Author Topic: Train Ride Questions  (Read 383 times)

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
Train Ride Questions
« on: June 08, 2011, 06:21:05 PM »
Mom just reserved my train ticket for next week. I haven't been on a train since I was 5, and obviously Mom took care of things then.

I've been looking at the baggage policy, and I can have up to 2 50lb carry on bags of a certain dimension (forget the numbers and that's not the issue anyway), plus personal items that don't count toward that limit, including purses and laptop bags.

I'm guessing they have overhead compartments, and that's where my question comes in. I'm bringing a laptop for use at my parents' house. I may or may not decide to carry it on with me. If I check it, I will find a way to lock my bag.

If I bring it with me, can I safely stow it in the overhead compartment and leave it there if I leave my seat? I plan to pack my empty purse in my checked bag, and put the contents in my carry-on to eliminate one bag, but I'm not sure how to handle the laptop. All the rest of my electronics (phone, Zune, Kindle) will fit in pockets or my carry-on, which will be easy enough to carry with me to the restroom or wherever, and I intend to do that. I'm just not sure how to handle the laptop.

Any other advice would be great, too. This is actually the first trip I've ever taken by myself when I wasn't just driving somewhere.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Train Ride Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 06:27:25 PM »
I would not check a laptop or leave it unattended.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 07:34:35 PM »
How long is your train ride?  If it's overnight, I hopy your mother got you a sleeper-much more comfortable than sleeping in a seat.

Make copies of all reservations, and leave a set at home.

Make sure you know your train number, so you can get back on if you stop somewhere.  Take care that you know how long a stop is.

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 07:53:25 PM »
How long is your train ride?  If it's overnight, I hopy your mother got you a sleeper-much more comfortable than sleeping in a seat.

Make copies of all reservations, and leave a set at home.

Make sure you know your train number, so you can get back on if you stop somewhere.  Take care that you know how long a stop is.

Ooh, extra reservation copies, I wouldn't have thought of that. I'll have DH print two copies for me.

It's a 7 hour trip, leaving at 7am Monday morning and 2pm the next Tuesday to come home. I probably won't get off the train but I'll make sure I have all that information if I do. Maybe I'll have DH print the train schedule too, so I'll know when the longer stops are. I think there might be a lunch stop that's a little longer.

half_dollars

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 10:34:13 PM »
Many years ago (about 13), I took the Eurorail through Europe.  I had locks on my bags plus a bike lock to lock the bag to the overhead rack for the times I fell asleep.  I also used the bike lock when in the sleeping car.  That might work, if you want to secure your bag?