Author Topic: Restoring my faith in humanity!  (Read 2178 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
Restoring my faith in humanity!
« on: May 21, 2011, 09:31:44 AM »
Here are three examples of how people really can be beautiful inside.

Scenario 1
I left my camera in a local bar. Stupid me. Dumb me. I went back to the bar and asked whether or not anyone had handed it in. Someone had. I got my camera back. I was convinced I had lost that due to my own stupidity.

Scenario 2
I recently took a taxi cab from town back home. I had my mobile (cell) phone in my pocket and it fell out (I no longer wear that jacket now I know it has a hole in it lol). I called the phone from work and the taxi driver answered it. I explained the situation and the taxi driver offered to take it to the depot so I could collect it from there. I profusely thanked the driver, purchased a thank you card and enclosed some cash as thanks for him making that journey to make sure I got my phone back.  He really didn't have to do that but I was so grateful to him.

Scenario 3
I left my wallet behind in a shop at work (early in the morning, didn't realise I had dropped it rather than put it back in my bag). Someone picked it up and handed it in to security for me.  The lady didn't leave her name or any details, and none of the cash in the wallet was touched.  I was stunned to get that back, considering it was the 3rd item I had "lost" in the past 3 weeks.

Now I am sure I have a guardian angel looking after me. The lesson I have learned from this is to make absolute sure that I have everything with me in my bag before leaving anywhere, and be more careful with my belongings (I am terrible for losing things!!!!!!!!!!!). Maybe I should just tie everything to my wrists with string!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But these people really have restored my faith in humanity - not everyone is money-grubbing, a thief or deceitful. There are some genuinely sweet people out there and I have been incredibly lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Ms_Shell

Re: Restoring my faith in humanity!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 09:36:41 AM »
About ten years ago, I was working as a waitress in a restaurant when there was a pretty bad snowstorm.  I hopped in my car to get to work, but the turn I had to take was on a slippery road.  I spun out of control and completely demolished a mailbox belonging to a car repair business.  However, the owner came outside, asked if I was all right, insisted on checking the car to make sure it was still safe to drive, and sent me on my way, never even mentioning the mailbox.  I still remember him fondly! 
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 02:25:41 PM »
I've mentioned it before, but it bears repeating here.  I left my wallet behind on the counter of a fabric store in Annapolis.  When I realized that I had done so, I called the fabric store.  No, no one turned in a black wallet, or any wallet.

As I was in the midst of cancelling all my credit cards and so on, I got a phone call from my auto insurance office in Linthicum.  Because there was no ID in the wallet with an address (my driver's license had been in my pocket) the finder had driven 20 miles to turn it in to the only place that could contact me.  Everything was completely intact.  The cards in the wallet weren't in the same order, but if they went through it looking for ID, that would be logical.

I've always wished I could thank them.  I can't, so we've passed it on.  Shortly after that, we found a driver's license in a rental car, and mailed it back to the owner. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Vesper

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 08:45:26 AM »
I went out partying one night and came home a little, ah, worse for wear. When I woke up the next morning, I realized that my mobile was missing! So after calling all my friends in the hopes of one of them having it, I get a phone call from a complete stranger letting me know that they had my phone and if we should meet somewhere so that they can return it to me. We met up, I got my phone back and she was so nice! Turns out I dropped it outside of a bar getting into a taxi.  :P

hardia

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 01:38:13 PM »
My choir gave a concert recently and during warm ups one of my friends was quite upset, as she had left her music folder in the cab on her way over.  She had hailed the cab on the street and wasn't even sure what company it was (our city has several different cab companies), so wasn't sure how to go about tracking it down, but was planning to just get on the phone and start calling around.  Halfway through warm up one of our choir managers who had been out in the lobby came in, with the folder -- the cab driver had found it in his back seat and returned to the church to drop it off!

Ontario, Canada

ArizonaGirl77

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 01:54:03 PM »
Back in 2002 I was getting ready to take a road trip with my, then, fiancee. Due to this I had my wallet with $2,000 dollars in cash that I was getting ready to run and deposit in my bank account.

On my way to the bank I stopped to get gas and paid with my credit card then got gas, got back in my car and drove off to the bank. However, once getting to the bank I realized I didn't have my wallet. Then I remembered that I had set it on top my car while I got gas! I drove back to the gas station checking along the route, but no luck! I was devastated as that was all the money I had at the time.

Cue me getting to fiance's house and crying all over him when there is a knock on the door. A nice couple had found my wallet on the side of the road and picked it up. Most amazingly was that my driver's license had an address 45 minutes away but they had noticed a piece of paper in the wallet with a Local City Address on it and decided to try that address first - and there I was! All my money, credit cards, checkbook, everything was intact! I tried to give them money but they wouldn't take it.

To this day I am thankful to those people! Oh, and I learned not to put my wallet on my car when I was filling up with gas!

kitty-cat

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 04:34:13 PM »
I once lost my wallet at a dinner and a show theatre after I saw Little Shop there. Apparently it had fallen out of my purse after I had gotten a sweet tea. (water/soda was included in ticket, tea was extra)

Thankfully someone turned it into the main desk and one of my friends was able to go and get it for me. Very grateful to whoever turned it in too- it had my spending money for the week in it. (otherwise known as my lunch money)

NE Florida

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 05:06:58 PM »
To this day I am thankful to those people! Oh, and I learned not to put my wallet on my car when I was filling up with gas!
Never put ANYTHING on the roof/hood of your car.  Sooner or later you will forget to get it down.  Mine was a diaper bag.  I set it up there while I dealt with getting my baby into her car seat, and forgot to take it down again.  I've also heard (what I hope is an urban legend) that some people have left a baby in a carrier on the roof of the car.   :o

ETA: Snopes says it's true, and it has happened multiple times: http://www.snopes.com/autos/mishaps/babyroof.asp
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:11:14 PM by Elfmama »
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 05:24:50 PM »
Never put ANYTHING on the roof/hood of your car.  Sooner or later you will forget to get it down.  Mine was a diaper bag.  I set it up there while I dealt with getting my baby into her car seat, and forgot to take it down again.  I've also heard (what I hope is an urban legend) that some people have left a baby in a carrier on the roof of the car.   :o

ETA: Snopes says it's true, and it has happened multiple times: http://www.snopes.com/autos/mishaps/babyroof.asp
If you have to put something down to open the door - put it on the drivers side of the hood up by the windshield.

I left my kindle at the grocery store. A man found it but couldn't turn it because the customer service desk was closed and the employee he could find (this was late at night) wouldn't take it. (I know who he was talking about - the man has some type of developmental delay and seems to follow strict scripts). He went home and made a sign that he posted on the door. I called him. He asked what was behind the kindle and I described a picture of my nieces and nephew. He met me at the grocery store. The case now has my phone number written in it.

On the down side he got a couple of phone calls from people trying to claim it. But they didn't know about the photograph and couldn't give him the password to open it.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

jmarvellous

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 06:12:06 PM »
My then-bf and I went to a show, then to dinner. When we got out of the car, he felt for his wallet and realized it wasn't in his pocket. We frantically felt all around the car, no dice. We were much closer to our house than the theater, so I suggested we go back home and see if he'd just forgotten to put it in his pocket. He said no, so we drove 20 minutes back to the theater. They were just locking the doors and the security guard was walking away. We frantically beat on the door till he turned around.

We asked to go up to our seats, but he directed us to the customer service desk (where a volunteer was still tidying up). She asked us to describe the wallet, realized that she recognized BF from the photo ID, then gave it to us.

The best part? The volunteer's comment:
"Oh, we NEVER don't find things people lose. They're always turned in to us right away." Guess theatergoers are good people!

(I had turned in a guy's wallet just the week before that I spotted while driving. The police got it to him ASAP.)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 09:09:09 AM »
Just remembered this one. We were flying to PEI. We got off the plane at one of connections. We were 1/2 way through the terminal, when Dad realized his wallet was missing. In addition to our travelers checks - Dad always had several hundred dollars in both US and Canadian currency when we traveled. ber

We left Sis and Mom with the luggage and ran back towards the plane. We were running down one of those moving sidewalks, when we heard "Mr. Herbert, Mr. Herbert" An attendant from our flight was on the opposite moving side walk - holding up Dad's wallet.

They had spotted it and she was running to catch us. (I want to say this was Toronto and she was trying to catch us at customs. ).

When we go to Nanna's house the first thing Dad did was write Air Canada praising the attendant for saving our vacation.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future