Author Topic: Racist comment at work..  (Read 9740 times)

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
Re: Racist comment at work..
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
Going to HR with this is exactly the right course of action.

Hopefully your company will toss this guy out on his butt.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 02:31:12 PM »
In S.A. there was a hard type of really big, round sweet (candy) that wass purplish in colour and used to be called n-word balls. (They were, however, delicious.) I have no idea what they're called now, but to be fair, as a child I had never heard the n-word and did not know it referred to people. I think I have heard schoolkids referring to those sweets by that name more recently, but again, we don't use the n-word here so I doubt the kids have any idea what they're really saying.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

BeagleMommy

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 03:28:55 PM »
Alot of my older relatives referred to brazil nuts that way.  Although when I was about 16 and said "You know, they're actually called brazil nuts" I was told I didn't know what I was talking about and that Brazil didn't grow nuts.  ::)  Anyone wonder why we don't associate with these relatives too often?

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 07:51:47 PM »
Although when I was about 16 and said "You know, they're actually called brazil nuts" I was told I didn't know what I was talking about and that Brazil didn't grow nuts. 

Obviously, they've never seen Charlie's Aunt.  "Brazil -- where all the nuts are from!"
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

figleaf

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 07:35:23 PM »
One of DH's aunts called Brazil nuts this ridiculous term the first time I met her (almost 20 years ago).  This was followed with a big belly laugh and a "I guess I shouldn't say that in front of the new girl!" (or something similar).  I just stared at her.  I had tried so hard to impress this boor up until that moment, as DH had described her as his most scary aunt, and the one whose opinion could make or break me with the family.  Well, guess what?  20 years later, I'm a happy and functioning member of DH's family (although distance does make the heart grow fonder, LOL), and I barely have contact with this "scary" aunt.  She's a bully, as are most people who say things to shock and offend.  Shortly after this and an attempt by "Scary" aunt's DIL to make me look stupid in front of DH's parents, DH admitted that he hated spending time with these family members because of their behavior, and we've kept things distant (and coldly cordial) for nearly 20 years.

In a work situation, you have more recourse than in a family situation, certainly document and report!  People like this are taking up good jobs that someone more deserving could have.  I'm flabbergasted that someone would be so rash and idiotic in this economy!