Author Topic: The Duchess of York on Being Excluded From Prince William's Wedding  (Read 13215 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
The Duchess of York was not invited to Prince William's wedding, though her daughters and Prince Andrew were. She claims to understand why she was left off the guest list, but is sad to have missed it. She sat down Wednesday to talk to Oprah about it.

The snub "was so difficult," the former royal continued. "Because I wanted to be there with my girls... to be getting them dressed and to go as a family."

She added: "Also, it was so hard, because the last bride up that aisle was me." (Ferguson and Prince Andrew, 51, tied the knot in Westminster Abbey on July 23, 1986.)

I have a teeny bit of sympathy for her, but I don't think this is something she needs to tell Oprah on national television. In fact, that might be part of the reason she wasn't invited.

This, however, made me squawk:

Ferguson has frequently spoken of her kinship with the late Diana, who passed away in 1997 at age 36. "I really love the feeling that sort of Diana and I both weren't there," she told Oprah. "But I'm here to say how proud she would have been and Kate looked utterly beautiful."
Bolding mine.

What? Why on earth would you say this!!! :o :o
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
This, however, made me squawk:

Ferguson has frequently spoken of her kinship with the late Diana, who passed away in 1997 at age 36. "I really love the feeling that sort of Diana and I both weren't there," she told Oprah. "But I'm here to say how proud she would have been and Kate looked utterly beautiful."
Bolding mine.

I.... she... she couldn't have... but she did.... NO! JUST NO!
The status is not quo!

Ceiling Fan

Wow. ::)

This: "to be getting them dressed and to go as a family." I'd totally agree with, if I thought she'd have any say in preventing those sartorial disasters. And you couldn't have taught them a bit about makeup, while we're on the subject?

The remark about her and Di both not being there was a total Huh? I know you were best buds and all, but you weren't there because you exercised poor judgement and tried to sell out your family, and Di was wasn't there, because, oh, that's right, she was DEAD! ::)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
The only possible way i can wrap my mind around it is that she and Diana used to feel like the outcasts together and if she had gone it would have been strange to be there without Diana?  I don't know, that is the only fathomable reason I can think of for her to say that.  Very strange.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
The only possible way i can wrap my mind around it is that she and Diana used to feel like the outcasts together and if she had gone it would have been strange to be there without Diana?  I don't know, that is the only fathomable reason I can think of for her to say that.  Very strange.

I guess that would make sense, if that's what she meant, but what came out of her mouth made me cringe.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

MyFamily

If there was a smiley of someone blowing a raspberry, that is what I'd use but instead I'll just do this instead

::)

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Sharon F

When my husband heard that the girls were invited but their mother his automatic response was how wrong it was, then I pointed out to him we both had done the exact same thing at our wedding two years previous. Each of us has an uncle who had children in a marriage and divorced more than a decade ago. We invited our uncles and cousins, but not our ex-aunts. Though my uncle's ex-wife is the mother of my cousins, I haven't seen her in years, plus my uncle has been in a relationship with someone else for sometime.

I find the duchess of Yorks remark about how she would have liked to go as a family and helping them get ready, that rubs me the wrong way. Like someone who is friend's of a friend that's getting married, and wants to be invited because their friends are going, and not because you really want to be there for the HC.

smroy724

I just got married seven months ago and did the same thing that William and Kate did.  People that were no longer in the family due to a divorce were not invited...Their children were.

My thoughts on her wanting to help her family get ready? 
I could see it if they were smaller and this was the first time that they got dressed up for a big wedding or even if they were in the wedding, but as they are both adults - I just don't see it.
- SMROY724

The big day is fast approaching - 10/9/10.

rose red

• Super Hero!
Bolding mine.

I hope William and Harry doesn't hear that remark because I'm sure their feeling about their mother's presence is quite different.

Get over yourself, Sarah. 

hardia

First of all, comparing her own exclusion to the absence of the groom's late mother ... there are no words.  Secondly, I'd have a lot more sympathy for Sarah if she hadn't made her own bed, with a long, long string of bad decisions and less-than-ideal behaviour.  Thirdly, I, too, invited an aunt and her child, but not the now-divorced father of the child, to my wedding last year.  I think that's pretty standard.

I did see part of the interview where she said that it was bittersweet for her because she was the last bride down that aisle, and I can understand that feeling, and am even ok with her expressing it.  But the only way I could have seen her being invited was if the girls were still young, and were in the wedding party.  As it is, I can't imagine who would have thought she would be invited, and it was hardly a snub.

I thought when the invitations first went out she handled it well, issuing a statement about how she didn't expect to be invited and she wished them well.  This pity party after the fact, and trying to ride the wave of affection and remembrance of Diana, is a bit much.

Ontario, Canada

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: The Duchess of York on Being Excluded From Prince William's Wedding
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 04:41:22 PM »
Fergie has still not learned that just because you *think* something doesn't mean you have to *say* it.

And yes, ex-wives of uncles of the groom are NOT automatically invited to weddings. That is not a snub, although perhaps she might have been invited if her poor judgment in things over the years made it unlikely to happen.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Larrabee

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 04:46:19 PM »
Hmm, I'll try to give her the benefit of the doubt and hope that she meant something entirely different to how it came out along the lines of what Sharnita said. 

I think if this were an ordinary family wedding she should never have expected to be invited but as the world and his wife were at this wedding, including plenty of people the HC don't actually have relationships with, very distant relatives and even dictators currently involved in violently oppressing their own citizens then maybe she had more reason to expect an invitation.

Ceiling Fan, I thought the princesses looked lovely:

TychaBrahe

• Super Hero!
  • Defend the mother closet!
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 06:30:06 PM »
I have to say I totally agree with Ceiling Fan.

"Brownies and kindness for all!"  — High Dudgeon

Ceiling Fan

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 07:21:11 PM »
I have to say I totally agree with Ceiling Fan.

LOL, every time I see this pic I think of this.

:D

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
The status is not quo!