Etiquette School is in session! > "What an interesting assumption."

"Babies having babies!"

(1/16) > >>

Piratelvr1121:
So last night I was sitting in line waiting to be allowed into the theater to see Pirates 4 (Wonderful, BTW!) and was the first in line since I got there good and early.  A couple and their great nephew (I know cause the man was quite talkative and told me as much) sat down on the floor next to me and at one point he nodded towards a young woman with a baby on her hip and said "She looks like a teenager. Man, so many babies having babies these days!" (He looked to be in his 50's or maybe 60's-I'm a terrible judge of age based on looks)

I looked at the young woman who admittedly DID look like a teen and while I didn't say "That's an interesting assumption", I said "Hm, I think I probably looked about her age when I had my first child 10 years ago."  He gave me a surprised look and asked "YOU have KIDS?" (I was alone and in a Jack Sparrow sweatshirt and jeans I probably didn't look particularly motherly. LOL) I nodded and said "Yep, two boys, 10 and 8.  I was 22 when I had my first..."

He blinked at me and then looked at the young woman with the baby and said "Oh...well, that's a good age..." 

As someone who is frequently mistaken for being younger (and I'm not complaining! LOL!) I guess I tend to be less likely to assume that just because a girl who LOOKS like a teen and is holding a baby on her hip that she's a teen mother.

Eisa:
While I don't have children, I totally understand about looking younger! :D I'm 23, and the oldest someone has thought I am is 18 or 19. I've even been mistaken for as young as 12 before. It's...frustrating.

kherbert05:
Why does the person holding the child have to be a parent. It can be a cousins, aunt, or older siblings. I was lectured a couple of times for being a teen mom - the children in question are 1st cousins once removed.

Lisbeth:
When I was a kid, I once mistook a woman holding a small child and singing to her as the child's mother.  She told me she was the child's grandmother.  I thought she looked young enough to be the child's mother-I couldn't have been more than six myself.

Piratelvr1121:

--- Quote from: kherbert05 on May 21, 2011, 06:43:45 PM ---Why does the person holding the child have to be a parent. It can be a cousins, aunt, or older siblings. I was lectured a couple of times for being a teen mom - the children in question are 1st cousins once removed.

--- End quote ---

I thought of that too.  I'm the oldest of 16 grandkids so there were times when holding a cousin I could have been mistaken for a teen mother.  And my brother was mistaken a few times in the past for being the boy's father when he was out alone with them and a teenager.   (He was 15 when Pirateboy 1 was born)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version