Author Topic: That won't be possible, but you could try this instead...  (Read 5062 times)

Samgirl2

That won't be possible, but you could try this instead...
« on: May 23, 2011, 06:08:50 PM »
Iknow, I know, but I hate to say no straight out. I try, but it makes me feel better if I can offer them an alternative that solves their problem and doesn't involve me. Unless it's cold callers, then I have no problem :-)

So a friend of mine is taking a holiday next week. She is a really nice girl but she's notoriously tight when it comes to spending money. She has an early airport check-in (7am) and told me she was getting the bus to the airport (2 hours away) at 1.20am and would then wait around in the airport for a few hours and could I give a lift to the bus station at around 1am.

If it was the weekend then sure of course I would, but I have to work the next day and I just can't be out that late. I said 'I couldn't do that, it was too late and I had to work. How about she take an earlier bus and stay in an airport hotel the night before so she'll be fresh for the flight' and recommend a good but cheap one I have used before. Hurrah, problem solved I thought..

Nope.

She suggested I drive her to the bus station at midnight instead and she could read a book and wait for the bus. Now this bus station is really small and not busy and is not going to be well lit or populated at that time of night. I told her I really wasn't comfortable with leaving her there at that time of night but if she really wouldn't go earlier and stay in a hotel then why didn't she get a taxi to the bus station. She said she didn't think taxi's ran that late and it would be too complicated to arrange!!

So, I told her, 'sorry, I can't drive you that late and I'm not comfortable leaving you there either. Here's a taxi company that I have used, they run 24 hours and they are very reliable, have you tried the beandip'?

It felt good!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: That won't be possible, but you could try this instead...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 06:20:28 PM »

Nice!

I was in a similar situation this weekend. I can't believe i didn't even think to suggest a cab.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 02:28:12 PM »
You go samgirl2! Great job!

One Goat to Rule Them All

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 02:57:32 PM »
Good job! Don't forget you can always pull out the "Why would I want to do that?"

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 10:58:39 AM »
very nice boundary setting! good for you.
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 05:44:23 AM »
Very well done!

She could always take an earlier bus and just wait longer. When I was a kid my parents booked a cheap and very early morning flight. We spent the entire night at the airport hall - eating crisps, reading, trying to sleep in a chair. Well, we were broken the day after, but it was cheap :) It can be done.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 11:43:06 AM »
Too difficult to arrange for a taxi?  ???

Yes, I suppose that taxis normally don't want business, and would not think of jumping at the chance to get a fair. Yeah, that's the ticket....
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."