Author Topic: The Duchess of York on Being Excluded From Prince William's Wedding  (Read 13786 times)

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
Re: The Duchess of York on Being Excluded From Prince William's Wedding
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2011, 03:07:16 PM »

I do feel for her sister Pippa though. Agreeing to be your sister's Maid of Honor (or UK equivalent) should not open one up to global commentary on one's rear end followed by rampant speculation about the Best Man.

Whaa???

I didn't hear that one! She has a nice body, and it was decently covered by a very nice dress. What on earth was there to comment on?!?

Most of the comments I've seen were (very) positive, doesn't mean its not mortifying!

Her rear has it's own facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pippa-Middleton-***-Appreciation-Society/183120471735513

Warning: rude- change the *** for a common three letter word for backside.

And I've heard the pink octopus hat has its own Fb page as well.

Actually, it has a few, according to the article I read.
The status is not quo!

BB-VA

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2011, 03:21:30 PM »
Speaking of Dukes of York - The last two Kings were Dukes of York who were not expected to inherit the throne.*

Considering the current Duke of York, that's a little scary.

*George V's older brother died before his father, and George VI's brother abdicated.  Neither had children.  Since the current Prince of Wales has William and Henry, I doubt it will be a problem.  Still...it is scary.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. There are a lot of people between Andrew and the crown.  The previous Dukes were 2nd in line, not 4th and falling.

Not a bit worried about it.  Just a strange coincidence.  I think Charles and William and/or Harry will break the streak.

BTW, since I am getting into coincidences/superstitions - I do hope Charles will be George VII and not Charles III.  Bad things have happened to British kings named Charles...

"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Ceiling Fan

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2011, 03:22:30 PM »

I do feel for her sister Pippa though. Agreeing to be your sister's Maid of Honor (or UK equivalent) should not open one up to global commentary on one's rear end followed by rampant speculation about the Best Man.

Whaa???

I didn't hear that one! She has a nice body, and it was decently covered by a very nice dress. What on earth was there to comment on?!?

Most of the comments I've seen were (very) positive, doesn't mean its not mortifying!

Her rear has it's own facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pippa-Middleton-***-Appreciation-Society/183120471735513

Warning: rude- change the *** for a common three letter word for backside.

And I've heard the pink octopus hat has its own Fb page as well.

Actually, it has a few, according to the article I read.

It's actually kind of brilliant to auction it for charity, I hope it gets a good sum.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2011, 03:23:40 PM »
I do hope Charles will be George VII and not Charles III.  Bad things have happened to British kings named Charles...

Wow. I know nothing about how this is done. He won't still be Charles? Can you explain or point me to a link? Is it kinda like becoming Pope?
The status is not quo!

BB-VA

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2011, 03:24:24 PM »
I think that hat would be a dynamite bird perch.

It makes me think of some Dr. Seuss illustration with red and yellow birds perched all over it.

"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."

BB-VA

« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2011, 03:27:42 PM »
I do hope Charles will be George VII and not Charles III.  Bad things have happened to British kings named Charles...

Wow. I know nothing about how this is done. He won't still be Charles? Can you explain or point me to a link? Is it kinda like becoming Pope?

The sovereign gets to choose his name.  King Edward VIII was known as Prince David, George VI was Prince Albert pre-accession.  Both of them had the names they chose as part of their given names, though.  Elizabeth II just went with what she had - she was named for 3 queens anyway (Elizabeth Alexandra Mary).

Charles' full name is Charles Philip Arthur George, so there's a George there for him to latch onto if he chooses.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2011, 03:29:45 PM »

The sovereign gets to choose his name.  King Edward VIII was known as Prince David, George VI was Prince Albert pre-accession.  Both of them had the names they chose as part of their given names, though.  Elizabeth II just went with what she had - she was named for 3 queens anyway (Elizabeth Alexandra Mary).

Charles' full name is Charles Philip Arthur George, so there's a George there for him to latch onto if he chooses.

But if he wanted, could he be something like King Bob? Or King Pretzel Stick? Can it be anything that suits his fancy, or does it have to be a former king's name? If he becomes King George, do people in his life (like, say, Camilla) start calling him George, or do they still call him Charles?

Sorry for all the questions! I just didn't know about this and I find it fascinating!
The status is not quo!

MyFamily

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2011, 03:31:11 PM »
I'm confused by something - why couldn't Fergie be there with her daughters as they got ready for the wedding?  Did the girls get ready somewhere where Fergie wasn't allowed?  I know that when I go to a wedding and my daughter isn't invited, she'll be in my room watching me get ready and asking to try on my make up and jewelry.  Not being invited doesn't play into that, does it?  Or am I missing something?

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Ceiling Fan

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2011, 03:33:13 PM »
I'm confused by something - why couldn't Fergie be there with her daughters as they got ready for the wedding?  Did the girls get ready somewhere where Fergie wasn't allowed?  I know that when I go to a wedding and my daughter isn't invited, she'll be in my room watching me get ready and asking to try on my make up and jewelry.  Not being invited doesn't play into that, does it?  Or am I missing something?

You know, I wondered about that as well.

Larrabee

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2011, 03:34:06 PM »
Speaking of Dukes of York - The last two Kings were Dukes of York who were not expected to inherit the throne.*

Considering the current Duke of York, that's a little scary.

*George V's older brother died before his father, and George VI's brother abdicated.  Neither had children.  Since the current Prince of Wales has William and Henry, I doubt it will be a problem.  Still...it is scary.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. There are a lot of people between Andrew and the crown.  The previous Dukes were 2nd in line, not 4th and falling.

Not a bit worried about it.  Just a strange coincidence.  I think Charles and William and/or Harry will break the streak.

BTW, since I am getting into coincidences/superstitions - I do hope Charles will be George VII and not Charles III.  Bad things have happened to British kings named Charles...

There have been so many Georges though, I'd prefer him to just stay as he is.  Its so long since there's been a Charles, and he's been such a well known figure by that name for sooo long it'd be very strange if he was suddenly something else in his sixties!

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2011, 03:34:20 PM »

You know, I wondered about that as well.

They may have gotten ready at Buckingham Palace with the family.  It makes it easier for security and transportation if the immediate family is all together.
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

BB-VA

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2011, 03:34:27 PM »

But if he wanted, could he be something like King Bob? Or King Pretzel Stick? Can it be anything that suits his fancy, or does it have to be a former king's name? If he becomes King George, do people in his life (like, say, Camilla) start calling him George, or do they still call him Charles?

Sorry for all the questions! I just didn't know about this and I find it fascinating!

I haven't the foggiest idea!   But SOMEBODY had to be George I, so I wouldn't think it would have to be a former sovereign's name.

I am sure Charles would still be Charles at home (or Chuck or Charlie or Woogums or whatever).  I think  the chosen name is for the rest of the world.

Why hasn't there been a King Bob, anyway?  Robert is a nice name.  

Larrabee

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2011, 03:36:09 PM »

I haven't the foggiest idea!   But SOMEBODY had to be George I, so I wouldn't think it would have to be a former sovereign's name.

I am sure Charles would still be Charles at home (or Chuck or Charlie or Woogums or whatever).  I think  the chosen name is for the rest of the world.

Why hasn't there been a King Bob, anyway?  Robert is a nice name.  

Robert the Bruce!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_the_Bruce

hardia

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2011, 03:41:57 PM »
It doesn't have to be a former king's name, but it would be very unusual for him to choose something other than one of his own middle names, if he doesn't want to use his first name.  The current Queen's father's first name was Albert (Bertie to the family) but he chose to use George, one of his middle names, when he came to the throne (my understanding is that Queen Victoria, whose husband was Prince Albert, asked that there never be a King Albert as her husband was not king).

I expect at this point Charles will use his first name if he comes to the throne, just because he is known so commonly by that name already.  In times past, without the media interest and global communications that we have now, the general public didn't know very much about members of the royal family.  But Prince Charles is known the world over as Charles -- it would be very strange for him to be called something else at this point in his life.  Also, if he had come to throne at a younger age he might have considered it, but I would be surprised if he changes his name at this point.

Charles's names are Charles Philip Arthur George -- he's not going to use Philip, as that's his father (and see above about not having a King Philip when the current queen's husband was a prince), and he's not going to use Arthur (King Arthur? I don't think so), so his choices really are Charles or George.  I expect he'll stick with Charles.

Ontario, Canada

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2011, 04:03:25 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I form my own relationships with the spouses of my family members. Even after a divorce, the relationship is still there and so I would have invited Sarah, even though she was no longer married to my uncle.

As for her behavior, are people talking about the cheating? Given that Charles, Diana, and Andrew all cheated it seems a bit hypocritical to cast stones at Sarah for doing the same thing.