Author Topic: The Duchess of York on Being Excluded From Prince William's Wedding  (Read 13299 times)

Larrabee

Re: The Duchess of York on Being Excluded From Prince William's Wedding
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2011, 04:05:30 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I form my own relationships with the spouses of my family members. Even after a divorce, the relationship is still there and so I would have invited Sarah, even though she was no longer married to my uncle.

As for her behavior, are people talking about the cheating? Given that Charles, Diana, and Andrew all cheated it seems a bit hypocritical to cast stones at Sarah for doing the same thing.

Her most recent 'crime' was offering to sell access to Andrew to undercover reporters.  Not the best plan really, especially considering how few people would be willing to pay for access to Andrew!

BB-VA

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2011, 04:05:47 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I form my own relationships with the spouses of my family members. Even after a divorce, the relationship is still there and so I would have invited Sarah, even though she was no longer married to my uncle.

As for her behavior, are people talking about the cheating? Given that Charles, Diana, and Andrew all cheated it seems a bit hypocritical to cast stones at Sarah for doing the same thing.

I think it was selling access to Prince Andrew that was the problem.  Not cool, at any level.

ETA one forgotten l
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2011, 04:09:08 PM »
Didn't Prince Edward, the youngest brother, get a dressing down from Charles for having his own film crew follow Will and Harry around? As I recall, this was several years ago, and it was after the other news outlets had agreed to give the princes a break while they were still students....

MyFamily

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
Fergie has also managed to alienate the Royal Family with other things - she doesn't seem to realize that their dirty laundry doesn't need to be aired for all to see.  Just the fact that she went on Oprah and discussed the fact that she was hurt says a lot about her character.  A few people tried to make a fuss because the Obama's weren't invited, and honestly, they haven't done anything to indicate that they were upset.  I'm sure Michelle Obama was disappointed that they weren't invited, but she didn't go on national tv and whine about it.  It is a matter of how it is handled.

BTW, the fact that she is an ex-relation may not play too much in this - I am pretty sure that I saw a picture of Camilla's ex-husband that said it was taken at the wedding. 

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Larrabee

« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2011, 04:58:40 PM »

I do feel for her sister Pippa though. Agreeing to be your sister's Maid of Honor (or UK equivalent) should not open one up to global commentary on one's rear end followed by rampant speculation about the Best Man.

Whaa???

I didn't hear that one! She has a nice body, and it was decently covered by a very nice dress. What on earth was there to comment on?!?

Most of the comments I've seen were (very) positive, doesn't mean its not mortifying!

Her rear has it's own facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pippa-Middleton-***-Appreciation-Society/183120471735513

Warning: rude- change the *** for a common three letter word for backside.

And I've heard the pink octopus hat has its own Fb page as well.

Actually, it has a few, according to the article I read.

It's actually kind of brilliant to auction it for charity, I hope it gets a good sum.

The starting bid is £5000, by Duncan Bannatyne, the proceeds will be split between Unicef and Children In Crisis.  I liked the hat already, now I love it, and Beatrice's response to all the criticism she's received seems like a great example of grace under fire!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Princess-Beatrice-Royal-Wedding-Hat-Philip-Treacy-/230620500557?pt=Women_s_Accessories_UK&hash=item35b20d924d#ht_2595wt_1141
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:01:07 PM by Larrabee »

MyFamily

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2011, 05:39:32 PM »
I am not a fan of the hat, and know very little about Princess Beatrice (except that I'm not fond of her choices of head gear), but I am thinking she is a smart young lady right now.  She took something that was making her look bad and she is making herself to look very good.  Perhaps her mother should take lessons from her.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2011, 06:25:22 PM »
I am not a fan of the hat, and know very little about Princess Beatrice (except that I'm not fond of her choices of head gear), but I am thinking she is a smart young lady right now.  She took something that was making her look bad and she is making herself to look very good.  Perhaps her mother should take lessons from her.

I agree. She's really turned this to her favour.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Poppea

« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2011, 07:14:09 PM »
Speaking of Dukes of York - The last two Kings were Dukes of York who were not expected to inherit the throne.*

Considering the current Duke of York, that's a little scary.

*George V's older brother died before his father, and George VI's brother abdicated.  Neither had children.  Since the current Prince of Wales has William and Henry, I doubt it will be a problem.  Still...it is scary.

Two of the last three kings were Dukes of York.  Edward was the king, even though he hadn't been crowned.  His reign begain the minute his father died.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2011, 08:34:54 PM »

I think that even if she hadn't tried to sell access to her ex-husband, her habit of going on any talk show that will have her and airing dirty laundry would have put paid to an invitation. The royals do not appreciate being talked about by family/former family unless it's positive, and even then they're wary. For good reason, I admit.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

wendelenn

« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2011, 11:14:44 PM »
Frankly, I pity anyone who marries into the royal family. It's a minefield.

Edited to add: Not maligning Will and Harry, who seem like good guys. It's the general royal family culture I'm referring to.

Completely agree, Kate Middleton seems like a nice girl and all, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to become a part of that craziness.  I hope she doesn't end up regretting it.  :(

I like to think of it as a testament to how much she loves Will.

I hope so, but she did know he was a prince when she started dating him!

Its interesting, there must be lots of people who feel the opposite way because when it was announced that Prince William would be going to St Andrews for uni their applications went up by about 500% or some similarly insane figure, nearly all females!  I even had a friend who applied there specifically with the goal of meeting Prince William and convincing him to marry her!

Queen Elizabeth (the late Queen Mother) turned down the Duke of York (George VI) twice because she didn't want to deal with all the royal hassle.  At the time they were married, nobody really believed that the Duke would succeed George V.  

She always did seem to be quite sensible to me.  She did love him deeply, though, so I guess she weighed the options and decided he was worth it.

"I turned down your first two marriage proposals, not because I didn't love you, but because I couldn't bear the thought of a Royal life. . . Then I thought to myself, 'but he stammers so beautifully'. . . "

Helena Bonham Carter and Colin Firth did that scene so wonderfully. . .  :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 11:18:16 PM by wendelenn »
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2011, 11:52:21 PM »

Edited to add: Not maligning Will and Harry, who seem like good guys. It's the general royal family culture I'm referring to.

Completely agree, Kate Middleton seems like a nice girl and all, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to become a part of that craziness.  I hope she doesn't end up regretting it.  :(

Its interesting, there must be lots of people who feel the opposite way because when it was announced that Prince William would be going to St Andrews for uni their applications went up by about 500% or some similarly insane figure, nearly all females!  I even had a friend who applied there specifically with the goal of meeting Prince William and convincing him to marry her!

Queen Elizabeth (the late Queen Mother) turned down the Duke of York (George VI) twice because she didn't want to deal with all the royal hassle.  At the time they were married, nobody really believed that the Duke would succeed George V.  

She always did seem to be quite sensible to me.  She did love him deeply, though, so I guess she weighed the options and decided he was worth it.

"I turned down your first two marriage proposals, not because I didn't love you, but because I couldn't bear the thought of a Royal life. . . Then I thought to myself, 'but he stammers so beautifully'. . . "

Helena Bonham Carter and Colin Firth did that scene so wonderfully. . .  :)

Completely agree, Kate Middleton seems like a nice girl and all, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to become a part of that craziness.  I hope she doesn't end up regretting it.  :(

Its interesting, there must be lots of people who feel the opposite way because when it was announced that Prince William would be going to St Andrews for uni their applications went up by about 500% or some similarly insane figure, nearly all females!  I even had a friend who applied there specifically with the goal of meeting Prince William and convincing him to marry her!

Queen Elizabeth (the late Queen Mother) turned down the Duke of York (George VI) twice because she didn't want to deal with all the royal hassle.  At the time they were married, nobody really believed that the Duke would succeed George V.   

She always did seem to be quite sensible to me.  She did love him deeply, though, so I guess she weighed the options and decided he was worth it.

Helena Bonham Carter and Colin Firth did that scene so wonderfully. . .  :)

They did, didn't they?  But I do think it was quite real - Elizabeth Bowes-Lyons never expected to have more than a minor public role.

I'll admit that I do have a bit of a bone to pick re all the late-Diana accolades - that she was the first royal mother to give her children a taste of the "real" people i.e. there was an assertion that she was the first to ever take royal children on the subway.  Not true at all - Elizabeth and Margaret's nanny did that back in the 1930s.  Hardly earth-shaking, I know, but still.  And while the girls were tutored at home (not unusual for upper-class girls at the time) there were still mainstream-opportunities such as the palace Girl Guide unit, and Princess Elizabeth's compulsory military service near the end of WWII.  I do admire that William and Harry have a good deal of the "common touch" but I sure don't think that their father had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Elizabeth II/Philip's decision to send their young children to boarding schools got some raised-eyebrow reactions at the time (1950-60s) when the public still was used to royal children being tutored at home.  But it was really the most "normal" situation for the children at the time, as opposed to being on nonstop security-patrol at day schools.  And look at Princess Anne.  For a long time she was considered the most unpopular Royal - probably because she didn't give a fig about what journalists/photographers wanted to see.  Even when she wasn't being a champion equestrienne, she was mucking about doing work for charities such as the Save The Children Fund, rather than appearing in formal gowns at charity balls.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2011, 12:27:54 AM »

I think that even if she hadn't tried to sell access to her ex-husband, her habit of going on any talk show that will have her and airing dirty laundry would have put paid to an invitation. The royals do not appreciate being talked about by family/former family unless it's positive, and even then they're wary. For good reason, I admit.

Given William's staunch desire for privacy (and who can blame him after his mother's fate??), I think it would've been a cold day in Hades before anyone who had tried to sell access to the family would be invited to his wedding.  Fergie made her own bed, she can lie in it.  Going on Oprah to complain about it is gauche, especially since she's just doing it to promote her new show.  Originally, she was very understanding about the lack of an invitation.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2011, 08:22:07 AM »

I agree. She's really turned this to her favour.

I think I'm developing a bit of a girl crush on Princess Beatrice.  :) I am totally jealous of her big doe eyes.
The status is not quo!

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2011, 08:26:37 AM »
^ I quite agree. Eugenie is really pretty as well.
NE England

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2011, 12:34:03 PM »
^ I quite agree. Eugenie is really pretty as well.

POD. I think they're adorable.  :)

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."