Author Topic: Social Networking Etiquette  (Read 3714 times)

McCutieBelle

Social Networking Etiquette
« on: May 30, 2011, 06:38:41 PM »
I have been thinking lately, for those who have twitter and facebook may follow or "friend" actors and what not. Some are run by a fan or their publicist but I do know of several that are run by the actor themselves. They read what is "tweeted" to them and they can interact with fans. Some tweets can get vicious or vulgar. I have found it makes some people think they "know" the actor or actress.

It got me to wonder if this technology existed back in say the 50's and 60's would we be able to tweet to Marilyn Monroe and Joan Crawford? It seems a bit crazy.

It seems like the magic of Hollywood and stars are gone now. Once there was Rita Hayworth...now we have Snooki.... Do you think there is a danger now with such close interactions? Do you tweet or message actors on Facebook?
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Social Networking Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 07:34:30 PM »
The closest I have come is posting to Bonnie Hunt's wall about how much Imiss her show and how i wish her sitcom was available on DVD.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 08:03:03 PM »
It seems like the magic of Hollywood and stars are gone now. Once there was Rita Hayworth...now we have Snooki.... Do you think there is a danger now with such close interactions? Do you tweet or message actors on Facebook?

I do not, and I'll tell you why. I'm not terribly interested in the actors/actresses themselves, I'm interested in their work. If I see that someone who I've enjoyed has had a baby or gotten married, I'll think, "How nice," but I don't really want that faux-closeness that Twitter and Facebook can create. I don't really know them, and I prefer it that way.

If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 11:34:13 PM »
Not actors, but musicians/producers yeah and i've seen some cringe-worthy stuff,  but try to be appropriate myself.

Mikayla

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 11:44:42 PM »
I'm sort of eclectic.  I follow about 6 or 7.  Three are musicians, a couple are NFL players, and one is a politician who I know personally.  I steer clear of actors and TV types for some reason.

Akarui Kibuno

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 01:46:05 AM »
Sometimes I follow them (Korean celebrities apparently use Twitter a lot, but I follow them for the pictures they sometimes post, as I do not read Korean :P) , sometimes I do post quick messages to them if I agree with something they are saying.

I don't see it as me being close to the actor/artist, it's more of an easy way to send a message, that may or may not be read especially when the star has tons of followers.
My FB rants blog (English) - My personal site (French)
A click on one of the ads every so often would help a lot if possible. Thank you <3 .

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 02:46:52 AM »
Do you tweet or message actors on Facebook?

Actors, not so much. Newspeople, political figures, and musicians, yes. A few news figures, musicians, and at least two well-known comics actually followed me before I followed them, presumably based on interactions and/or retweets.

L.A. Lady

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 06:30:45 PM »
I'm not on Twitter, but I think if a celebrity has a public Twitter or Facebook account, I don't see the problem.

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 05:02:12 AM »
I'm not on Twitter, but I think if a celebrity has a public Twitter or Facebook account, I don't see the problem.

No, and usually if the accounts are public they are set up for this particular purpose anyway.

I follow one or two people you'd consider famous, mainly because their tweets are great.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

McCutieBelle

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 10:11:11 AM »
From my end, working with high profile people I see the tweets they get and the fan encounters from said people and it is worrisome
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

silvercelt

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 01:42:24 PM »

Agreed.   I am a fan of three celebrity pages (Zach Levi, Eliza Dushku, and Matthew Gray Gubler) on Facebook.  I'm not sure why- I like their work, and then just seemed like interesting people, I suppose.  I personally never reply to anything they post, but I do like seeing the updates of what they're working on (and sometimes some really strange and crazy drawings and photos from MGG.)

Eliza Dushku in particular regularly posts updates, pictures, and sometimes short videos to her fans.  I don't see that any of them have very personal interactions with their fans; they post, hundreds and hundreds of comments are made, but the only one who ever really responds to something the fans post is Zach Levi.

If I were a celebrity, I'd probably have a page and post random items,  but not read most of the comments.  Some of the comments, especially for ED, are offensive and creepy.  There are also the normal 5 gazillion "You are so hot and I want to marry you!" comments; as a celebrity I'd be sick to death of that after a while.

I think these types of pages are an easy way to "sort of" interact with fans while still keeping your distance (and possibly sanity).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:44:51 PM by silvercelt »

O'Dell

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 02:31:58 PM »
I think there have always been risks of being a celebrity: lack of privacy, stalkers, letting the celebrity mess with their perspective on the world. I don't see how Twitter or Facebook changes that for the better or the worse. Back in the day there were fan clubs with assistants doing the interaction on behalf of the celebrity, same for those using them on Twitter/FB today. And for the fans...I think the same thing goes. They may feel more connected to the person they are a fan of, but it's superficial and all involved normally realize that.

I don't do Twitter, but on Facebook I'm a fan of only one celebrity and he does his own posts. I actually don't even care for his movies, I just have seen interviews and he seemed like a great guy. Someone who I'd be happy to know if he weren't a celebrity. His posts confirmed my view of him. :)
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 03:29:52 PM »

No, and usually if the accounts are public they are set up for this particular purpose anyway.

I follow one or two people you'd consider famous, mainly because their tweets are great.

Yep and I tend to follow accounts more if the celeb verifies that it's them posting, not PR.

Shea

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 06:52:19 PM »

I do not, and I'll tell you why. I'm not terribly interested in the actors/actresses themselves, I'm interested in their work. If I see that someone who I've enjoyed has had a baby or gotten married, I'll think, "How nice," but I don't really want that faux-closeness that Twitter and Facebook can create. I don't really know them, and I prefer it that way.

You took the thoughts right out of my brain. I really have no interest in my favorite actors'/authors'/musicians' personal lives, I just enjoy their work.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 05:20:46 AM »
Some people use it for spoilers, getting hints from actors or musicians.