Author Topic: I think I had an encounter with an Ehellion today  (Read 7242 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
I think I had an encounter with an Ehellion today
« on: May 12, 2011, 05:32:05 PM »
My DH bought my a gift certificate to a spa that I used to enjoy going to but the last two times were bad experiences, so I had crossed them off my list 4 years ago.  I thought he was aware, but I guess I haven't mentioned any new names of places I've been, so he went retro. 

Even though the gift certificate is non refundable, I decided to just try to get a refund because there was no way I was going back.  I had a really bad experience.  The first assitant mgr listened to my recounting of the poor experience I had and said, "I sympathize, but a refund is just not possible."  I reponded with, "Well, let me speak with whomever can make it possible."  General Manager then listens with sympathy to my tale of woe, but also responds with "I'm sorry, but it's not possible."  He suggests that I use it for products instead.  I explain that I don't have a desire to spend $130 on the products in his salon.  He then tries to explain that their system doesn't allow refunds.  I ask he that means if I came in and someone destroyed my hair, he wouldn't offer to fix it plus refund my money?  "Well of course, I would"... "Well, then it is possible."  him:  "I'm sorry, it really isn't possible."  me:  "You mean company policy makes it impossible?"  him: "We'll yes."  me:  "Ok, tell me who makes company policy".   His next suggestion made me laugh:  "Why don't you give it as a gift?  I'll be glad to remake the certificate to have someone else's name."  Yea, like I'm going to send a friend that I'm willing to give a $130 to a spay I don't trust.  After listenging to additional details on why I will not patronize his salon (including being disconnected 4 times while I was trying to speak to a manager) He finally realized his only next step "We'll let me talk to our corporate office."  He called back within the hour with approval to refund the money.

During the entire encounter, every time I heard, "I'm afraid that's not possible"  I wanted to ask if they were an Ehellion.  A small part of me felt like I should have accepted their response and left it alone.  But I really couldn't stand the thought of that company having any of our money.

So tell me, and I loosing some of my pretty eHellion shine with this encounter, or was I ok since it was a business transaction?     

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: I think I had an encounter with an Ehellion today
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 05:36:34 PM »
I think you were just fine. You were persistent, but not impolite. Being polite doesn't mean being a doormat. Good for you!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 05:43:49 PM »
- your previous experience with was extremely unsatisfactory
- there was no way you would use their services or products
- you didn't call anyone names
- you didn't pout
- you didn't claim that the exception should be because you're the queen of snowflakes
- you remained calm and cooperative

I think you were pushing it because you were very persistent, but ultimately I think that you're clear because none of your individual actions were rude.  You used logic and empathy to persuade the manager rather than being so annoying he just wanted to get rid of you.

Incidentally, if corporate had denied your request, would you have accepted that?
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 05:49:11 PM »
It sounds like you were being a special snowflake.  He bought a non-refundable gift certificate.  It was your husband's mistake.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

hjaye

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 06:12:40 PM »
It sounds like you were being a special snowflake.  He bought a non-refundable gift certificate.  It was your husband's mistake.

There was nothing in her post that said there was anything on the gift certificate that stated it was nonrefundable, it was the manager telling her that it was nonrefundable, and she didn't accept that.  I agree with her, they have her money, there is nothing preventing them from going into the till and giving back the money, or issuing a credit to the credit card or sending her a check.  I think she did just fine.

Mikayla

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 06:37:03 PM »

There was nothing in her post that said there was anything on the gift certificate that stated it was nonrefundable, it was the manager telling her that it was nonrefundable, and she didn't accept that.  I agree with her, they have her money, there is nothing preventing them from going into the till and giving back the money, or issuing a credit to the credit card or sending her a check.  I think she did just fine.

Where are you getting this?  The OP said it was non-refundable, but she contacted the manager anyway.  So it doesn't sound like the manager made this up.  Also, it's pretty pro forma for gift cards and certificates to not be refundable.

But I'd stop short of calling her a special snowflake.  I just think it would have been better to address the poor service issue at the time it happened, rather than use it as leverage a couple years later to get cash for a refund (which was against corporate policy). 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 06:50:44 PM »
Last week, my sister and I visited a cousin in a town north of us.........the four of us (cousin's younger DD) went to a local nail salon/spa for manicures and/or pedicures.  The sugar scrubs & oil (exfoliate skin & moisturize) were great.  The massaging chairs were fabulous.  The nail services.........not so much.

I got "nicked" a couple of times when my cuticles were being trimmed (no bleeding - but I could FEEL the cut enough for my foot to jerk away from the young woman doing my feet).  The color is such a pale beige that I can't see if there are any unpainted areas near the cuticles around my toes.........I prefer a neutral color on my toenails - I didn't get my fingernails done due to how fast I tear the polish up..........

Every chair was filled and all the nail techs were busy - the manager(?) did Sis's nails.  There were gaps where there was no color (and she chose a red that made such gaps visible to anyone with anything close to normal vision) - she is far sighted but still had two gaps repainted before we left the spa.  The polish didn't go all the way to her cuticles on all three sides on ANY of the nails (I was looking at them later - two seats away from her in the spa). The next DAY (24 hours or less after the manicure) all the polish on her forefinger just "popped" off in an oval...........

I would not go back to that place on a bet...........even though my back LOVED the massage and I enjoyed the rest of the experience. 

I understand why the OP wouldn't want to go back to a given salon, even if a family member bought a gift certificate (I'm assuming that her spouse didn't remember her bad experience - only that she'd gone there "before").  I've noticed that my own spouse remembers "key words" but not always the details of a conversation - I can talk for ten minutes about something and he could tell me where I went - but didn't realize if I was ranting about a bad day or a good day.........because he was TIRED and not processing the conversation...........just saying "uh huh" and "oh" while not thinking at all.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Hillia

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 06:57:50 PM »

Where are you getting this?  The OP said it was non-refundable, but she contacted the manager anyway.  So it doesn't sound like the manager made this up.  Also, it's pretty pro forma for gift cards and certificates to not be refundable.

But I'd stop short of calling her a special snowflake.  I just think it would have been better to address the poor service issue at the time it happened, rather than use it as leverage a couple years later to get cash for a refund (which was against corporate policy). 

We don't have any indication that the OP didn't address the poor experience at the time it happened, just that her husband didn't remember it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Schmoopie3928

• I eat Paste
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 07:15:26 PM »

We don't have any indication that the OP didn't address the poor experience at the time it happened, just that her husband didn't remember it.

True, and I'm curious. If it was addressed, How long ago was it? Is it the same manager? Were the people that did a bad job in the past still there? If it was a new manager and all new staff I would think you should give them a chance of giving you a better experience.  If it was the same people as before, and you didn't say anything at the time of the incident(s), I would say it is snowflakey to bring it up now to get leverage to get a refund. If you did bring it up before, did he remember you?

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 07:28:37 PM »
Instead of wasting my time and energy trying to get a non-refundable gift certificate refunded, I would have sold it on Craigslist or Ebay for 20% less than it's worth.

BellyBionic

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 08:29:19 PM »
Sorry, but you knew it was non-refundable.  To me, one of the defining characteristics of a Special Snowflake is the belief that things like "non-refundable," "no returns," and "limit 1 per customer" are policies that only apply to other, less special people.  Your husband made the mistake, and his mistake is not the fault of the spa.  After years and years working in customer service, I have no patience or sympathy left for anyone who just keeps demanding to go up the chain of command until they get whatever they've decided they're entitled to.

amanda_tlg

• Keeper of the Cheerios
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 08:44:37 PM »
Sorry, but you knew it was non-refundable.  To me, one of the defining characteristics of a Special Snowflake is the belief that things like "non-refundable," "no returns," and "limit 1 per customer" are policies that only apply to other, less special people.  Your husband made the mistake, and his mistake is not the fault of the spa.  After years and years working in customer service, I have no patience or sympathy left for anyone who just keeps demanding to go up the chain of command until they get whatever they've decided they're entitled to.

I agree.

My first impulse would have also have been to sell it on ebay for maybe $20 or so less than face value

Hillia

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 09:32:59 PM »

I agree.

My first impulse would have also have been to sell it on ebay for maybe $20 or so less than face value

Ebay isn't the spol;ution to every unwanted item.  If you don't have a history as a seller, people won't bid on your item.  Then you have to set up an ebay account and a paypal account and pay the commissions.  Maybe sell it on craigslist or something, but ebay isn't the solution for the caswual one-off item.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 12:13:32 PM »

True, and I'm curious. If it was addressed, How long ago was it? Is it the same manager? Were the people that did a bad job in the past still there? If it was a new manager and all new staff I would think you should give them a chance of giving you a better experience.  If it was the same people as before, and you didn't say anything at the time of the incident(s), I would say it is snowflakey to bring it up now to get leverage to get a refund. If you did bring it up before, did he remember you?

Sorry, have had a busy morning. 

Yes, their website does list their gift certificate rules and if you click on it, it does say non-refundable.  You can then self print the certificate, which does say non-refundable.  So I was well aware when I called that I was asking them to break policy.

I used to use this salon once or twice a month about 10 years ago until I just couldn't handle their issues anymore and yes, I did discuss with them at the time, but they didn't resolve the problem so I quit going.  Then about 4 years ago, DH popped up with a gift certificate to there and they had opened a new branch, so decided to use it there.  That was the deal that really burned me (mentally and physically).  And I did address it at the time, but the manager basically tried to imply I was lying.  So that was it.  No way I was going back.  I'm pretty sure I told DH that I wouldn't be using them again, but I don't know if he forgot, or he thought I meant the new location. 

I did think about just selling it, as it is a very popular, high end salon.  But I was still so irritated from the treatment last time, I just couldn't stand them having any of my money.

I do understand why some would consider me a SS about this issue, and I will accept that. 

LadyRoxi

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 12:43:32 PM »

I did think about just selling it, as it is a very popular, high end salon.  But I was still so irritated from the treatment last time, I just couldn't stand them having any of my money.
[/quote]

I hate to point out that since your husband already paid for the gift certificate that they already have "your" money.

You do have my sympathy at a husband who didnt remember that you did not like the place.  I would too would hate to see the waste of money but that indeed is what it ended up being.  Nothing worse than having a gift certificate to a place that you do not like. 

I do think you were ok to try.  I do think this is a case of it doesn't hurt to ask, as the manager might have wanted to perhaps change your opinion with accomodating customer service, but it sounds like he wouldnt or couldnt do that.  After he pushed back and you asked about who makes that policy, thats where I do think you did go to far.