
Speaking of Dukes of York - The last two Kings were Dukes of York who were not expected to inherit the throne.*

Considering the current Duke of York, that's a little scary.

*George V's older brother died before his father, and George VI's brother abdicated.  Neither had children.  Since the current Prince of Wales has William and Henry, I doubt it will be a problem.  Still...it is scary.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. There are a lot of people between Andrew and the crown.  The previous Dukes were 2nd in line, not 4th and falling.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 03:02:02 PM »

Whaa???

Her rear has it's own facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pippa-Middleton-***-Appreciation-Society/183120471735513

Warning: rude- change the *** for a common three letter word for backside.

And I've heard the pink octopus hat has its own Fb page as well.