Author Topic: Interaction with yogurt flogger - was I rude?  (Read 4770 times)

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
Interaction with yogurt flogger - was I rude?
« on: May 15, 2011, 03:54:54 PM »
I rather think not, but what the heck. I do like to poll the populace.

The other day I was walking the Nom in his chariot to the train station. The chariot is small but steers like a cow, and the wind was very very high that day, so I was hanging on with both hands while trying to knife through the wind somehow. As I passed the Red Mango (a yogurt shop for those who don't know) a young man burst out of the doors and offered me a coupon.

Me: "No thank you, my hands are full."

Him: "It's free! Take one!"

Me: "No thanks."

Him: "But it's for yogurt!"

Me (turning to face him): "NO!"

He stopped short and then sullenly said, "You're welcome" to my retreating back.

Now, I do like yogurt. I especially like Red Mango. Under normal circumstances I would have been simply thrilled to take a coupon. But I could not release my grip on the stroller and risk it listing this way and that in the wind. Also, the guy was right up on me, thisclose, and I found that quite intrusive.

So, who was rude here? And would I be totally out of line dropping a note to management? Seriously, I could have felt his breath on my neck if it hadn't been a funhouse windtunnel that day.

tnpenguinbaby

Re: Interaction with yogurt flogger - was I rude?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 08:01:01 PM »
LOL I could understand if it was chocolate, but yogurt is just not enough to get that excited about!

LilacGirl1983

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 12:59:26 PM »
I think you were rude. If you stopped at the no thanks and kept walking and ignoring him that would have been polite but yelling at him even though he was really close was rude. I think it took more energy to yell then to just have ignored him and kept walking

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 03:26:58 PM »
I think you were rude. If you stopped at the no thanks and kept walking and ignoring him that would have been polite but yelling at him even though he was really close was rude. I think it took more energy to yell then to just have ignored him and kept walking

She wasn't rude for getting firm with someone who refused to take no for an answer.
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

Schmoopie3928

• I eat Paste
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 04:02:33 PM »

She wasn't rude for getting firm with someone who refused to take no for an answer.
ITA

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 04:12:09 PM »
Ditto on the OP not having been rude - the coupon guy didn't take no for an answer. 
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Shea

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »

I can't tell if the OP actually yelled (which I do think would have been rude) or if she just said no very firmly. If the latter, then no, she wasn't rude. Firmness is fine when someone won't back off.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

magician5

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 06:50:06 AM »
I had to read this thread just to find out what a "yogurt flogger" might be. I can't erase from my mind the picture of someone with a whip beating the devil out of a bowl of fermenting milk.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

boxy

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 08:51:38 PM »
You were not rude - the dud was!  "No" is a complete sentence.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 04:06:24 AM »
Ditto on the OP not having been rude - the coupon guy didn't take no for an answer. 
POD. Two "No, thanks you"s are quite clear.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 03:48:44 PM »
Yogurt guy was rude.  OP was not.  How many different ways could she be expected to say "no"?